1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cops to appeal Carney decision

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by wombatgc, Apr 9, 2011.

1. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,489 / 42
    POLICE are set to appeal the lenient sentence that allowed Roosters star Todd Carney to keep his licence, despite pleading guilty to drink driving.
    In a decision that has stunned road safety advocates, P-plater Carney escaped with a section 10 ruling by Magistrate Jaqueline Milledge, allowing him to keep his licence after pleading guilty to low-range drink driving.The 24-year-old, who was arrested on February 26, was previously suspended from driving in 2007 after a drunken police chase in the ACT.

Ms Milledge placed Carney on a 24-month bond, declaring "he will not lose his licence".

"NSW police intend to refer the matter to the DPP for consideration of appeal," Police Prosecutions commander Superintendent Tony Trichter said yesterday.

Good to hear.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/cops-to-appeal-todd-carney-verdict/story-e6frexnr-1226036227829

2. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,802 / 122
    By the time the appeal rolls around he'll probably already be in trouble for something else.

3. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,553 / 32
    Absolute bull**** he kept his licence. With his driving record he should'nt be allowed to ride a pushbike on the road.

4. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Hadley said on his show that the RTA may suspend his licence for 5 years as he is a habitual offender

5. torana355

torana355 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,491 / 27
    I hope this happens, what will it take for this asshole to go to jail? Killing someone while drink driving??

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    It is all OK because Gallop has read Carney's mind and determined that he didn't mean to do it. Just like Gallop read Carney's mind and determined he didn't mean to turn up late for his court hearing.

Gallop's scale of suspensions
    :
    Driving drunk = 0 weeks
    Wee on wall = 1 week
    Catch a cab = 4 weeks

7. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 15
    That RBT show on tellie puts up the punishment people get for low range drink driving at the end of the show.Pretty sure everyone loses their license for a period. Even first time offenders.
    Makes a joke of the whole process him getiing to keep it.

8. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    This has nothing to do with Carney but I'm confused. I thought her original decision was to ban Carney from driving (amongst other things) but had to change that decision because the magistrate wasn't allowed to hand out that punishment under the law. If thats the case then what would the DPP have to appeal against? Of course I'm basing this on what I've read in the papers and it wouldn't surprise me if what's been reported has left out some telling facts.

9. Frogz

Frogz Don't mess with the goat, he has photos. Premium Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,392 / 36
    So now that he has been found guilty, does Gallop go in and give him a 4 week suspension and teh club a $100K fine

10. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    Unfortunately Frogz because everything is in the open and the actual facts are known and Todd pleaded guilty then he has been found to have a problem that the NRL is willing to assist with :)

Now if it was just based on newspaper hearsay and made up rubbish reported by the long-bearded man who lives in the park then he would have been outed for two years.

11. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,553 / 32
    If he jumps in his car pissed and kills someone the victims family can console themselves with the knowledge that he has a problem. He's a serial offender and should have lost his licence regardless of whether the NRL decided to be supportive and caring.

12. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    I hope for the NRL and for Carney, and most of all for every family on the road that he doesn't screw up and do this again, potentially killing someone.

I truly do. This is a huge injustice, he could be anyone, you, me, my postman - it doesn't matter, when you drink drive you should lose your license.

13. ayjay007

ayjay007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    I tried to put this in some perspective.Carney drove with .055 (or thereabouts).That's .55 over his limit (0).If I drove with .55 more than I was allowed (.049),my BAC would be 1.04!!I wonder how much leniency I'd be shown??

14. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    well his performance on the field is like he is still pissed