Cowboys v Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles R8 Teams and Chat thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Cowboys v Sea Eagles
Dairy Farmers Stadium
Saturday 7.30pm
http://www.nrl.com/cowboys-v-sea-eagles-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/62470/default.aspx

Could it be true? Is this for real? Are the Cowboys finally returning to the form we all expected from them after three years in the wilderness?

Saturday night’s big home game against the Sea Eagles represents the perfect chance for the Cowboys to usher all of us back onto the belief train. After winning in the Sutherland Shire for just the second time in history last weekend, the Cowboys have knocked together three straight wins and remain fourth on the ladder with a decent 5-2 record. They are now on the verge of maintaining a top-four spot for a solid month – if they do it will be the first time since 2007 they have managed such a purple patch of form.

But they take on a Manly side that is also 5-2 and also coming off the back of three straight victories. They sit in fifth spot, only behind the Cowboys on percentages – and they have designs on entering the top four themselves.

After taking care of Cronulla last week the Cowboys have retained the victorious 17 players, only adding youngster James Segeyaro as an 18th man.

The Sea Eagles, who accounted for Penrith and put the final nail in Matt Elliott’s coaching coffin, have once again named Brett Stewart to return at fullback, shifting William Hopoate to the wing and Michael Oldfield to the bench. If Stewart is missing yet again, the club will suffice. Hopoate has been awesome and rookie Oldfield is recording the fewest touches for every try scored for any regular first grade player (16.3). They’re travelling so well they have been able to exempt Tony Williams from bench duty, with Tim Robinson named in his place.

Watch Out Cowboys: The Sea Eagles have plenty of stars in their line-up but one guy to keep an eye on is headgear-wearing bench player Jamie Buhrer; he’s played all seven games so far this season and is creating plenty of inroads, particularly on the left edge. Buhrer is averaging 98 metres a game, has four line-breaks and three tries… not bad for a bench forward who can also fill in at centre.

Danger Sign: Watch for Buhrer to pop up in or around Anthony Watmough in attack. The pair have started a pretty good combination on the left side. He’s also linking well with Kieran Foran, running straight lines from close range. Look for Foran to put him through a gap with a precision pass.

Watch Out Sea Eagles: The Cowboys’ players are adept at breaking the line, with 36 line-breaks for the year so far. This is second only behind Melbourne’s 38 line-breaks.

But perhaps what makes the Cowboys’ figures a little more impressive is the fact they have also added 19 half-breaks. If the side starts to convert mini-break chances into full line-breaks, the scoreboard attendant at Dairy Farmers Stadium might be asking for a pay rise.

The Cowboys have four players in the top 20 for line-breaks who definitely have to be watched closely: Ashley Graham (six), Johnathan Thurston (five), Matt Bowen (four) and Gavin Cooper (four) have been the main destroyers – although only Dallas Johnson, Ashton Sims and Matt Scott have failed to break the line when it comes to regular first graders, so they are dangerous all over the park.

Danger Sign: If a Cowboy enters the backfield in the opening 10 minutes it could be a long night for Manly, particularly if it results in points.

Plays To Watch: Kieran Foran taking on the line (with a Kiwis Test jersey up for grabs after this encounter he’ll be massively involved); Johnathan Thurston reciprocating and showing him how it’s really done; Bowen (and Stewart if he plays) chiming up the middle off offloads; Gavin Cooper (or Scott Bolton) getting a flat pass near the line; Steve Matai hitting hard in defence on the left edge; Steve Matai weaving attacking magic and one-handed offloads on the left edge.

Where It Will Be Won: The form of the centres in this game will be fun to watch – they are likely to have a profound effect on the result.

Cowboys star Willie Tonga shouldn’t be totally left out of Test contention considering he is the incumbent. He goes up against New South Wales hopeful Jamie Lyon and Kiwi hopeful Steve Matai.

Matai played strongly last week against the Panthers (with a try double) but despite a seven-year career span he has only played the Cowboys three times due to injuries and suspensions. He is averaging 144 metres since returning from suspension this year, has five line-breaks, two tries and a try assist plus 19 tackle-breaks – all from three games.

Lyon is running much less this season with an average of just 49 metres. He is yet to break the line in his five games but does have three try assists. Tonga has tallied 110 average metres and three line-breaks, one line-break assist, one try assist and three tries plus 31 tackle-breaks. Antonio Winterstein is still finding his feet at centre for the Cowboys, but club insiders say a breakthrough performance is on the cards sooner rather than later.

The History: Played 15; Cowboys 6, Sea Eagles 9. The teams have split the past eight four wins apiece – although the Sea Eagles have won three of the past four, including the only match-up last season when they prevailed 24-20 in Townsville. (You might remember that game from Johnathan Thurston’s expletive-driven rant, when it appeared Willie Tonga might snatch victory at the death, only to be called back for a forward pass.)

In the eight games played in Townsville the spoils are shared four all – and amazingly both teams have scored exactly 186 points!

Conclusion: Both teams haven’t shown their best stuff, yet both keep winning. Someone is likely to walk away from here with a healthy four-game winning streak and a spot in the top four. The lean, in a very close one, might be to the Cowboys purely as they are at home. Granted the venue hasn’t really been a graveyard in recent seasons, but they are 3-1 there this year and both of the Sea Eagles’ losses came away from home. That might be enough.

Match officials: Referees – Shayne Hayne & Gavin Morris; Touch Judges – Daniel Eastwood & Chris Butler; Video Ref – Paul Simpkins.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 7.30pm.

