Could Buhrer be next 2 go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He just needs to watch his error rate and penalty count, as both are too high. He has great footwork though, and if he was a little fitter he could be much more effective. He has potential to be excellent for us, just a few things to work on IMO.

pjayz said:
if he was a little fitter
I'm sure he's fit.
I often look at NRL players and think wow that guy looks a bit chunky etc, but I assume their body shapes are specifically planned by the training staff.
With smaller players like Buhrer they would be trying to pack on as many kilos as possible. Gift has looked bulky at times, but he also needs those extra kilos to play his role.
Even a small player like A Reynolds looks a bit chunky around the midsection and I'm sure it's just to give him a bit more bulk so he can withstand the pounding.

Keep Buhrer. Always works hard in attack & D. Versatile - gotta work on ball control. Resign Jorge, Kingy for another year & JSL.

Warriors can have Hiku for a mill ($330k x 3 years). We have Blair & other young outide backs at the club.

Release wolfie as well, Symonds, Hasson and, because Gifty's moved on, maybe look for another big guy (Tim Browne, Sam Moa, Sam McKendry, even Leahroyd-Lars?).

Prescription body building diet will do. He has the capacity the build a bigger and more muscled body than Gift.

"Hey Jamie, will you come play for us for 1.5million a year for 6 years?"

......Buhrer goes.

So I guess he could be the next if that happens.

Is it just me or does Buhrer seem to get pinged by the refs a lot? When he comes on the field, I sort of expect the whistle to blow within a couple of minutes. It's as if the refs target him a bit, particularly with not letting tackled players up quick enough. I'm probably paranoid, but watch the game tomorrow and see if it happens.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
pjayz said:
I'm sure he's fit.
I often look at NRL players and think wow that guy looks a bit chunky etc, but I assume their body shapes are specifically planned by the training staff.
With smaller players like Buhrer they would be trying to pack on as many kilos as possible. Gift has looked bulky at times, but he also needs those extra kilos to play his role.
Even a small player like A Reynolds looks a bit chunky around the midsection and I'm sure it's just to give him a bit more bulk so he can withstand the pounding.

There is a point of diminishing returns also in relation to protection and being able to do your job.

For years i wanted Foran to lose a little weight to improve his sharpness and the last year or so it has improved his game big time, he is starting to make breaks again and create half breaks through the line with his sharpness.

Foran has eased up on the defensive intensity playing smarter to preserve his body but is still more than effective at the slightly lower weight, a few times it does show falling off the odd tackle but there has been more positives than negatives.

Always felt Buhrer was a little soft body wise and in defence, does tend to fatigue quickly but i must admit last year and this year he has toughened up with improved levels of fitness.

To me Gift is a great ball player but the bulking up has removed any sharpness to his game combined with age. In defence he has periods of fatigue that are really noticeable which is targeted by other teams and Glenn starts to hand grab, he does rack up good tackle counts and playing the entire game he still puts in a massive effort.

Problem is most of the past 3-4 years we are getting an extra 5/8 with no sharpness and losing a backrower with some go forward which puts pressure on others to raise their go forward numbers.

We need more size and explosive strength up the middle---- to be honest it has been an amazing effort from the coaching staff to extract the levels of performance from the forwards we have had over the years but it is getting to the point now where no amount of coaching will fill the void.

This is the reason Gift is being let go not salary cap issues(well i'm sure no salary cap Gift would still be at Manly), players like Matai and Watmough still have explosive sharpness and will be retained at all costs.

Souths attack overly relies on sharp right to left plays,(very one dimensional) left to right plays are slow deep not creative and easily read this is why they are not GF material yet. Gift will help in this regard but they still need outside backs and their halves are average.

Even with those limitations Souths power game killed Manly early on in that Semi,(a sign to the future if we don't address our forward stocks) they just struggle to maintain the intensity and composure long enough. Souths attack is too one dimensional to take the load off the forwards in the go forward area, what i mean by this is not just in the red zone but going through the hands with a variation of structured plays on the edges to gain softer go forward like what Manly has pioneered and perfected which others are following.

I can see some purposeful intent in the selection and make up of our forwards.
Over an 80 minute game they seem to prevail over larger more powerful packs.
This is because they are mobile and very quick off the mark with footwork to suit.

To be fair we have let a similar amount of quality go also. Jared Warea Hargreaves (Big Money to Roosters), Orford, Josh Perry, Mark Bryant, Glen Hall, Darcy Lussick, TRex, Heath L'Strange, Shane Rodney, Ben Kennedy, Trent Hodgkinson, Joe Galuvao, Michael Robertson, Brent Kite, Steve Menzies, Chris Hicks, Cuthbo, Steve Bell, Mick Monaghan and Willo just to name a few. So to suggest we have kept the same team together is bulldust we have developed players that have come through the ranks and killed it. Roosters, Broncos and Dogs dont seem to need to shed this many and Roosters are unbelievable! they still find a way to steal NYC talent from us like Oldfield, JWH and Lama Tasi whilst they maintain all of their own NYC players like Boyd Cordner, Aiden Guerra, Dylan Napa, Tupou, Roger Shek and then have the cash still available to sign SBW, Maloney, Jennings, Oldfield, Sam Moa, and Luke O'Donnell and give Minichiello another run around for old time sake. Its a load of garbage.

