Cronulla V Manly- Teams, chat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fro link said:
[quote author=PONTIAN SEA EAGLE link=topic=177806.msg189135#msg189135 date=1215409659]
look i can understand what mnf is saying

Please don't say that :)
[/quote]
Yeah, don't encourage him.

We'll win this one but not by many.  It's a true crunt of a ground to be at whether you're a player or spectator.  It's usually bitterly cold and inhospitable.  Their supporters are barbarians so the trek down there is a true test of loyalty.  I'll be there with support, but not comfortable.  Usually there are a bunch of us supporters down the grassy knoll end. 

DSM5 - agree with your sentiments on the ground and the "hobbitts" that support the Sharks.

I'll be heading over on the supporters bus (3 of us plus my son) and meeting the Groggo's for a beer and a feed in the bistro when we get there (bus leaves at 4.30 so guessing will be there around 5.30'ish)

Plan for those who want to stand with other Manly fans is to head for the area in between the et & southern stands -right next to where we used to sit before the new stand was built

entry via toyota kluger turnstyle

there is a bar / toilets and food close as well

Apparently it is a "mini hill" where the old score board used to be.

Maybe see you there
Cheers
Vid

Have fun lads I will be watching from the comfort of the Lyons Den/Sportsmans bar at the leagues club

Let's be honest - after 7 hours of drinking before the game, if Menzies scores you may try to mount me. 

Therefore your earlier statement may be correct. 

I will be watching either from the comfort of my lounge room or down the local, might actually just courtesy bus it to the RSL for this one

SHARKS - 1 Brett Kearney, 2 Misi Taulapapa, 3 Ben Pomeroy, 4 David Simmons, 5 Luke Covell, 6 Brett Seymour, 7 Brett Kimmorley, 8 Ben Ross, 9 Isaac De Gois, 10 Luke Douglas, 11 Grant Millington, 12 Fraser Anderson, 13 Paul Gallen
Interchange: 14 Danny Nutley, 15 Kade Snowden, 16 Adam Peek, 17 Blake Green

SEA EAGLES NRL TEAM: Brett Stewart, Michael Robertson, Steve Bell, Steve Matai, David Williams, Jamie Lyon, Matt Orford ©, Brent Kite, Matt Ballin, Josh Perry, Anthony Watmough, Glenn Stewart, Steve Menzies
Interchange: Heath L'Estrange, Mark Bryant, Adam Cuthbertson, Glenn Hall

Oh ****, Robinson. He is so bloody ordinary, never know which way he is going to go

**** i hope we win this one, i need it

My best mate is back in town, and he is a Sharks supporter. We will probably watch the game together and it probably won't end in a good way

Canteen Worker link said:
Who cares what others think. A lot of non-Manly supporters I know believe we are building very nicely and are a real threat.
Ill second that CW spoken like a true Manly supporter.

Matai makes a remarkable recovery

July 09, 2008

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23993721-23214,00.html 

MANLY centre Steve Matai is confident he will be fit to play in his team's top-of-the-table NRL clash with Cronulla despite suffering a serious chest injury in the win over Gold Coast.
                    Matai was vomiting blood after a heavy collision early in the Sea Eagles 34-14 NRL win over the Titans last Friday night and sent to hospital where he was diagnosed with a bruised lung.

But both the Kiwi Test centre and his coach Des Hasler were confident he would be fit to face the Sharks at Toyota Park.

“I'll see the doctor and hopefully the scans come up well and I'll be right to play,” Matai said.

“I feel alright, today was the first time I did some running since the game and I feel pretty good.”

AAP

Sharks v Sea Eagles Preview
NRL.com
Toyota Stadium
Saturday 7.30pm

NOW this is a blockbuster in the making!

Two fierce seaside rivals gear up for a top-of-the-table clash.

If Sharks’ fans can’t get off their butts and get out to this one then the club might as well pack up and shift off to Timbuktu as it shapes as an absolute bellringer.

The two sides have always had an extreme dislike for each other, going back to the famous brawling grand finals of the 1973 and 1978, and now they sit equal first on the ladder (Manly first, Sharks third on percentages) with just nine rounds left until the finals.

The winner of the clash is likely to push forward towards a top-four finish and possible minor premiership, while the loser will have a small battle on their hands to stay in the home semi-final atmosphere.

The Sharks are still without Greg Bird but are rested from the bye and welcome Paul Gallen and Brett Kearney back to the fold.

Kearney slots straight in at fullback in place of Mitch Brown while Gallen slides in easily at lock as Paul Stephenson is injured (calf).

