Dave Penna's Toyota Cup team looking great

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
Great to watch Toyota cup game on weekend. What a great win, did anyone see the defence, Manly boys stopped at least 6 full sets on our goalline. Penna was known as a highly rated attacking player but he seems to have defensive plans downpat too. I really feel he is a big chance of taking over from Des. His teams play exciting footy and seem to have lots of structure. Some standouts to watch for include:
1. half Gary Riccardi: Brought down from qld with huge wraps, only young but just has awesome game and controls it well. Great kicker as well in general play. Seems to be similar to Hokko.
2. Hoppa jnr: great presence, knows when to chime in etc. Fantastic play at the back.
3. Front row: Lama Tasi (19): the wraps are out about him as listening to NZ commentators. He is in under 20 NZ team. Absolutely looks a great talent. He is really well built, runs like Moi Moi and hits hard. Another great thing is he plays loads of minutes for a big guy. Without doubt, the next player to look at our 1st grade squad in coming years. Wonderful build for a footy player, similar to Burgess.
4. Hooker Liam Higgins (19): every time I see him play he is just a genius at dummy half. He makes these wonderful scurries that gain huge yards but then hits players with quality ball to keep them moving forward. He kicks from dummy half and just looks quality. I did hear that Knights were sorry he left their club. Similar to Ballin but makes more yards out of dummy half.
5. Prop: James Cunningham (19): works great with Tasi. Not as big but gets around field really well. Always seems to get hit early but bounces back for more. I have heard he has been earmarked for better things for at least 2-3 years.

Shocking  player: On weekend Jack Webster filled in for Portlock. He is the shaggy blonde hair winger. I have watched him go thru sg ball etc and cannot belive he is in Toyota cup. Warriors scored at least 2-3 tries thru his wing. Must have some relative/official who has quality shots of Des or Penna with that sheep and pig lol.

Thanks Darren. Don't have Fox so haven't seen them this year but reports are promising. From past days when we struggled in lower age groups this is a huge bonus with promising young players coming through the ranks. A sprinkling of young stars in the top grade is a wonderful thing, unlike Brisbane and Canberra who many young players of potential but not too many wise heads to balance the team.

Hard to disagree with any of that, though I didn't watch Tasi as much.

You are right about the winger though. I mean all you need to do in wing is make sure you are standing in the right spot in attach and defense, he failed in that a few times.

Hoppa by far the best game from him I have seen. Looks good, but I I am concerned about him picking up quad injuries he looks a little shaky in that dept.

Higgins is an outstanding prospect and Darren is spot on, runs out of Dummy half makes metres and always testing the line. Good prospect

I liked the look of the squad, although there is a huge difference between U20s and first grade.  I like the way Des is holding back players and give them more time to learn.  Hoppa is good, but needs more time to grow.  David Sheehan looked good.

Great post Darren. Penna had more "stars" to work with last year so I have been interested to see how he goes this season. The excellent teamwork and resilience has continued which I also think makes him a great prospect for future 1st grade honours.
They had a poor game against the Knights but hit back well on Sunday. The Warriors team weren't great defenders but they could attack ok which made that defensive effort in the second half (when score was 18-12) a top class effort. It was six pretty full sets on their line and that is a rarity in u20s where defence is de thing that goes around de outside of de field.

Hey DSM5, are you sure the DS in your name doesn't stand for David Sheehan?

A very talented and good looking guy don't you think Bradza?  And I must agree with that rock solid defense in the second half.  Just terrific and showed the big guys what to do.  I really must go to Auckland next year.

I liked the look of the short stocky fella that came on, he took some bringing down, can't remember his name, Pakahura or something

I think he was from local NSW cup side Mounties!! It was interesting to hear the commentary and the commentators rattling off quite a few of our players from NZ!! I can remember a few years ago we getting smashed and having no kids coming thru. When you consider from last years team, foran, jarrod and lussick and hoppa all being placed in nrl 1st grade squads that is a great achievement by Crusher and co. From this years 2010 team I reckon all the players I mentioned in my first post could have big futures in making nrl squads to start. 

I thought Jowett was pretty handy as well.

100% agree with Higgins, very very impressive. Tasi was definitely overshadowed by Cunningham. I like the look of him. David Sheehan was pretty impressive, and as Darren said, that shagger was pretty ordinary.

hey volley, that "shagger" was absolutely horrendous when I used to go watch sg ball and you go thank the Lord we won't see him again and he pops up in toyota cup, he's pretty small and skinny, he ain't quick, always seems to have tries sccored against him and gets hammered every time he runs the ball up. I can't believe when NZ scored those 2 quick tries on his and Sheehan's side that they didn't keep going down there  ::) Cronulla coach must surely pick this up this weekend.

Jowett is really solid without anything flash, hrad runner and never shirks the tough stuff! Stromquist is bit younger and in junior games played front row but he ain't as big as Cunnungham and others. Liam Higgins has nrl written all over him at this stage, only problem is where do we eventually fit him?? Stupid under 20's needs another year. Some club could pick up a really good hooker if we don't watch out. 

The team is going to do it tough over the next few weeks as injury toll starting to mount

Portlock  3 more weeks
Whare    ?? 1 week
Bennett  3 more weeks
Lippiard  3 - 4 weeks
Young  8- 10 weeks
Stolk      ??

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4