Crowd: 11619, What a joke!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I was there from before Toyota Cup and only saw about 8 Tits supporters all night so that doesn't help.

And not only was the crowd small - it was really flat and quiet right from the beginning of the game. Maybe the 5 day turnaround is too quick for the fans too?

The Who said:
PS: I'm sick of hearing posters describe Brookvale Oval as a ' disgrace'. It is a great ground to watch football. I don't care that the toilets are not air-conditioned, carpeted with a personal assistant to offer me towels and lotions.
Let's get behind the team. It's a long season, and upsets will continue to happen.

Bravo! My Mum (almost 60) and I have season tickets to Brookie, but also go to most if not all of the Sydney matches every year (traveling from down Shellharbour way).
Brookie is by far the best ground to watch football - a combination of the great view you get from the GA seats, being able to take your own 'picnic' (that would be confiscated at a lot of other grounds - and is important for us as we have a couple of coeliacs in the family who can eat pretty much nothing from the kiosks), being able to 'spread out' due to not having stupid reserved seats in the GA areas, when we bring kids and grand kids there's plenty of space for them to run around etc.

Don't care one iota that the toilets are old, they are functional and that's all that matters. The food - meh, bring your own if a pie or hot dog won't cut it, or there's always the time-honoured Maccas run before the game. At least you get Coke in bottles not the ridiculous post-mix sippy cups you get at Parramatta!

Mind you, food-wise I do like the SFS (Oporto :)) and, funnily enough, Penrith (good old sausage sizzles plus kebab vans etc) but no other ground I've been to comes close to Brookie for value for money in the GA seating/standing areas.

I doubt that the crowd figures are accurate as whenever a ticket doesn't work at the turnstyle (which seems to be often) they are just let through the gate. Not sure how these people are counted in the numbers as no-one has put a bar code through the turnstyle.

I watched all 3 grades yesterday with the family and was a great day. As mentioned above, I could not give a rats ass about the toilets. Brookie is the best ground to watch league. Any one with kids under 9 should join them up for $5 and then they won't have to pay the kids price of $20 a ticket.

wombatgc said:
The Who said:
The players turned up
I'd have to argue that point Who!:cool:
I was sure I saw some maroon jumpers behind the tryline on TV coverage this morning.
Frankly, after imbibing last night I feel like I must have coped a late hit from Idris. I'll be better for the week's break.

My pass didn't scan I was let through by gate staff who had a ticket. I think failed scans are counted that way.

tookey said:
I doubt that the crowd figures are accurate as whenever a ticket doesn't work at the turnstyle (which seems to be often) they are just let through the gate. Not sure how these people are counted in the numbers as no-one has put a bar code through the turnstyle.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
The crowd was no surprise. Playing a out of town team who have been going like busteds all season. We are missing 4 of our stars players and have also been playing poorly. With all of this and the fact the game is live on TV it is no great shock.

mmmdl said:
People go away during this time. Plus, it's expensive to go to 2 games in 5 days. Not everyone has a season ticket but, more importantly, not everyone has a never ending flow of available cash.

Well said. And not only is it school holidays, there's also the Royal Easter Show which is not cheap either. I imagine some families would've had to make a choice and the Show won, being only a once a year expense.

I sat in the FM stand where there were heaps of empty seats. Quite often its packed, including many opposition supporters, even from interstate clubs. Last night there wasn't one Titans fan - actually I can't recall seeing a Titans fan anywhere there.

I can't believe there were only 11,000 there last night (the hill was chokas) but this seems to happen at nearly every game. The crowd figure always comes out less than it seems. As I've said before, imo there must be something wrong with the 'counters'.

ads said:
I was there from before Toyota Cup and only saw about 8 Tits supporters all night so that doesn't help.

And not only was the crowd small - it was really flat and quiet right from the beginning of the game. Maybe the 5 day turnaround is too quick for the fans too?

Wow with at least 34 male players under 20 and a crowd and only 8 tits supporters,Never would have happened in my day, not that there is anything wrong with that

Manly's average attendance 11400 odd

Like it or not this is the average attendance

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/summary.html#venues

lsz said:
Manly's average attendance 11400 odd

Like it or not this is the average attendance

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/summary.html#venues

Indeed. And thats a stat that Scott Penn is painfully aware of.

