Crusher's YE tirade - issues for next year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Last night highlighted the massive gulf between us and the top teams. The Dragons were 2 gears above us, and didn't even get out of 4th. There pack steamrolled us, they were in our faces all night, their kicking gave us all sorts of problems, their big, quick outside backs were dominant over ours, and their intensity and enthusiasm was much too much for us. Problems:

1. Front Row. Besides Kite, who I thought really stood up for us in the latter half of the season, we do not have another frontrower who can be counted on. King is too soft and injury prone, Bryant has limited ability, and Rose is too immobile. Rose needs to lose 10 kgs over the Summer and Bryant needs to work on some ball skills. Big problems.
2. Back Row. Why have I not see Watmough run outside of Orford and Burns all year? Why would you make him just hit it up one-out? I am absolutely baffled. Is this a coaching thing, or a Choc thing? He is a shadow of last year. He should be used more smartly. We desperately need a replacement for BK.
3. Five-Eighth. Barrett sh*at all over Burns. I know it makes a difference when your pack is actially making ground, but Burns doesn't have the offensive capability of a 1st Grade 5/8 - his kicking is non-existent, and he is not creative. I kow he is only young, but we need ansers NOW. Based on last ngiht, you'd have to have Lyon there.
4. Outside Backs. Last night our lack of size really showed up, as we were completely outmuscled by Morris and Naiqama. Stewart needs to bulk up.

At the end of the day, my worries start and end with out pack. Our front row is obvioulsy not talented enough, and our backrow is short on depth. We desperately need some young blood here, and playing guys like Cuthbertson is a must. Food for thought...............

Why have I not see Watmough run outside of Orford and Burns all year?

They tried it a fair bit at the start of the year, but Choc kept dropping the f*cking ball!

Yep. if we could magically fix the front row dept then points 2-4 inclusive would melt. Buggered if I know just what they are going to do about that.

Choc did actually run off Ox (i think) shoulder last night. Once. And it worked a treat gaining 15 metres.. never saw it again after that though.

Couldn't agree more Crusher, as Chesterton (and I hate him) said in this morning's Telegraph, Manly were bereft of ideas. I just can't understand why we didn't employ the long kicking game. It was employed earlier in the season with good results and would have countered their standing off side and creaming Menzies. Our kick chase game was once well executed. Last night the short kicks were just ineffective and there was no adjustment in our game plan, if there was one. Next year. A new coach? doubtful, but I think necessary.

Don't think we should always bag Des he has made a big difference since he has been coach, and he is Manly through and through. Look at what BK had to say about the structures and staff within the Manly club. While disappointed at last night, I am sure the experience will stand us in good stead come next year....

We have made some steps this year but there are some pertinent comments in this thread.

Watmough was a shadow of last year - he is falling off tackles and running inside rather than outside lines. We need to get him fit.

I thought Kite was huge and we can build a pack around him. Beaver and another second rower need to run wide and we are calling out for some forwards with ball skills. Rose will be better for the season but must come in fitter and with a lower body fat index.

I can see Burns playing hooker, Lyon playing five eighth and Monaghan going to Super League (just a tip). I also think that Willo and Dunlely should be replaced. We also need two very sound second rowers to replace BK - one may be Cuthbertson. Ballin is another player I would like to see in the mix at hooker.

We have come fromeighth to equal third but must work to build again - it is not going to be easy.

I can see Burns playing hooker, Lyon playing five eighth and Monaghan going to Super League (just a tip). I also think that Willo and Dunlely should be replaced. We also need two very sound second rowers to replace BK - one may be Cuthbertson. Ballin is another player I would like to see in the mix at hooker.

I agree with everything here, except I'd start Ballin at hooker and Burns to come on as a replacement. He'd add some agro and a bit of spark around the ruck.

After the year Mona's has had i can't see any reason to drop him!

If you want to put Lyon into 5/8 then put burns on the bench and piss off willo or dunley.

I'd personally have Lyon in the centres but if that's what you guys would like to do surely mona's can't be the one punted to accommodate

I don't think they are saying Monaghan should be punted, but he's the one most likely to leave, the rumours are never too far away with him.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4