Contract inertia ‘stressful’ for Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
RESPECTED Manly captain Jamie Lyon has opened up about the Glenn Stewart drama, claiming the Sea Eagles’ playing roster is “stressed” about the ugly imbroglio.

And Lyon also expressed surprise the club had failed to table an offer to Stewart after seven-a-and-half months of negotiations.

Read More

RE: Manly captain Jamie Lyon says contract drama is stressful for Glenn Stewart and his f

Obviously the issue in play here is that Manly officials are asking the right questions about the future of the club's roster. Do we pay big bucks to those no doubt outstanding players who have helped Manly to stay near the top, but are nearing the end of their career, at the risk of being unable to compete for the next generation such as the Trbojevics, Gutherson, Hiku, Sao, Chee-Kam, the younger John Hopoate, Knight etc. Richer clubs are waiting to swoop on these kids if we dont make a realistic offer to them, even if they would prefer to stay with the Sea Eagles. Its a hard decision to make. Gutherson, Jake Trbojevic and Hiku come off contract also this year. What is Manly's position with these kids?

RE: Manly captain Jamie Lyon says contract drama is stressful for Glenn Stewart and his f

The club need to decide and move on over this. The telecrap are relishing this. They will do anything to harp on anything negative about our club. The kids are our future that has to be a priority lime it was in 2004 when we invested in players like the Stewart brothers.

The starting point must surely be what the NRL value Glenn at, as they won't register anything below it.

So we are back at the lack of recognition, by the NRL of long serving Players :dodgy:

But Manly Players' continued commentary on these negotiatons is unprofessional. :mad:

Actually I think articles like this are reasonable given the circumstances. It's common knowledge anyway, and I'm sure Perry and our board are well aware of how the players feel, though you would hope these stories could only put pressure on them to resolve this.

Has well and truly dragged on too long.
We owe Gift our best offer NOW, for everyones' sake. And again, I thought someone posted we'd locked in Jake T for 3 yrs???

Whatever the upshot of the Gift situation, I really hope we look after and keep our young guns...ESP local juniours.

RESPECTED Manly captain Jamie Lyon has opened up about the Glenn Stewart drama, claiming the Sea Eagles’ playing roster is “stressed” about the ugly imbroglio.

And Lyon also expressed surpris
66746831.jpg
e the club had failed to table an offer to Stewart after seven-a-and-half months of negotiations.

Mike Newton, Stewart’s manager, and Sea Eagles officials are due to meet sometime in the next few days for what is shaping as a final chance for Manly to re-sign their star player.

Stewart is telling friends he would be prepared to accept a pay cut to stay — but no offer looms.

Asked was the situation wearing down Stewart, Lyon said: “It probably is — and you could understand (that). It probably is a little bit stressful for him and his brother (Brett) — probably all the players, myself included.

“It is a little bit worrying that we don’t know what he is doing.”

Rumours surfaced Wednesday that Wests Tigers had shown some interest in Stewart several weeks ago but are now focused on retaining their current roster.

Aware of the flak being hurled at the club from current players and fans, the Sea Eagles board will meet on Thursday night to discuss the issue.

Asked was he surprised Manly general manager Dave Perry hadn’t made an offer, Lyon said: “Yeah, I am.

“I know how hard the salary cap is, and with the players we’ve got at the club already, it makes it hard to keep everyone.

“But, yeah, I’m pretty surprised an offer hasn’t been done yet. I don’t know all the facts to the story — I’m not going to debate it too much.

“It is probably stressful for Glenn and his family.”

Lyon is friend close of Stewart, the pair having won two premierships together at Brookvale.

“Glenn is a great mate of mine. We have been mates and played together for a number of years now,” Lyon said.

“I’m really hoping something can get sorted out. We want him at the club — he has been so important to us.

“Once we get out on the field we try not to think about outside influences.

“I don’t think it’s an influence once we get out there and hopefully something gets sorted out soon.”

Manly players are denying the Stewart situation is affecting the team.

A heavy loss though to Wests Tigers last weekend though did raise the question yet again.

Fans will be watching closely to see how Manly react in Sunday’s game against Cronulla at Brookvale.

Ironically, Stewart will return for this game from concussion.

