Daniel Gartner – 1992 to 1999

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Daniel Gartner came through the Manly junior ranks with some illustrious company, players like Menzies, Kosef, Hopoate all came into grade at the same time and these players formed the core of the suc
epp-daniel-gartner.jpg
cessful Manly sides of the mid 1990s.

Gartner came from good footballing stock, his father Clive was a Bulldog stalwart while his cousin Russell was the star Manly centre of the late 1970s.

He came to Manly as an outside back but after a serious knee injury in 1993 he moved into the second row where he used his size and pace to great effect.

A reserve in the 1995 grand final loss to the Bulldogs, Gartner formed a lethal back row combination with Steve Menzies and Nik Kosef the following year which took Manly all the way to the 1996 premiership.  This combination which took the Eagles to two consecutive grand final appearances is arguably the club’s greatest back row in its 60 year history.

His strong running and the ability to step off both feet made him a handful for the opposition defensive teams.  He scored many long range individual tries running wide of the ruck on the right hand side of the field, like Menzies he relished running off mercurial five eight Cliff Lyons.

He was part of the Manly side that suffered a last minute defeat to the Newcastle Knights in the 1997 ARL grand final and was almost close enough to Andrew Jones to prevent him making the pass to Darren Albert who scored the match winning try.

After the Manly merger with Norths he played 19 games for the Northern Eagles and his form suffered in line with the disastrous union of the two old foes.  Northern Eagles coach Peter Sharp preferred veteran Adam Muir as the joint ventured went into the second and what would be the final season.

Regrettably for Manly supporters of the merged team he moved to the UK in 2001 to play for Bradford in the Super League.  Here he regained his form and was one of the key players that lead the Bulls to Challenge Cup, World Club Challenge and Super League trophies in the following seasons.

Gartner played 120 games for the Sea Eagles scoring 35 tries and although injury saw him unable represented his state he played one test for Australia against PNG.

Daniel Gartner – a great 2nd rower and a great example of what the merger did to Manly

Daniel Gartner came through the Manly junior ranks with some illustrious company, players like Menzies, Kosef, Hopoate all came into grade at the same time and these players formed the core of the successful Manly sides of the mid 1990s.

Read More

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
He certainly was. Are you enjoying these old ex-player profiles?

Dan said:

What I like is the rekindling of memories.

Through the decades we have had so many wonderful Players, some albeit briefly.

So when I see an old game, or this new feature of the 'feature filled Silvertails' :angel:, I am back at that particular game/era and all is right in the world.:rolleyes:

I found some old Team photos when I moved to my new PC, do you want me to post/PM them?

HappilyManly said:
Dan said:

What I like is the rekindling of memories.

Through the decades we have had so many wonderful Players, some albeit briefly.

So when I see an old game, or this new feature of the 'feature filled Silvertails' :angel:, I am back at that particular game/era and all is right in the world.:rolleyes:

I found some old Team photos when I moved to my new PC, do you want me to post/PM them?

We have about 40 total old player profiles, about 26 have been posted already. Every few days I am going to bump an old one onto the forum and add a new on that hasn't been posted, help people look at them.

The frontpages of our site are full of so much history and so much information and articles, I want people to start revisiting and adding to the front-end of the site, this can easily become one of the richest Manly Sea Eagles resources on the web, it already is, but I want to grow it more and more

How cool would it be if explayers came on here and answered questions from us.

My personal fav was Nik Kosef.

So come on Manly peeps that know explayers and I know a few of you do - put the feelers out

Garts could easily have had the same Manly c.v. as Menzies if not for the Beagles debacle. Great great Manly player & he deserves to be more highly remembered.

IMO, he would have himself a Churchill Medal if it wasn't for Tooves great game in the 96 GF.

I was bitterly dissapointed when Gartner left. Easily the worst player recruitment decision in the whole Beagles debacle as far as I am concerned! Especially for some of the Nevilles we had in his place. Glad he smashed it in the UK, which was never in doubt really. Hope he made a bucked full of $$$$ to compensate not being a 1 club Eagle which he richly deserved to be.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6