Cowboys Goal Kicking

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
That's what lost the match, not the dodgy video ref call.

I hope they speak about that as much as the video refs decision when they do their presser.

Well they shouldn't have even got one of those kicks to miss. That penalty against Killer was a joke. All he did was brace for impact. Justice that the kick missed.

Our goal kicking wasn't the best either just quietly

Thurston not taking those first two shots was a worse decision than the video refs call. And then Thurston first kck was the worst of the lot.

He is carrying an injury (hip flexor ??) so that's why he didn't take the first two

That Feldt isn't an absolute mug of a kicker normally as well

Remember him being U20s top pointscorer for a while, although he did absolutely choke on an easy one that cost the Cowboys the premiership so maybe that has cooked his mind with kicking

I think the problem is that we've been spoiled in the past having kickers the quality of Ridgey and Ben Walker. On his day Killer is a good kicker, but anything wider than 20 metres either side of the posts and he can be very hit and miss with the boot. IIRC Matt Orford was the same. From out wide he was odds on to miss most of the time.

Another part of the problem is that while Killer is our best kicker right now (Skivvy is a reluctant kicker while DCE is another who's hit and miss), he's not in the same accuracy class as the likes of Thurston, Baloney or even Adam Ryenolds. And that can be a worry because as we saw last night, missing kicks, especially easy ones like Feldt missed, can cost a team a win.

I do remember either Warren or Gould mentioning last night that he had a hip flexor problem which is why Feldt took those first two kicks. Freddie also reported that JT felt 'cold' both after the warm up and after half time and wasn't confident of taking kicks without risking injury. But it became necessary for him to kick after Feldt threw away an easy 4 points. Those 4 points could have made a lot of difference to the final outcome. Had he kicked those, with 10 to go it might have been 24-10 and that is a big difference knowing you have to score at least 3 times in 10 minutes rather than just 2. Not saying we'd have conceded at that point because as it turned out, we kept our heads and did score 3 times, but its a bigger psychological hurdle and it might have forced some desperate play that didn't come off.

Did anyone see this weeks Footy Show? I liked BJ's form when he won 10 large for the Manly supporter they plucked out of the studio audience in the 'Kick for Cash' segment. He just set the ball, walked back, took one look at the ball, one at the posts, moved in and nailed it with distance no problem. Didn't line it up, didn't take a thousand looks at the posts, just walked back, moved in and drilled it through the posts. I wonder if he'll be lobbying Tooves to take over from Killer?

More concerned with our place kicking . As a team I don't think the 2 points is valued enough. Jamie had Graham Arnold come in as a kicking coach before the finals last year. it's often the difference between winning an losing. IMO Jamie should have a kicking coach working with him and others every week.

Cliffy said:
More concerned with our place kicking . As a team I don't think the 2 points is valued enough. Jamie had Graham Arnold come in as a kicking coach before the finals last year. it's often the difference between winning an losing. IMO Jamie should have a kicking coach working with him and others every week.

I wonder if Matthew Ridge is doing anything? They could definitely do a lot worse than to get an ex-Sea Eagle who was an 80.22% career goal kicker to give Killer a few pointers. And besides, don't we already have noted kicker Andrew Johns on the coaching staff? Joey was a 74.25% kicker (Killer's career % in the NRL is 73.79).

If we had managed to keep Hodkinson, Dce might not have come through.

Money for Glenn.

I'm happy but I do wonder

Big ifs and big buts

I do always think about big but(t)s in my fantasy world

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4