Daly prepared to step up for goalkicking duties with Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
SEA Eagles playmaker Daly Cherry-Evans says he is ready to start practising and take on the pressure role of goalkicker in Saturday’s crucial game with the Raiders in Albury.

With skipper Jamie Lyon certain to miss the game as he recovers from a groin injury and doubts over the fitness of centre Steve Matai, goalkicking is again an issue for the Sea Eagles.

“I haven’t practised obviously which is a shame,” Cherry-Evans said.

“In the past two weeks we have been in the position where we have needed second and third string goalkickers.

“Whoever is kicking goals this week I’ve got no doubt they will put in a lot of practice.

“We’ll wait and see who that is.”

Asked if would be honing his skills this week Cherry-Evans replied: “I daresay I’ll have to start practising with Jamie out and people set to return or miss gams we obviously have to find a goalkicker.

“And if that is me I’ll start to practice that for sure.”

Cherry-Evans said it was job that he didn’t mind at all.

“It’s obviously not ideal when you haven’t practised and you get it sprung on you,” he said.

“With that being said if it’s something I’m going to continue to do I’ll make sure I practice for it.”

The Sea Eagles head into the game battling a heavy injury toll but the star halfback said the team said the current situation was nothing new.

“It’s not a standout, I think we have had tough times like this before,” he said.

“Possibly we’ve just been at better spot on the ladder which has resulted in less media attention.

“More often than not this club will usually fight through the tough times and hopefully this weekend is no different.”

SEA Eagles playmaker Daly Cherry-Evans says he is ready to start practising and take on the pressure role of goalkicker in Saturday’s crucial game with the Raiders in Albury.

With skipper Jamie Lyon certain to miss the game as he recovers from a groin injury and doubts over the fitness of centre Steve Matai, goalkicking is again an issue for the Sea Eagles.

“I haven’t practised obviously which is a shame,” Cherry-Evans said.

“In the past two weeks we have been in the position where we have needed second and third string goalkickers.

“Whoever is kicking goals this week I’ve got no doubt they will put in a lot of practice.

“We’ll wait and see who that is.”

Asked if would be honing his skills this week Cherry-Evans replied: “I daresay I’ll have to start practising with Jamie out and people set to return or miss gams we obviously have to find a goalkicker.

“And if that is me I’ll start to practice that for sure.”

Cherry-Evans said it was job that he didn’t mind at all.

“It’s obviously not ideal when you haven’t practised and you get it sprung on you,” he said.

“With that being said if it’s something I’m going to continue to do I’ll make sure I practice for it.”

The Sea Eagles head into the game battling a heavy injury toll but the star halfback said the team said the current situation was nothing new.

“It’s not a standout, I think we have had tough times like this before,” he said.

“Possibly we’ve just been at better spot on the ladder which has resulted in less media attention.

“More often than not this club will usually fight through the tough times and hopefully this weekend is no different.”
Tooves is losing me badly. Surely any coach would get his starting kicker to practice and also make a back up kicker takes shots. Dedicate half an hour each week it doesn't take much. We are **** house at kicking. This is telling. Jamie since he came to the club has had percentages of:
2007: 77.42% (62 attempts)
2008: 83.3% (6 attempts)
2009: 75% (28 attempts)
2010: 81.88% (85 attempts)
2011: 74.75% (80 attempts)
2012: 71.57% (102 attempts)
2013: 69.53% (128 attempts)
2014: 71.72% (99 attempts)

He has declined significantly in the last few years and there seems to be no contingency planning. Its like under 6s just whoever feels like it on the day takes the kick. Close games a good kicker is invaluable but we just don't seem to care.

Why hasn't he or anyone else been practicing, we've relied on Lyon for too long now even before Toovey was the coach.
It's not up to the player to just decide to practice goal kicking. Their routines are carefully managed by coaches. Its up to their boss to tell them to practice and to have a plan in place for the kicker to be ruled out or injured!

It's not up to the player to just decide to practice goal kicking. Their routines are carefully managed by coaches. Its up to their boss to tell them to practice and to have a plan in place for the kicker to be ruled out or injured!
Yeah right. Tooves can't dodge the blame on this one. Especially with Joey on staff. And if DCE is getting coached by Joey - I mean do I have to spell this out for ****s sake...

This perplexes me.

If I were coach and had a 1/2 coach like Johns who used to be a kicker. I think I'd have both halves, fullback, wings and centres practicing all year round if my top liner was injured.

I don't think I'd have a "we'd better get some practice in" now during the season.

Tooves is losing me badly. Surely any coach would get his starting kicker to practice and also make a back up kicker takes shots. Dedicate half an hour each week it doesn't take much. We are **** house at kicking. This is telling. Jamie since he came to the club has had percentages of:
2007: 77.42% (62 attempts)
2008: 83.3% (6 attempts)
2009: 75% (28 attempts)
2010: 81.88% (85 attempts)
2011: 74.75% (80 attempts)
2012: 71.57% (102 attempts)
2013: 69.53% (128 attempts)
2014: 71.72% (99 attempts)

He has declined significantly in the last few years and there seems to be no contingency planning. Its like under 6s just whoever feels like it on the day takes the kick. Close games a good kicker is invaluable but we just don't seem to care.
And if anyone wants a comparison to a top line kicker.
Adam Reynolds:
2012: 85.09% (114 attempts)
2013: 90.09% (111 attempts)
2014: 79.17% (120 attempts)

those stats win games

Yeah right. Tooves can't dodge the blame on this one. Especially with Joey on staff. And if DCE is getting coached by Joey - I mean do I have to spell this out for ****s sake...
I'm putting the blame squarely on him. I was just pointing out to swoop its not the players responsibility its the coaches

This perplexes me.

If I were coach and had a 1/2 coach like Johns who used to be a kicker. I think I'd have both halves, fullback, wings and centres practicing all year round if my top liner was injured.

I don't think I'd have a "we'd better get some practice in" now during the season.
As of that article which ran on the 31st HE HADN'T EVEN PICKED SOMEONE!

I liked kicking the footy.

Dunno why people wouldn't want to muck around and practice it even for fun.

Plus as someone else posted.....Joey can kick....listen to him!

I'll kick for goal. Apparently @byso is a good kicker - I've seen him at my place, footy boots and all. Dan was mediocre at best. I'd probably go at around 15% success rate directly in front ?

Does that cut the mustard?

I'll kick for goal. Apparently @byso is a good kicker - I've seen him at my place, footy boots and all. Dan was mediocre at best. I'd probably go at around 15% success rate directly in front ?

Does that cut the mustard?
hahahaha I have a good video of me curling one from on the goal line in the corner through the posts maybe I should audition.

hahaha I'll try to find it. It was a couple of years ago. If not i'll go down to reub Hudson and re-create it haha

Pictures, or it didn't happen. Seriously, I demand that video be put up :)
When I used to play me and the other dude who kicked used to do that from either side. Work on getting the fade spot on. I could bend it back from a foot or so in goal. But like we practiced a bit which is obviously not required at top level...

When I used to play me and the other dude who kicked used to do that from either side. Work on getting the fade spot on. I could bend it back from a foot or so in goal. But like we practiced a bit which is obviously not required at top level...
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

we used to do it for bragging rights between me and a mate

I know it's not up to the player or players but this has been a problem for years, well before Toovey was our coach. I was trying to point out that we haven't had a back up goal kicker for years and had to rely on Lyon for far too long.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6