Cost of Lower Grades

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
During the Hasler years, we saw the lower grade results as a poor reflection of the club. Bar one year, the second of the Under 20's, where we had quite a good team with players to become established first graders. Hasler/the Club focused on only a few players throughout all of the lower grades and it seemed they were the only ones with a chance to come through. Hasler has done the same at Canterbury. I am not deathriding this concept, as in some ways it will be deemed as a cost effective and successful way and for Manly which earned the club two premierships and nearly one for Canterbury.
Since Hasler left, it has taken a few years for the lower grades, as a whole, to give better on field results. Matthews and Ball had good results this year, the Youth Cup is going well, on the back of a decent 2nd half of 2014 and miracles can happen,the NSW Cup have got themselves into the semis. Can't remember the last time the Reserves have done that.
Does this mean, there is more depth throughout the Club? Next year should see more of this year's Under 20's in the NSW Cup which should be an encouraging sign for 2017.
Being an "old fart", I certainly miss the days of President's Cup became your 3rd Graders, 3rds became your Reserve graders and believe it or not, the Reserve graders became your first graders. Clubs at the start of the year would list the 55 players as the Club squad.

The fact that contracts mean nothing means that reggies / juniors means nothing in regards to future success.
Warriors know this and conversley so do the Roo$ters.

The fact that contracts mean nothing means that reggies / juniors means nothing in regards to future success.
Warriors know this and conversley so do the Roo$ters.

Sorry but I think you're wrong about the Warriors and their attitude towards the junior/lower grades and their worth.

Here is a snippet from when Club Great Stacey Jones was announced as the NSW Cup Coach for this season......

....."The club great also knows a key part of his role will be preparing some of the Warriors Under-20s players to take the step up in coming seasons so don’t be surprised to see a host of those players blooded in VB NSW Cup this year.

“Last year we pushed a lot of the -20s players up into VB NSW Cup at different stages of the season to get them that experience,” said Jones.

“We might look to do the same this year but possibly later in the season.”.......

So now 24 rounds later in season 2015, Stacey Jones has used a whopping 51 players in his NSW Cup side and more newbies will be blooded again this week against Mounties.

Having seen their U20's trials first hand, I can tell you now, their talent pool is ridiculously massive, so it is no wonder why they do care and invest time and money into their lower grades!
Jones was the Junior Development Manager for NZRL before stepping into the NSW Cup coaching role so he not only knows what he's talking about but also has a passion for development!

Bozo has again shifted recruitment emphasis to youth, as he has done previously. If young players have mates here, enjoy the area, have trust they're being looked after, develop loyalties, etc, then they are more of a chance of being retained. And we better understand their worth and potential.

Doesn't mean the entire junior squads need to be world beaters.

The point i was trying to make was to show that the roo$ters just buy players and are going really well over the last few years and the Warrior's develop a lot of good jnrs and are going mediocre.

Premierships are won on youth coming through and playing well above their pay grade.

Foran, DCE & Hoppa?
Cleary, Johnston, Walker, Koriasou
RTS, Lui & Hayne

Premierships are won on youth coming through and playing well above their pay grade.

Foran, DCE & Hoppa?
Cleary, Johnston, Walker, Koriasou
RTS, Lui & Hayne
Or where one contract is below their pay grade but when you put both of the players contracts together the total is way above what is right, a la Storm and Roosters and souffs.

Wasn't this one of the areas the Penn regime promised would be addressed upon them taking over sole ownership - more resources would be put into the lower grades rather than them being on a shoe string. Given the results this year then you'd have to give them a pass mark in that respect.

Hasler runs his teams like SuperCoach. Cash cows and keepers only. Nothing in between.
Lower grades suffer.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6