Computer Guru needed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Clint

Tipping Member
Help please.
I have a new computer and was installing Micrsoft Office and Outlook.
It is the installation of outlook where I am having issues.
I have a bigpond email.
I have installed it successfully previously, but I obviously did something different this time. Doh!
I think it is on the question which exchange do you want to contect to.
I selected the Microsoft exchange, which is the 2nd option down. I have a feeling I should havee selected the top one which is Pops or something.
I have tried uninstalling the whole program and reinstalling but it doesn't ask that question anymore.
It takes me straight to a question asking about the Microsoft exchange server and mailbox - check name.
Nothing I do can take me away from this screen and when I click ok, it says cannot open default email folders and then it shuts down.
Help please... anyone...

You should be able to cancel but the application is still installed. Open up outlook and go to tools >> accounts and create a new account. You want a Pop3/smtp account.

Not sure what the Telstra mail servers are but I imagine it will be mail.bigpond.com for both the pop and smtp(outgoing)

Dan

Thanks Dan. I will give it another crack. I know the page you are talking about, but it doesn't take me there anymore. Even after I reinstalled the whole program. It still has retained some sort of memory on it, 'cause I open outlook and it takes me straight to that "microsoft exchange server" question. FIIK. It obviously requires someone with greater intelligence than I...

Just hit cancel on that question if that fails put in BS settings to get you through then when you go to tools >> accounts and delete it before adding the pop account.

If you can't get it solved I may be able to login with collaborate during business hours and sort it for you

I just had another go at it. As soon as I open outlook it says
"The connection to Microsoft exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."
So I then go ok and then it comes up with the Microsoft exchange server question and mailbox - check name.
I can't go to tools or file or edit or anything.
I then go ok again and it comes up with
Cannot open the default email folders. The file c:users\.......ost is not an outlook data file (.ost)
So I go ok - only option I have - and then it shuts down...
As I said FIIK what the G-O is...

I am online the whole time I am doing this BTW..

I'll get back to you tomorrow with more options

Clint do you have another computer with internet access.

If so check out whirlpool.com.au it's a great Aussie IT forum. If you don't want to wait for Dan sign up and ask your question there. But I would be amazed if someone else hasn't had the same problem on that forum, and you might find a solution there.

Good luck.

The site is actually whirlpool.net.au sorry.

There is a windows section under systems.

Yeah I'd agree with that. I just can't do the research or long drawn out help that is needed whilst on my phone.

I'd say you can easily find the answer through google though. Either way ill take a look sometime before coffee break in the morning

Try this.
Far top left Tab <File>
-> Options
-> Advanced
-> Find 'Send & Receive' and click S&R button
This brings up the Accounts box (same as older versions of Office)
From there you can create New or Edit accounts. Edit looks doubtful as I'm not sure you can change from MS server to POP but give it a go. New accounts might let you reset it up.
Good luck.

-Dan is right. In (POP) and Out (SMTP) is mail.bigpond.com

Can you please screenshot the page/wizard that it takes you too? (just press the "print Screen" button and then upload it here as an attachment and then I can take a look. I need to know the exact screen you are on.

Otherwise send me a PM when you are available today and if the time matches up I may be able to login to your computer for you and try to fix it

Also this may help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927481

Thanks for your feedback and help everyone.
We just had a computer tech come into work - our servers have been down all morning...:dodgy:
He told me
control panel
mail
email acccounts
new
Looks like it will work....hopefully.. I will try tonight when I get home.
Thanks again everyone. I will keep you posted.

Wow can't believe that Outlook wants to control them directly from the CP now. That seems a little dangerous to me

My issue was as soon as I went into Outlook it came up with these issues without an option to do anything about it.
He said he has had the same issue as well and this was a way around it.
Seems simple and straight forward.. Believe it when I see it though. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for all your help Dan.
I will post tonight to let you know how I went.
Cheers

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6