Credit to coach Geoff Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bob dylan said:
I love the guy but his post match press conference Sunday was an embarrassment to the fans, the player, the club and himself.

He is better than that.
What the...? Are you stirring? From what I saw he did pretty well in the circumstances.

I'll admit I had some reservations about Tooves when he took over last year.
But during that time he's done better than any of us could have expected.
He doesn't have the polish of the more seasoned coaches but I think that's
one of his endearing qualities.

9 games in total this year against other teams in top four, not including trials, and including finals.

Record : 6 losses 2 wins 1 draw.
Total net for and against across these 9 games is -20 points.
Four losses were 8 points or less.
Two other losses were 12 points

On the surface it's not great though overall it's not like we were way off the mark. I know people will say it's not the score it's how you lose and I'll grant you in some of these games we really didn't look to be in the game.

How many of these games were without Brett Stewart.
Answer : 3 - 2 losses and the 10-10 draw

We didn't appear to be overly disadvantaged by byes / SOO.
The run of Monday night games sucked but we held our own on these.

Looking at a comparison of teams stats the big differences between the top 4 teams.
We were worst in errors, 35 sets of 6 worse than Souths.
We had over 400 more runs than Souths and 250 more than the other two.
Offloads we were well in front of the top 4, 2nd best in league behind St George.
Tackle breaks well behind Roosters and Souths, with Roosters over 100 higher.
Line breaks second best in league behind the Roosters.
Total tackles were about square.

I think what stands out here is errors, we were worst in the league (interestingly Roosters were second). This may come along with the offloads and pushing the passes. It makes our offensive stats look good though with the errors comes opportunity for the opponent.

Total players used : Manly 28, Roosters 25, Souths 27, Storm 28

I'd be willing to give Tooves some slack here ..... it wasn't a good year for injuries :
Season ending injuries for Joe & King.
Gifty and Brett were far from 100% for a lot of the year
Watmough & Kite were carrying injuries from the start of the year

Hopefully with a good off season they'll be in better shape.
To win the GF you need all these little things to go your way through the season. Disruptions to the playing group doesn't help.

To be honest have a look around at the other teams and their coaching situation. I think we're pretty well off, and if Parra take Taylor over Arthur it will be their loss and a great result for us if we can keep him.

Watto1972 said:
Do I dare bring up Tooves record against top 4 teams this year?

Can someone please explain to me why is this always referenced as a "top 4 team"? Surely it should be "top 3 team" as Manly was always in the top 4 teams when the criticism started. In my opinion, by saying that Manly can't/couldn't beat a top 4 team, it implies that they have to beat themselves too if that's even possible. :rolleyes:

First 2 years of coaching and he has a Prelim Final and a Grand Final. Next year he will go 1 step better. Looks to me like he knows how to coach.

Its clear Manly could more than match any team in the NRL & though there has been loads of reasons given for the GF loss, only injuries over key players stopped Tooves at the final hurdle from getting his much deserved credit.
Super effort from a bloke who has overcome huge hurdles to have this team playing to its potential, cant ask for more than that - thanks Tooves!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4