Crackdown on tanning salons

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
Does anyone's partner visit a tanning salon? My mrs nickname is Casper so she is safe.

THE heart-breaking case of a young woman dying of skin cancer has prompted a rapid state government response.

Clare Oliver, 25, knows skin cancer will claim her life in the coming weeks, if not days.

It has already robbed her of her dream to become a journalist, but the determined 25-year-old still has the courage to write for the Herald Sun from her bed at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre to warn others of the dangers of tanning salons.

Her brave warning came as Cancer Council Victoria pleaded with the State Government to regulate the booming tanning industry, which it says contributes to skin cancer deaths and melanoma.

This morning the government reacted, saying it would legislate to ensure that tanning salons adhered to age limits for clients and insisted on parental consent forms from customers aged between 16 and 18.

State Health Minister Daniel Andrews said the industry's voluntary code of practice would be written into Victorian law, with penalties applying for businesses which breached the regulations.
Under the laws, solariums must give health warnings to customers about the risks of using tanning beds and must obtain informed consent.

"That will be about making sure that every single Victorian who uses these services gets the proper information and provide informed consent and be clear and understand the risks that they are taking," Mr Andrews said.

"I think ultimately that may well save lives."

Mr Andrews said penalties for breaches of the new laws were yet to be determined.

But any action will be too late to save Clare, who now just wants to live long enough to enjoy her 26th birthday on Saturday.

Yeah I saw this last night on TV.

Its sad but its just like smoking. Do you really have pity for people who know what they are doing to themselves?

I saw her this morning on the TV. She is asian looking with olive skin so it is very surprising that she has skin cancer.

[quote author=tookey]
I saw her this morning on the TV. She is asian looking with olive skin so it is very surprising that she has skin cancer.

She used to be Irish !

[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

Solarium skin cancer victim Clare Oliver dies

SKIN cancer victim Clare Oliver has lost her battle, dying in hospital this morning.

Ms Oliver, who turned 26 late last month, had campaigned in her final days to raise awareness of the dangers of tanning salons.

Ms Oliver who died of aggressive melanoma, captured Victorian hearts when she spoke out against tanning and solariums.

Her plight sparked the government to action with Health Minister Daniel Andrews promising to frame legislation to ensure that tanning salons adhered to age limits for clients and insisted on parental consent forms from customers aged between 16 and 18.

Mr Andrews said the industry's voluntary code of practice would be written into Victorian law, with penalties applying for businesses which breached the regulations.

Under the laws, solariums would be required to give health warnings to customers about the risks of using tanning beds and must obtain informed consent.

"That will be about making sure that every single Victorian who uses these services gets the proper information and provide informed consent and be clear and understand the risks that they are taking," Mr Andrews said at the time.

"I think ultimately that may well save lives."

Shortly before her death, Ms Oliver - who aspired to become a journalist - wrote a moving account of her battle.

She wrote:

"I AM at peace. But if I could go back and talk to myself when I was 19 I would tell that girl not to use a solarium -- that melanoma is not a small cancer that you just have cut out and you will be fine.

I may pass in another week or it could be two. If I really fight it out, I may even have six weeks left.
It's scary, because I feel myself getting more tired, and each time I feel sleepy it worries me that I might not wake up.

So far I have lived 25 years. If I am lucky I will reach 26 because my birthday is on Saturday.
It is a short life, but I have lived it.

Subconsciously I did know that cancer was involved with solariums because I was aware of UV A and UV B rays.

But when I was 19, I saw a cheap offer of ``buy 10 sessions and get 20''.

The girl working at the tanning salon told me the fastest way to get a tan was to come in every second day and use speed cream.

My mum told me it was abnormal to get in a box and fry myself, but I told her it was cool and everyone was doing it.

After the 10th session I was starting to burn and it hurt, so I stopped. But I guess I stopped too late.
It would be irresponsible of me to blame it just on solariums, because I grew up in St Kilda and went to the beach a lot.

But you can't tell me the Government doesn't realise the dangers of solariums.

Young girls need to go out and educate themselves about solariums before they make any decisions.

Obviously my decision has been made, and I think they should be banned. But now that you know my story and the resulting risks involved, hopefully you will realise it is not worth having a golden tan.

I am angry at myself mostly, but I can't believe how much the industry is booming.

A lot of friends tell me I still have a lot of life left in me, but I just live every day as though it is my last.

I was 22 when diagnosed. I had just finished a Bachelor of Media and Communication and a Master of Cinema at the University of Melbourne and started work as a sports journalist at SBS.
I was on top of the world.

But I only got to work for three weeks and then I found out about my cancer.

I will never get to climb the so-called ladder, and even now I complain about not being able to run the rat race with everyone else.

I know I would be good at it -- I think I would be great at it.

I wanted to go to the top, but now feel I have so much potential that will be unused.

It was 2004 when they found a tumour under my left armpit, which they treated with immunotherapy.

In July 2005, it came back and this time they treated me with radiotherapy.

I was cancer-free for a year and seven months, and then in April I found a lump in my neck. I thought they could just cut it out, but it turns out there were seven tumours in my chest and one in my lung.

Now they have stopped counting how many there are.

I had all these ideas and in the end I was ready to accept that two years would be more than enough time left.

But I have accepted it, especially now that I am nearing the end and I am at peace.

When you are someone like me you realise that life is everything and you grab it with both hands and embrace it.

If there is something that you feel needs to be done, go and do it, and do it wholeheartedly because life is short.

People ask me how I can still be so happy with all this on my plate. But I have lived my life as a spark. I don't want to live a life where I am living until I am 100 and just flat boring.

I have always lived my life with compassion and passion. I have never been one to keep my silence about anything I have felt passionate about. ''

Melanoma is no joke. And I will keep championing this cause till the day I take my last breath."

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2