Crocker's apology to Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Michael Crocker will apologise to Brett Stewart for the earth-shaking hit that earned him a shock Kangaroos recall and brought a premature end to Sunday night's grand final for the Manly fullback when the pair go into camp together to prepare for the coming Test against New Zealand.

While there were seven debutants in the Australian team named yesterday for the October 14 Test in Wellington, Crocker's selection was the biggest surprise after a three-year absence since the last of his four appearances for the Kangaroos.

He was one of five Storm stars, including new Australian captain Cameron Smith, chosen from the team that thrashed the Sea Eagles 34-8 at Telstra Stadium.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart admitted Crocker and halfback Cooper Cronk were among a number of players to have played their way into the Test side in the grand final.

Aside from Cronk, the new faces in the Australian side include Melbourne second-rower Ryan Hoffman, Cronulla pair Greg Bird and Paul Gallen, Parramatta's Jarryd Hayne and Newcastle utility Kurt Gidley.

Stewart was also selected for his Test debut, despite being assisted from Telstra Stadium early in the second half on Sunday night. He was smashed by Crocker and Storm fullback Billy Slater while fielding a Greg Inglis bomb and was left heavily concussed.

"Obviously I'll apologise and let him know there wasn't any intent in it," Crocker said after the Storm arrived back in Melbourne with the premiership trophy late yesterday afternoon following a three-hour debut delay at Sydney airport.

"I didn't get a chance to check to see if he was alright last night but I got Matt King to text one of the [Manly] boys because I missed him. I'm glad he's alright, it's obviously bad to see someone go down like that and I'm glad he's alright and he's got this opportunity. He deserves it."

After a number of off-field indiscretions and judiciary problems that led to his leaving the Roosters while Australia coach Ricky Stuart was in charge, Crocker admitted he was stunned by his selection.

He had booked a Thailand holiday with his girlfriend but would now postpone that to play in the Test.

"I've had a rollercoaster couple of years so to have this opportunity to be back in the Australian team is something special for me," the 27-year-old second-rower said. "I thought it was a joke and once it sunk in that I was actually in it, I could contain my emotions just enough and I'm very happy. To have a performance like that and to be recognised for it is rewarding."

Despite Crocker having played just 10 matches this season - mostly from the interchange bench - and requiring operations on both shoulders once he returns from Wellington, Stuart said his impact in the grand final was what was needed in Test football.

"He's a big-match player," Stuart said. "I've had the pleasure of coaching Michael and had some great success with Michael as a player. I know how valuable he is to a footy team and I know how much players around him enjoying playing with him. It's a great quality for a footy player and I'm excited for 'Croc' that he's back in the Australian team."

Stewart, who learnt of his selection from his brother Glenn, was equally as excited to be chosen for his first Test appearance.

"I was disappointed with our performance in the grand final but to get my first Test jersey makes it a season to remember," he said.

Manly medical staff yesterday assured Australian officials the head knock suffered by Stewart would not keep him out of what Stuart predicted was likely to be a torrid Test against the Kiwis.

With that in mind, the Kangaroos have selected a side containing a number of other players with the ability to intimidate opponents in Bird, Gallen and Willie Mason.

"Going across there and playing in that environment where you're a little bit out of your safety zone - I think you need players who can handle those types of conditions," Stuart said.

"I didn't get a chance to check to see if he was alright last night but I got Matt King to text one of the [Manly] boys because I missed him."

You mongrel dog. May your family be cursed and your prostrate swell up to the size of a pineapple.

May your prostrate swell up to the size of a pineapple.

The bright side is that he won't be able to fit his head in anymore.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6