Credit where credit's due....to Tooves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
After a week of media interviews seemingly every day, which must have been disruptive, well done to Tooves on an excellent win tonight! With the constant speculation surrounding the ASADA/substance investigation, it couldn't have been easy for him to focus on this week's game.

Good on you Tooves on a fantastic win!

I agree 100%, i said the same thing in the game thread, Toovey and the coaching staff have done an outstanding job. Our defense has not looked this good for a long time.

Yep. The team looks fit and has finished over the top of both opposition sides so far. Makes a welcome change to the second half fades we experienced there for a while.

Attack looks much better, and that is without Gift. Foran seems the focal point and he has been given the freedom to link with DCE, which has freshened things up somewhat. Also not having T-Rex has meant more creativity and variation down the left edge, our default play last year was T-Rex whether he was moving or not. Worked sometimes, but given his lack of enthusiasm it got predicatable.

We also just look more mobile in the middle and really getting off the line in defence. Considering we have a couple of pretty handy forwards to come back things are looking good.

Intensity and composure can be tricky to hold together in a single mixture. Some get intense and lose composure, others keep composed but lose intensity.

Tooves is managing to combine both nicely.

I really noticed how fit the team looked. Foran and Watmough in particular.
From what I hear the pre season has been tough and the toughist the team has endured in years. I really think this year Toovey will make his mark & good on him as he has really faced some challenges since his reign.

Toovey is a tough leader with a fine rugby league brain. I'll be shocked if he can't emulate what Des achieved as coach.

Toovey worked very closely with Hasler for years and he couldn't help but pick up plenty through that experience. But he has definitely added his own stamp and our start to the season is a credit to him.

Is it fair to say he is looking for a more up-tempo style, rather than just 'bash 'em'? That could explain the choice of energiser-bunny Lawrence and the apparent demise of Rose.

I particularly liked his presser after that 32-nil result, he was very low key and pretty much said, yeah the defence was quite good, but that was about it. He won't let the players get ahead of themselves.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I particularly liked his presser after that 32-nil result, he was very low key and pretty much said, yeah the defence was quite good, but that was about it.

Like his predecessor, Tooves gives nothing away in his presser.
A totally boring appraisal of 80 minutes of good play.

But in saying that, he and his staff have done a great job combining the new recruits to the old hands.

Not getting too far ahead, as it's only two from two, we are looking good!

In Tooves we trust!

We have returned to the up and in defensive pattern of 2008-2011 with good line speed. It's that simple and I have been banging on about this for 12 months now.

Keep it up, it's awesome defence.

Watching those interviews, Tooves is more confident and i am really impressed with his resilience (and diplomacy) oozing out in these snipets. In early 2012 he showed he was a bit fresh and now after a 'first' year done he has stepped up and has his plan in motion......gives me alot of hop for this season :)

I am liking how a lot of plays are now no longer designed for Snake to score, but for him to take the defensive heat and provide the wider guys with space to score.

MadMarcus said:
Where is Ryan?

Interesting question. He has been talking this team up before a ball was even kicked this season. It was as if he was setting them up for a fall - with Tooves to be the scapegoat.

At least it seemed that way when compared to the Toovey criticism of last season. Then again maybe I'm reading too much into it. ;)

Sometimes if you look hard there are other little indicators that might explain why we are playing strong or maybe because we are playing strong,thats why the indicators are there.
Have a look at the pats on the back,exitement when we score,is it my imagination or is it more spontaneous,involve more people,and happen quicker.The players ( all)are coming from everywhere and really seem to be enjoying each others contribution.I thought that it was there last year but more forced.Even the bench seems content and confident where last year it seemed tense-uncertain.Lasty is the warm up before the game and the way the guys interact with themselves during the game and with the crowd after the game.Our new blokes feel like they already belong and ant to be considered Eagles.But then again,I'm biased.GO TOOVES-GO MANLY

Frank said:
MadMarcus said:
Where is Ryan?

Interesting question. He has been talking this team up before a ball was even kicked this season. It was as if he was setting them up for a fall - with Tooves to be the scapegoat.

At least it seemed that way when compared to the Toovey criticism of last season. Then again maybe I'm reading too much into it. ;)

He posted last night.

Go manly said:
Sometimes if you look hard there are other little indicators that might explain why we are playing strong or maybe because we are playing strong,thats why the indicators are there.
Have a look at the pats on the back,exitement when we score,is it my imagination or is it more spontaneous,involve more people,and happen quicker.The players ( all)are coming from everywhere and really seem to be enjoying each others contribution.I thought that it was there last year but more forced.Even the bench seems content and confident where last year it seemed tense-uncertain.Lasty is the warm up before the game and the way the guys interact with themselves during the game and with the crowd after the game.Our new blokes feel like they already belong and ant to be considered Eagles.But then again,I'm biased.GO TOOVES-GO MANLY
I loved the way the guys were grinning from ear to ear and having a good old laugh when Choc went over to score. They're enjoying their footy again.

I think Brad Arthur could be a big factor in our tightness as a Defensive unit. I thought he was going to be a handy pick up and all signs are good.

I think Tooves has done a fantastic job since he became coach. He's got the makings of being one of our best.

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4