There simply is too many night time matches. The quality of football in daylight is much higher, and so are the crowds.

TV may be paying the bills but they are hindering the growth of the game in other ways.

If I wasn't a member and my kids didn't get in for free, I would have to pay $110 to get in to the game. This is why the wife and myself are members. Plus it helps support the club

Price is not the only barrier to entry for people attending. Yes there might be some more people but would the overall business model support it?

Far too simplistic to state "lower the prices" and more people will turn up.

Exactly Isz. Some people prefer watching the game at home on TV or at the pub, many have family commitments etc. The reason I choose not to attend every game has nothing to do with price. The price could be 25% more or less and it would not impact the number of games that I attend.

dowdz said:
If I wasn't a member and my kids didn't get in for free, I would have to pay $110 to get in to the game. This is why the wife and myself are members. Plus it helps support the club
Especially when there are two games in 5 days, the die hards will turn up but that floating 5000 fans wont fork out the cash twice in less than a week. What ever happened to home and away?? These days it is home home away away.........

The Who said:
There simply is too many night time matches. The quality of football in daylight is much higher, and so are the crowds.

TV may be paying the bills but they are hindering the growth of the game in other ways.

Spot on again The Who - we have four Next Gen members in the family, but all too little to take to night games. Not to mention a couple of teenagers who almost always have a 'better offer' if it's a night game (Fri or Sat) but will tag along to daytime games 9 times out of 10.

If we were locals it might not be such an issue, but when it's a 2 1/2 hour drive home (and it's already the little kids' bedtime by kickoff anyway) it's just not workable - so instead of potentially eight or ten of our family attending last night, only two of us could make it. Last night it was after midnight when we got home, and that's pretty usual for night matches for us. Pretty sure we're not alone there, as we always seem to get chatting to people who've driven from Wollongong, Newcastle, Canberra etc in the queue at the gate.

Noticed last night the family hill was nowhere near as full as it was Monday night, so that may be an indicator that a whole bunch of families couldn't afford/cope with 2 night games in one week.

yokahontas said:
The Who said:

Spot on again The Who - we have four Next Gen members in the family, but all too little to take to night games. Not to mention a couple of teenagers who almost always have a 'better offer' if it's a night game (Fri or Sat) but will tag along to daytime games 9 times out of 10.

If we were locals it might not be such an issue, but when it's a 2 1/2 hour drive home (and it's already the little kids' bedtime by kickoff anyway) it's just not workable - so instead of potentially eight or ten of our family attending last night, only two of us could make it. Last night it was after midnight when we got home, and that's pretty usual for night matches for us. Pretty sure we're not alone there, as we always seem to get chatting to people who've driven from Wollongong, Newcastle, Canberra etc in the queue at the gate.

Noticed last night the family hill was nowhere near as full as it was Monday night, so that may be an indicator that a whole bunch of families couldn't afford/cope with 2 night games in one week.
It's very commendable that you come from so far away. I'm semi-local, but even for me to get to a Friday night match means leaving work promptly, missing dinner, and it's often cold on the hill. I do make the effort, but I can understand why many people just go to a pub after work and watch it with the match with their mates. Because everything is geared to television, fans at the ground are neglected. I can only see this situation worsening.
However, when a match is played on a sunny Sunday afternoon it is far more enjoyable, and the travel arrangement easier. If the NRL continues to allow TV to dictate then it will be at the detriment of the game.

My old man and I live 5 hours away and have a 3 game pass each. When you factor in travel, accommodation and other commitments, this is all we can realistically attend. We used the first of our 3 games on Sat night (Saturdays are better for us as we don't have to take time off work). The stands were a little empty but I actually thought the crowd figure was OK. As I say, I'm certainly not a regular there, but considering it was an out of state team with a small supporter base as it is, I thought the crowd would struggle to hit 10,000. There would have been 500 Titans fans there at the absolute max. There was the odd one here and there and small pocket in the southeastern corner. As stated above, factor in short turn-around, school holidays, easter show etc, I thought 11,000+ was a good result.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6