“We have been together for a long time now, especially the two Stewart boys, Jason King, Anthony Watmough” Lyon said.

“They have been here for a long time. They have done a lot for the club and played some great footy.”

Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-captain-jamie-lyon-says-contract-drama-is-stressful-for-glenn-stewart-and-his-family/story-fni3gnk1-1226879270729

Tough situation and I don’t envy David Perry and the Board. For mine, I would pull out all stops to sign gift as I believe he is an absolutely integral part of our team and has another good 2-3 years and at least one more premiership left in him. Ben Kennedy was 31 when he came to our club and I remember the -ve reaction at the time. We all know how well Ben went and ended up in our greatest ever manly team. The NRL valuation of Gift for cap purposes is the problem and that is exactly what I would be focusing on with messrs Smith and Greenberg. The NRL has established the precedent for long serving players last year with the minichello situation and that cannot be undone and must be used as a precedent.

Seems to be 2 main ways for contract re-negotiations:

1) Get your manager to hint that you are going to another aussie club, england, union, or japanese union, or

2) Get your team mates to whine about how really, really important you are.

Does anyone think the club isn't doing their best for a good solution all round?

I sometimes wish the club was able to blurt out to the media outlets their frustrations...but they've got to keep the level head whilst players, team mates and managers can all carry on so as not to jeopardise the very negotiations that everyone is commenting on and demanding resolutions to.

Fans keep saying: "sign dce at all costs, sign foz at all costs, killer, snake, gifty....everyone at all costs"

Ok fans....now you've spent 20 million on salaries....you got that magic wand to get the club back under the salary cap?

I checked my membership....didn't say the club would fold if no gifty on board.

Didn't say it wouldn't either.

Another day another Telecrap rehash.
Tomorrow they'll ask another Manly player if they would like to retain Gift. When they run out of first graders to ask they can start on the Manly juniors. "Oh yes, Mr journalist, I grew up watching Gift play and I'd be disappointed if I didn't get the chance to play alongside him," said (insert name of talented Manly junior).
The possibilities are almost endless.

RiverEagle said:
Actually I think articles like this are reasonable given the circumstances. It's common knowledge anyway, and I'm sure Perry and our board are well aware of how the players feel, though you would hope these stories could only put pressure on them to resolve this.

Has well and truly dragged on too long.
We owe Gift our best offer NOW, for everyones' sake. And again, I thought someone posted we'd locked in Jake T for 3 yrs???

Whatever the upshot of the Gift situation, I really hope we look after and keep our young guns...ESP local juniours.

What's common knowledge? All you know is the crap you read in the paper and on this site.

And the author of this is ????

Dean Ritchie

And where does Deano get his inside knowledge from ??

None other than " The Leak"

Enough said!!!

clubs need to table an offer, glenn needs to think about it and accept or decline.

he's stated he'll take a pay cut to stay, but the NRL won't let him sign for less than market value... they probably still see him as an origin & test player? who decides what market value is?

Brookie said:
clubs need to table an offer, glenn needs to think about it and accept or decline.

he's stated he'll take a pay cut to stay, but the NRL won't let him sign for less than market value... they probably still see him as an origin & test player? who decides what market value is?

Maybe the nrl should stump up the diff between what we can pay him (re salary cap issues) and what 'they' determine is his market value.

Price fixing is illegal in Aust!!!

Actually I don't even read newspapers that much either @stevo......Sorry for having an opinion...

Anyone who thinks it's not an issue, and at the very least a distraction to the group, is delusional.

It only became a distraction once the newspapers made it one.

7 months so far and the first few weeks this year we were ok now in one week the newspapers have turned it.

globaleagle said:
Brookie said:

Maybe the nrl should stump up the diff between what we can pay him (re salary cap issues) and what 'they' determine is his market value.

Price fixing is illegal in Aust!!!

Said like a true Canadian-sympathiser- do gooder liberal hippie herb smoker. Always against The Man.

:)

Mark from Brisbane said:
And the author of this is ????

Dean Ritchie

And where does Deano get his inside knowledge from ??

None other than " The Leak"

Enough said!!!

I'd say he got a fair bit of the story from Jamie Lyon as well as he is quoted.

I'm not that bothered by the story, I don't see it different to any other club when big names are off contract.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4