Dan - TGA medical files

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The study posted last week had doubt "I would not say there is definately a link there"

that is doubt!

In my 13 years of nursing, I have come across numerous cases of young people (particularly males) who have a mental illness (usually schizophrenia) where there is a history of cannibas usage. There is definately a strong corrolation between the smoking of pot & the start of mental illness in these cases.
Schizophrenia (& other mental illnesses) are seen as being caused by a chemical imblance in the brain. These people probably had a predisposition to a mental illness BUT it was the cannibas that just tipped them over.
It has been described to me by a few patients that it was just like one bad pot session that they have never recovered from. Some of the older nurses have said that it is just like when LSD was fashionable. One bad trip that never ended.....

In saying that, there are many pot smokers who are not predisposed to a mental illness who can quite happily go along sucking down their bongs without any major mental health issues!

Agree 100% and if people think there is no link between pot use and depression/ mental problems they are kidding themselves and have obviously not had alot to do with pot smokers/ ex-pot smokers.
I also agree that some people can suck down bongs until the cows come home with no issues.
As far as a already having the problems before they started smoking- well I've seen enough cases of peoples lifes being turned upside down because of it to see that this is not always true.
As far as scientific proof and what have you about linking pot use and depression- well just go down to your local mental institution or drug- rehab clinic and conduct some research- I'll sure you will find plenty of evidence to link the two!
While I'm not saying you have to experience smoking pot or directly know someone effected by it long term to know what your talking about -it would help to give more of an understanding of the situation/ what you are talking about!

Clontaago made a fair point. Drug abuse is generally a "direct result" of pre existing emotional problems in my opinion. My opinion is backed by ZERO data...just an opinion..

Alot of people could have pre-exisisting mental problems which haven't been triggered but it is the smoking that triggers it all off- without the pot it would never have appeared hence the link. Whether it be the the problem is born out of the pot (which I believe is true in some cases) or the pot brings the problem to the fore- it is the pot that is causing the problem and without it the problem would not have arisen.
Whether the problem was there in the first place or was born out of the pot use- it does link the two together!

Alot of people could have pre-exisisting mental problems which haven't been triggered but it is the smoking that triggers it all off- without the pot it would never have appeared hence the link. Whether it be the the problem is born out of the pot (which I believe is true in some cases) or the pot brings the problem to the fore- it is the pot that is causing the problem and without it the problem would not have arisen.
Whether the problem was there in the first place or was born out of the pot use- it does link the two together!

Yes PJ thats true, but so does alcohol and other drugs, not just pot.

I have two ex friends (I stopped talking to them because of their pot habit) who have mental issues. Both are extremely short tempered and aggressive and both have told me that they considered suicide on more than one occasion. These guys smoke non stop all day and to an outsider it would be quite easy to aportion blame to their use of pot, however I have known these guys since we were kids, they both come from separated families and both clearly had issues well before they started drinking and smoking.

[quote author=Goldie]

In saying that, there are many pot smokers who are not predisposed to a mental illness who can quite happily go along sucking down their bongs without any major mental health issues!

Agree 100% and if people think there is no link between pot use and depression/ mental problems they are kidding themselves and have obviously not had alot to do with pot smokers/ ex-pot smokers.
I also agree that some people can suck down bongs until the cows come home with no issues.

[/quote]

Hmmmm? Hardly conclusive.

I know what dan is saying. Without conclusive proof, marijuana cannot be soley blamed for mental problems in smokers.

I think, like the rest of us, deep down he probably knows there are links but without proof he will not yeild.

However, since true feelings aren't what win a debate, i'm with dan on this one.

Give me proof, not hearsay or bias.

[quote author=PJ]
[quote author=Goldie]

[/quote]

Hmmmm? Hardly conclusive.

I know what dan is saying. Without conclusive proof, marijuana cannot be soley blamed for mental problems in smokers.

I think, like the rest of us, deep down he probably knows there are links but without proof he will not yeild.

However, since true feelings aren't what win a debate, i'm with dan on this one.

Give me proof, not hearsay or bias.
[/quote]

I'm no scientist so I'm not going to be able to give you your proof and it's hardly bias if you've actually lived through/ with a situation it is just your life and all I'm doing is going off my experiences.
It is clearly a debate that will not be won from either side until scientific facts come about but just like the "Smoking Kills" message which we have been made more and more aware of throughout the years , after extentsive research eventually the facts will come to the fore to back the obvious figures that are already out there.
Emotion aside to discount the link simply shows ignorance and a lack of first hand knowledge of the situation.
I don't understand how you can argue against a nurse with 13 years experience TGA Medical files and while I'm not particularily proud of it , myself.
Sure it is not rock solid facts but to simply discount it for the sake of winning a farking arguement is an insult to people who have to deal with **** like this on a daily basis.
If you are in sooooo much doubt go speak to some doctors or drug councillors- maybe they might be able to help you.

Fonz we are clearly the only 2 here who know what a true debate is

I know what a debate is - it's where you need an adjudicator to decide the winner as far as I could see this is a forum and I am giving my opinion.
I've nominated why I have an interest in this issue and why I would support other peoples evidence due to them being nurses etc.- what can you bring to the table as far as your knowledge on the subject it seems you have a vast amount of knowledge ...or are you just out to win the debate and prove your intellectual worth?

I dont need to prove my intellectual worth.
If you are trying to tell me that there is a link then the onus of proof is on you

[quote author=Fro]
MAtas can you put something in your awards for the most circular thread

Dan is involved Fro what do you expect?

[/quote]

When no one can sufficiently answer a question then of course things will be circular until they can

If Tony Abbott as Health Minister had commissioned a report on weed use and consequences and it came back that all was ok - it would probably be buried. The same goes for probably 99% of any government sponsored studies so my guess is that these types of sponsored research will paint a negative picture. What percentage do these make up of the findings? Who the hell knows as nothing substantive has been presented in the claimed findings.

Apologies for being cynical - but almost everything presented to the public needs to be scrutinised carefully.

I wasnt pointing a finger at anyone Byso. theres a few guilty of circle land debating ;)

People in stone houses shouldnt throw glasses :)

Why don't you give proof that to the contrary?

because the onus of proof is not on me. **** man read the posts!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4