Cuthbo to be a Knight?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've met Des but never met Bellamy. Bellamy comes across as a shrewd innovative win-at-all-costs operator who is driven by results more than principle. Des on the other hand is shrewd, innovative, ultra-competitive - but highly principled. In my view Des leaves him for dead in the coach stakes.

I would say that Des is a better coach than Bellamy. As others in the thread have pointed out Des has won a premiership, Bellamy has not. Melbourne's success comes down to the quality of the playing group rather than the quality of the coach IMO (especially when they strike gold on two once in a generation players in Slater & Smith).

Des is a better team builder than Bennett IMO but Bennett is a better coach. If Des is willing to stick with Manly for another decade then he may well go down as one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game.

I would like to see Des get a chance to test his hand at rep footy, be it with Australia or NSW, he'd certainly do a better job of it than Sticky or Tom Shines.

Give Bellamy his due.

Granted that with around $8m p.a. extra funds gifted out of earnings of all the other clubs (via News Ltd), he's won nothing as a coach at NRL level, apart from the 2010 wooden spoon. That part doesn't look too good.

But he's won 2 SOO games out of 9, a win percentage of 22%.

And he's done even better than that in city/country with 1 out of 3, 33%.

And who could accuse Bennett of having a leg-up? Who'd want to coach all those years a one-city team in the second-largest Rugby League city in the world? With all that distracting money being thrown at you to spend as you wish. And then again all that distracting money at Illawarra, and now at Newcastle.

The Eagle said:
Rusty said:
Phantar said:
Ryan said:
Bennett is a fine coach. So too Bellamy. I think Des is getting close.
Wow Ryan, you don't think Des is already better than Bellamy?

I think Hasler surpassed Bellamy years ago.

Bellamy has the following achievements next to his name :

SOO - 3 series lost.
2011 - Wooden Spoon

That is all.

Des has won something, Bellamy has not.

2011 wooden spoon is a bit of a stretch

Doh!

I will assume everyone knows what I meant here. Sorry.

Bellyache is a good coach, he improves players from park footy payers to rep players, however his origin selections and results were poor.

Our Dessy is better though!!

Back to the topic, looks like cuthbo threads be posted for the next 5 years when he is playing for Cowboys, Broncos and then Avalon?

Gees so many postings for a journeyman secondrower, hate to see Choc & G Stewart leave the club.

I'm over Cuthbo since he sooked off - he was getting opportunity from Des & done some good things but his creative miracle pass at all costs made it seem there was a 1 tackle rule leading to MANY errors. Always showed potential hence the reason Des had him in the 17. Some ppl prefer to feel hard done by then shoulder the blame & improve - which he finally has. Personally i'm happier with who we have now anyway.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4