• 👍
Reactions: ads
Really solid writeup that one and very fair and even

Can anyone please tell me why the f...ck they keep putting Stewarts name on the team sheet when he won't be playing.It is a total joke.He has not played for a month and each week they say he is having a fitness test.A fitness test suggests he is close and obviously that has been rubbish as 4 weeks later he is still out.Ar ewe supposed to believe he twinges it each friday.

It fools no-one,is frustrating for fans,and simply furthers the innuendo that he is seriously injured.

When he is fit,pick him.Its not that hard.

He may play this week,who knows,but the novelty is wearing off real quick.No-One is complaining because Hoppa is going so good but if Robbo was there each week it would be driving people crazy.

Why bother?

any news on him playing or not at this stage

hoppa is going great but i miss the little bloke
sooner he gets back and gets game time the sooner he will get back to his best

Why not Susan. All of us know that the team sheet in the newspaper is rubbish. My guess is the hammy was torn and thus takes longer to get right, especially combined with the knee surgery in the off season. I used to worry with him not on the field, but not so much anymore now that Hoppa is at the back rather than a fill in like Robbo. Strangely I don't miss David Williams at all. I can't really see a defeat this weekend. Our centres are superior to theres and our pack will work hard and stop there go forward. Lyon will take care of Thurston, which nullifies Bowen and a win by 8 is clearly there for us.

Not missing snake, wolfie or T Rex. Our combos are gelling really well & it seems such a shame to break this up at the moment. The young blokes are really stepping up. They are loving their footy & it shows in the creativity they display on the field & the 2 points they take back to brookie GO MANLY. Its very annoying to see snake listed each week when he is only scratched late in the week. Its a nightmare for supercoach to!!!! I have actually traded him LOL. When & if Snake, wolfie & TRex make it back on the field how good will they be with so little game play? Better than Hoppa, Oldfield, Foran & Bruher??? I think not. GO MANLY make it 4 in a row boys!!!!

manlysister said:
Not missing snake, wolfie or T Rex. Our combos are gelling really well & it seems such a shame to break this up at the moment. The young blokes are really stepping up. They are loving their footy & it shows in the creativity they display on the field & the 2 points they take back to brookie GO MANLY. Its very annoying to see snake listed each week when he is only scratched late in the week. Its a nightmare for supercoach to!!!! I have actually traded him LOL. When & if Snake, wolfie & TRex make it back on the field how good will they be with so little game play? Better than Hoppa, Oldfield, Foran & Bruher??? I think not. GO MANLY make it 4 in a row boys!!!!

Bring them back through NSW Cup

You would think that would be the best thing to do is give them a run in NSW Cup, but I know Des would just slot them straight into first grade. Hence Stewarts name appearing every damn week as no 1 so annoying Go Hoppa!!!!

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
eagles2win said:
manlysister said:

Bring them back through NSW Cup
get off the grass if Brett is fit he comes straight back in to our side he is one of the best players in the world.

how fickle some of you are and how quickly you forget.

No not fickle at all just realistic. Yes he is awesome, yes he has done amazing things for us. But he has had little or NO game time. The games he has played have been tentative & look what happened he got injured AGAIN. He needs some game time in NSW cup. His confidence has to be shattered he has had a nightmare 2 years. Mentally that is very tough. I am not bagging him out he is awesome. But we have to really support the young guys playing now. They dont deserve to be cut while they are playing so good to make way for snake. Those boys have got us to where we are now on the ladder. Brettt should have to prove himself too. I never bag my boys MANLY are the awesome & will support them win , lose or draw!

manlysister said:
No not fickle at all just realistic. Yes he is awesome, yes he has done amazing things for us. But he has had little or NO game time. The games he has played have been tentative & look what happened he got injured AGAIN. He needs some game time in NSW cup. His confidence has to be shattered he has had a nightmare 2 years. Mentally that is very tough. I am not bagging him out he is awesome. But we have to really support the young guys playing now. They dont deserve to be cut while they are playing so good to make way for snake. Those boys have got us to where we are now on the ladder. Brettt should have to prove himself too. I never bag my boys MANLY are the awesome & will support them win , lose or draw!

Thank you

Can't see Snake playing NSW cup, it just wont happen. Dave Williams? For sure. Tony Williams? He should be playing there already.

Snake will go back into the starting line-up when he is fit. I do agree with Cambo to an extent about how quickly people forget how good he was but we also forget that he was pretty damn good in the games he has had this year as well. This season was always going to be tough for him, but if the club stands by him & slogs it out I can't help but feel they will both be better for it.

What's the big deal about Des naming Brett?
Obviously he's just saying that if fit, he'll be named. Obviously they just can't tell when that will be but it should be close.
Dave Williams will most likely come back through reggies as I think Hoppa ha got himself a permanent spot in the back 5. It's sad to say but the hairy one is now depth. He'll be competing with Oldfield.

I'm liking what little we've seen of T-Rex in the 2nd row. It's certainly where he'll show his best, it's just a case of whether he'll still be with us next year. If so, keep him going, if not, he's depth as well.

Oldfield will not keep Wolfman out of a first grade spot.
Wont happen.

Respect them both but Wolfie when fit is a shoe in.

I'm not saying Oldfield, Jerry. Hoppa will stay in the 5 jumper when Brett & Wolfie are back, unless Des decides to rest Hoppa.
What I said, if you care to read, is that Dave will be competeing with Oldfield for the 1st call-up if someone is injured.

Interesting stats above:

• Oldfield is recording the fewest touches for every try scored for any regular first grade player (16.3)
  • Buhrer is averaging 98 metres a game, has four line-breaks and three tries… a bench forward
  • Matai is averaging 144 metres since returning from suspension this year, has five line-breaks, two tries and a try assist plus 19 tackle-breaks – all from three games.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6