Daly Cherry-Evans is poised to make his Origin debut but his mum is not so sure she is happy about i

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
HIS club coach thinks he would be hung out to dry at State of Origin level while the Queensland coach says he is primed to thrive in the sink-or-swim environment as a Maroons interchange player.

But perhaps the most important voice in Daly Cherry-Evans' life, his mother, would prefer his first Maroons jersey is years away as she is scared he could get hurt in the intensity of a brutal Origin game.

Boom Manly playmaker Cherry-Evans is in the frame for a Maroons utility spot and can clinch a maiden jumper with a rousing performance tonight against the Broncos and fellow bench contender Matt Gillett.

But Cherry-Evans' mother Kellie said while it would be a proud achievement to see her son play Origin, she is also frightened for his safety.

"A part of me actually hopes he doesn't get picked because I'm scared for him," she said.

"The hits are a lot bigger in Origin. It's such a hard game and a lot tougher than club football."

Daly's father Troy, two of his siblings and Kellie have flown down from Mackay to watch the young half face the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium tonight.

"I'm always nervous before games. It's hard to watch sometimes," Kellie said.

"I think every mother is afraid of their boy being hurt."

Kellie is not the only influential person in Cherry-Evans' life questioning if he should play Origin.

Manly coach Geoff Toovey has urged Queensland's hierarchy to handle Cherry-Evans' possible Origin selection with care in the wake of the halfback's trans-Tasman selection saga.

Toovey isn't convinced Cherry-Evans is the man to be Queensland's Mr Fixit after he was picked for Australia three weeks ago, only to languish on the bench for the entire 80 minutes.

Cherry-Evans was bitterly disappointed at his snubbing and Toovey hopes his star halfback isn't subjected to a similar situation if picked by the Maroons on Monday night.

"I think he would be ready for Origin but I really don't get it myself," said Toovey, the former Manly halfback and hooker who played a utility role for NSW and Australia.

"I don't see why you would put a halfback on the bench.

"If he is selected, I'm sure Daly would handle Origin football, but they picked him for Australia, put him on the bench and then didn't use him.

"If he gets an opportunity to play for the Maroons I'm sure he wouldn't let anyone down."

Cherry-Evans said peculation about his Origin chances had not bothered him at all.

He said he was not surprised to learn his mother worried for his safety.

"She's like all mothers, she just wants her kid to be safe," Cherry-Evans said.

The Mackay-raised 23-year-old said during the past six months he had become used to people discussing his representative chances.

"There was a lot of talk before before last year's Four Nations and this is just the same so I'm kind of used to it," Cherry-Evans said.

"I just focus on club footy and my attitude is if something more happens that's great, but it's the club footy that decides rep selection anyway."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/daly-cherry-evans-is-poised-to-make-his-state-of-origin-debut-but-his-mum-is-not-so-sure-she-is-happy-about-it/story-e6frep5x-1226352230920

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6