And if Glenn's contract was so back ended doesnt that effect us this year so why not just back end the next one. The whole thing is a joke and its obvious some clubs are getting concessions from the NRL like Lockyers joke of a contract.

Technical Coach said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
pjayz said:
I'm sure he's fit.

There is a point of diminishing returns also in relation to protection and being able to do your job.

For years i wanted Foran to lose a little weight to improve his sharpness and the last year or so it has improved his game big time, he is starting to make breaks again and create half breaks through the line with his sharpness.

Foran has eased up on the defensive intensity playing smarter to preserve his body but is still more than effective at the slightly lower weight, a few times it does show falling off the odd tackle but there has been more positives than negatives.

Always felt Buhrer was a little soft body wise and in defence, does tend to fatigue quickly but i must admit last year and this year he has toughened up with improved levels of fitness.

To me Gift is a great ball player but the bulking up has removed any sharpness to his game combined with age. In defence he has periods of fatigue that are really noticeable which is targeted by other teams and Glenn starts to hand grab, he does rack up good tackle counts and playing the entire game he still puts in a massive effort.

Problem is most of the past 3-4 years we are getting an extra 5/8 with no sharpness and losing a backrower with some go forward which puts pressure on others to raise their go forward numbers.

We need more size and explosive strength up the middle---- to be honest it has been an amazing effort from the coaching staff to extract the levels of performance from the forwards we have had over the years but it is getting to the point now where no amount of coaching will fill the void.

This is the reason Gift is being let go not salary cap issues(well i'm sure no salary cap Gift would still be at Manly), players like Matai and Watmough still have explosive sharpness and will be retained at all costs.

Souths attack overly relies on sharp right to left plays,(very one dimensional) left to right plays are slow deep not creative and easily read this is why they are not GF material yet. Gift will help in this regard but they still need outside backs and their halves are average.

Even with those limitations Souths power game killed Manly early on in that Semi,(a sign to the future if we don't address our forward stocks) they just struggle to maintain the intensity and composure long enough. Souths attack is too one dimensional to take the load off the forwards in the go forward area, what i mean by this is not just in the red zone but going through the hands with a variation of structured plays on the edges to gain softer go forward like what Manly has pioneered and perfected which others are following.

Souths are at their worst when Sutton tries to be a ball player. It totally stunts their attack. Everything is slow , telegraphed and often unravels. When he just hits the ball up they look infinitely better. The trouble is Reynolds is not a ball player either. When Reynolds passes it's usually right to left. He tends to kick for his right winger rather than pass. James Graham would have been a good fit , but G. Stewart will certainly give them something they lack. Signing Widdop would have solved their problems .

I saw a buhrer tractor the other day, we should get one to drive around brookie oval! C'mon manly, sponsorship opportunity, maybe a 3rd party, surely they'd sponsor Jamie regardless of what club he was at, therefore legitimate 3rd party...

Red Pill said:
This is because they are mobile and very quick off the mark with footwork to suit.

The trouble is the attrition over the whole season when the forward pack is constantly punching above its weight . We ran out of petrol in the 2nd half of the elimination final against the Sharks last year and in the last 20 minutes or so of the Grand Final. Almost every week it's an arm wrestle . Hopefully Hodges gets a chance to add some much needed variety and thrust up the middle of the ruck which is needed against the better teams at the business end of the year. Ballin is a rock in defence and was doing more in attack against the Cowboys than usual but his dummy half service is on the slowish side which jars the attack close to the opposition's line. Apart from the general panic which ensues when setting up for a field goal , slow dummy half service is one of the reasons why we struggle in that area.

driftout said:
Red Pill said:

The trouble is the attrition over the whole season when the forward pack is constantly punching above its weight . We ran out of petrol in the 2nd half of the elimination final against the Sharks last year and in the last 20 minutes or so of the Grand Final. Almost every week it's an arm wrestle . Hopefully Hodges gets a chance to add some much needed variety and thrust up the middle of the ruck which is needed against the better teams at the business end of the year. Ballin is a rock in defence and was doing more in attack against the Cowboys than usual but his dummy half service is on the slowish side which jars the attack close to the opposition's line. Apart from the general panic which ensues when setting up for a field goal , slow dummy half service is one of the reasons why we struggle in that area.

Good point but we forget how well we did last year! How many front rowers did we lose to injury last year? We also went through the semis the hard way losing our first game to the Roosters. Need to rotate our forwards this year. I am sure we will see Turbo in first grade later in the year and hopefully the new guy lauki will also come on later in the year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6