Grant Millington also comes into the side in the back row which sees Luke Douglas move up to prop; Danny Nutley finds himself on the bench.

Bryan Norrie and Jayson Bukuya make way from the side that defeated Canberra at last start.

Manly have the luxury of naming the same 17-man squad that pulled away from the Gold Coast last weekend, although Steve Matai is still in doubt following bruising to his lungs.

Watch out Sharks: The Manly attacking juggernaut has run their eye over the try scoring data and noticed the discrepancy on the right side.

The Sharks have conceded 11 tries on the left, 10 tries up the middle but 23 tries on the right, giving the Sea Eagles’ right-side attack the perfect excuse to get plenty of ball.

Steve Bell and David Williams are licking their lips, and both scored great tries against the Gold Coast last start. Look for Steve Menzies to pop up at times also, while tryscoring freak Brett Stewart will find his way into the backline also.

Watch out Sea Eagles: Referee Jason Robinson won’t take any rubbish and considering the Sea Eagles have conceded more penalties than any other side in the NRL they could be in for a tough day away from home at Toyota Stadium.

The Sharks have been much more disciplined so far and are ranked fifth in conceding free kicks.

If the Manly boys rack up the indiscretions, the Sharks will be ready to capitalise.

The Sharks also have a more impressive kick accuracy compared to their opponents.

With 65.6 per cent of kicks finding space they are ranked second in the NRL compared to the 11th-ranked Sea Eagles at just 52.5 per cent.

This kind of edge could help them to a dominant display in terms of field position.

Where it will be won:
Taking chances.

Both sides are fairly strong defensively but when it comes to attack, the Manly boys are light years ahead of the Sharks.

Manly have scored 70 tries so far this season, or 4.67 tries a game, to be the NRL’s most prolific team up to this point.

The Sharks on the other hand have crossed for just 49 tries this season and this has them at 3.27 a game, ranked equal last in the NRL.

If they are to compete with the northern beaches boys they’ll need to ensure that every break they make turns into points.

They currently are the worst side in the NRL at breaking the line with just 45 line breaks… yes that’s right, they have less breaks than tries!

They make up the discrepancy with tries from kicks.

If they don’t a) break the line and B) score points when they do, Manly will win this easily.

The History: Played 73; Sharks 22, Sea Eagles 49, drawn 2.

In 28 matches at Toyota Stadium the teams share the spoils 14 apiece.

Earlier this season the Sharks won 16-10 at Brookvale to continue a win/loss trend over the past seven matches (which for those of you who react to patterns means a Manly win is due).

Conclusion:
Manly are running hot with ball in hand at the moment and while the Sharks’ defence is relatively strong their attack still can’t compete.

If there isn’t too much dew about look for the Sea Eagles to make a point with their offence but if the track is overly wet, the Sharks come back into the contest.

Manly is the safe choice but don’t underestimate the resolve of this Sharks’ outfit, they’ll give a good account of themselves in front of what should be a sell-out crowd.

Get out there!

Match officials: Referee – Jason Robinson; Sideline Officials – Phil Haines & Russell Turner; Video ref – Phil Cooley.

Televised: Fox Sports 2 – Live 7.30pm.

HEAD TO HEAD RECORDS (1967 - )

Overall Head-to-head Records

Played 73; Manly 49, Cronulla 22, Drawn 2

Head-to-head at Toyota Stadium
Played 28; Cronulla 14, Manly 14

Record Crowd these Clubs
(Excludes Finals and Double Headers)
20168 at Toyota Stadium, 9/4/1994 (Rd 5), Cronulla Won 26 - 14

Last 10 Games Head-to-head: Played 10; Cronulla 6, Manly 4

With our for and against being so good this game takes on huge proportions. A win means that the chasers have to win two more games than us after this weekend to stop the minor premiership.

vidmar link said:
DSM5 - agree with your sentiments on the ground and the \"hobbitts\" that support the Sharks.

I'll be heading over on the supporters bus (3 of us plus my son) and meeting the Groggo's for a beer and a feed in the bistro when we get there (bus leaves at 4.30 so guessing will be there around 5.30'ish)

Plan for those who want to stand with other Manly fans is to head for the area in between the et & southern stands -right next to where we used to sit before the new stand was built

entry via toyota kluger turnstyle

there is a bar / toilets and food close as well

Apparently it is a \"mini hill\" where the old score board used to be.

Maybe see you there
Cheers
Vid

We are planning on getting there just after 5 at the club. I'll keep an eye out

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8