Complaints about refereeing always left to the losers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

weev

Bencher
But what if at the press conference a coach admitted his side got a break...

'... yer, that penally in the front of their sticks gifted us the game. There was nothing in it, Fred was falling into the tackle and he only copped a tap on the chin. He was surprised to hear the whistle too. Not a high shot in my books, Thank you ref...'

But no, the rule is to be mum anything that goes your way and the losers are left to complain and to look like whiners.

This old script will never improve the standard of refereeing.

When a coach admits that his team WON because of the refs calls then we'll see some movement. But now its the same old same old.

Possible solution:

Allow appeals.

This is how it could work, maybe limited to 2 per half, for video adjudication on penalties.

The tv audience knows the player slipped and got a tap on the chin, the player knows it, the commentators really know it ("at this stage of the game, that's harsh, really harsh" - Gus) but the ref doesn't.

Go upstairs and get a fair call, the captain can appeal it twice per half (like a tennis line call appeal). And if its a time waster the video ref can let it stand after one look, so only 10 seconds to review, unlike tries. But I don't think a team will call too many false calls cause they would squander the chance to reverse a penalty later in the game.

So we get more intrigue, better results and happier commentators :)

And it's also another wonderful opportunity for an ad break or sponsorship message.

What do you reckon?

tldr

lol

erm, I've seen a few coaches complain about ref's when they have won as it's noot seen as complaining...as they won.

appeals: i think the nfl does this.

globaleagle said:
tldr

lol

erm, I've seen a few coaches complain about ref's when they have won as it's noot seen as complaining...as they won.

I've been calling for this, "Captain's call" as I've called it, for a long time now. Before they can bring it in I want to see 2 things:

1)technology in place so that they can call forward passes accurately.

2)Game brought back to one ref controlling the game, touchies x 2 and a video ref. If the ref on the field believes its a try he calls it and the captain can then dispute this. Same if he believes it to be no try. If the ref is not sure he can send it to the video ref without the Captain having to use a one of his calls.

Jono said:
globaleagle said:
tldr

lol

I've been calling for this, "Captain's call" as I've called it, for a long time now. Before they can bring it in I want to see 2 things:

1)technology in place so that they can call forward passes accurately.

2)Game brought back to one ref controlling the game, touchies x 2 and a video ref. If the ref on the field believes its a try he calls it and the captain can then dispute this. Same if he believes it to be no try. If the ref is not sure he can send it to the video ref without the Captain having to use a one of his calls.
Good post but

The NFL has relatively good officials and there's a few a game, how many calls would our captains need to clean up all that kind of **** that our officials serve up?

Jono said:

Instead of having a Video Referee, replace him with someone who can replay the various footage angles on the big screens at the ground so that the on-field Referee can view and be responsible to make the decision.

MadMarcus said:
Good idea, but who do you appeal to whem the video ref inevitably gets it wrong?

Exactly. The video ref has caused more controversy than it has solved.
If you have to have video ref then nothing should be slowed down. Judgement has to be made at the speed the action took place.

MadMarcus said:
Good idea, but who do you appeal to whem the video ref inevitably gets it wrong?

That's why in Post #5 I suggested that instead of having a Video Referee, replace him with someone who can replay the various footage angles on the big screens at the ground so that the on-field Referee can view and be responsible to make the decision.

Jethro said:
MadMarcus said:

That's why in Post #5 I suggested that instead of having a Video Referee, replace him with someone who can replay the various footage angles on the big screens at the ground so that the on-field Referee can view and be responsible to make the decision.

Big screen? **** that give him a big tablet computer and send the replays via wifi on high definition

Big screen is awful reminds me of vga

I don't see why the coaches that win don't sometimes say, "We won, but gee the refs were terrible". It would be a refreshing change to the normal dribble. I detest him, but Brian Smith is the only one who comes close to telling it how it was.

The Eagle said:
Jethro said:
MadMarcus said:

Big screen? f**k that give him a big tablet computer and send the replays via wifi on high definition

Fair enough. I can go along with that suggestion. Either way, I just don't think that there should be a video referee (or a 2nd referee). The one on the field should be the one to make judgements on rulings so that he alone would be the one who's head is on the block :)

If there is an appeals system put in place it should be used like the Hawkeye challenges in Tennis.

You start with two challenges and you only lose one if your challenge is incorrect.

Stops teams/players using it for a break or just to disrupt play and helps alter incorrect decisions after a 'genuine' complaint by a team/player.

On another note "the eagle" there was an article not long ago by Phil Gould and I've heard him comment on it a few times on TV. There is not a single ground in the NRL that the video ref has access to the HD video/telecast stream sent out to homes around the country.

Most of the video ref boxes have the old CRT displays and those with a compatible HD monitor only receive a Standard definition feed anyway; not even in widescreen.

Its hugely surprising given the importance of the decisions to be made.

The Eagle said:
Jethro said:
MadMarcus said:

Big screen? f**k that give him a big tablet computer and send the replays via wifi on high definition

I don't know what a VGA is, but it
sounds good.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4