Cuthbo – $200,000 to warm park footy bench

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
#  By Dean Ritchie
# From: The Daily Telegraph

HE'S the $200,000 recruit who will turn out in reserve grade for Cronulla this weekend - from the bench.

Former Manly back-rower Adam Cuthbertson has languished in the Sharks' NSW Cup team for three weeks but things went from bad to worse after being named on the bench for Saturday's clash with Canterbury.

Unable to earn a spot in the NRL's worst team, Cuthbertson will this weekend sit alongside bench players Herman Retzlaff, Lancen Joudo and Inoke Tapa'atoutai in NSW Cup coach Tony Herman's side.

With Cronulla's NRL side enjoying a bye, Herman has been able to stack his side with the likes of Nathan Stapleton, Blake Ferguson, Scott Porter, Isaac Gordon and Stuart Flanagan.

The move to dump so many established players shows first grade coach Ricky Stuart won't tolerate a repeat of last weekend's 38-0 loss to St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

But it's Cuthbertson's plight that has generated the most intrigue. He was part of Manly's 2007 grand final side that tackled the Storm in front of 80,000 fans at ANZ Stadium.

This weekend he'll turn out in front of a handful of people at The Crest Stadium in Bass Hill.

It's a remarkable fall from grace from a gifted player who hasn't been sighted in first grade since round five, and couldn't beat Trent Grubb, Alan Munro or Matthew Wright for a spot in the back-row for this weekend's NSW Cup game.

"Adam would be the first to admit he has been very disappointed with his form," Cronulla chief executive Richard Fisk said. "He has been suffering from a groin injury but has chosen to play on with it.

"But I have no doubt Adam will be back making a contribution to the club before the end of this season."

Cuthbertson has struggled this year with limited game time.

Some believe his flamboyant ball-playing style is at odds with the structured game plan employed by NRL clubs these days.

Cuthbertson's statistics this season are poor. He has played in four NRL games and averaged only nine runs. He has not made a tackle bust and only completed two offloads per game in an average of 33 minutes on the field.

Manly cut the Avalon Bulldogs junior at the end of last season due to salary cap constraints and the Sharks swiftly signed him up, hoping he would provide some much-needed flair.

Cuthbertson, who missed out on playing in Manly's 40-0 grand final win over Melbourne in 2008, arrived at Toyota Stadium saying he hated his time in NSW Cup with the Sea Eagles.

Earlier this year, Cuthbertson said: "After coming back from injury last year, I played a lot of reserve grade so I didn't fulfil my time there.

"But that had a lot to do with the player I have become."

sad really. a lot of talent there; he was our ali lautiti in some ways. maybe he should go to england too. but he won't get much of a gig from the reserves bench of reserve grade.

Well if you can't make the Sharks team that's saying something. Maybe he shouldn't blamed manly but pulled his finger out and looked at his own form.

He would be a sensation in the UK as many past NRL reserve graders have shown.

You need players to back you up to get away the kinds of balls Cuthbo can deliver.

Sadly theres no such thing as backing up or even teamwork at Cronulla these days.

Its not really the best place to try and show how good a player you are.

Ol' blighty is calling...........his style of play would be well suited. The pies & mush would go down a treat to. Playing weight would be about 125kgs.
Monas and Ox have probably already been on the phone to get him over there.

Bradza link said:
Ol' blighty is calling...........his style of play would be well suited. The pies & mush would go down a treat to. Playing weight would be about 125kgs.
Monas and Ox have probably already been on the phone to get him over there.

Yep,

Wouldn't be too many clubs looking for a NSW Cup bench warmer, but he could always use the Ricky Stuart is a dick excuse, not like its hard to believe.

He should have signed for Warriors, Parra or Storm temas that like throwing the ball arround. He'd be on minimum wage but would be having fun.

Taking $200,000 from the sharks and investing that money in the northern beaches property, fast food outlets or pubs is fine with me though :)

"He should have signed for Warriors, Parra or Storm temas that like throwing the ball arround."

I agree with Parra and Warriors but up until two weeks ago the Storm had one of the lowest offloads per game stats in the comp. That has been the same for 3 years. Cuthbo would have lasted 3 seconds in the no frills Bellamy gameplan. Now that they have nothing to lose they are throwing it around more.

What exactly did pRicky think he was getting when he signed him up - it's not like his strengths and weaknesses weren't there to see!? I'm sure Des's harsh but fair delivery of the facts of life is lnow ooking more palatable to Cuthbo than Stuart's.

Probably the best thing for him at the Sharks - will be surrounded by better players and coach than at the Sharks 1's.....

Im sure they did that to the halfback now at the Warriors but by years end he was their best player..

Bradza link said:
\"He should have signed for Warriors, Parra or Storm temas that like throwing the ball arround.\"

I agree with Parra and Warriors but up until two weeks ago the Storm had one of the lowest offloads per game stats in the comp. That has been the same for 3 years. Cuthbo would have lasted 3 seconds in the no frills Bellamy gameplan. Now that they have nothing to lose they are throwing it around more.

What exactly did pRicky think he was getting when he signed him up - it's not like his strengths and weaknesses weren't there to see!? I'm sure Des's harsh but fair delivery of the facts of life is lnow ooking more palatable to Cuthbo than Stuart's.

I don't get why Stuart doesn't let him offload either. It's the biggest thing going for Cuthbo and Stuart seems to think he's a battering ram. And it's not like the Sharks don't need to take a few chances, they're rubbish.

You don;t get a contract to the Old Dart from Cronulla.  You just get to go to some dung hole like Dubbo.  Look at Steppa for example (sorry Fonz).

Steppa Stephenson is now playing prop for Ipswich in the Qld Cup!!!

Limitatons in his skill base but no one could ever acuse him of not having a go!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8