Commission contemplating what to do with struggling Titans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
THE new Australian Rugby League Commission is discussing the extraordinary option of letting the embattled Gold Coast die and starting from scratch with a new franchise on the south-east Queensland tourist strip.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/commission-contemplating-what-to-do-with-struggling-titans-20120321-1vkcq.html#ixzz1pmnAPb3B

redcliffe didnt allow them to use dolphins last time, cant imagine they will this time

Titans will be here for a long time to come because if they are aren't they concede the entire region to the Suns/AFL, I would think the NRL simply won't allow that to happen.

It's like the Bermuda Triangle for RL clubs that area.

I don't understand why that area struggles so much to maintain a side. Especially this latest incarnation, which has been gifted a wonderfully modern facility to play out of. Imagine how we'd be going if we were given a stadium like Skilled at Brookie.

jbb/james said:
redcliffe didnt allow them to use dolphins last time

Yep, that's the reason.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast_Titans :

"Initially the team was to be named the Gold Coast Dolphins, with the team colours to be white, jade and orange. While the Dolphins moniker was popular among many, the heavyweight Brisbane Queensland Cup side the Redcliffe Dolphins saw it as a threat for any prospect of entering the NRL they had, and as a result threatened severe legal action if the Gold Coast used the Dolphins name."

Chip and Chase said:

I don't understand why that area struggles so much to maintain a side. Especially this latest incarnation, which has been gifted a wonderfully modern facility to play out of. Imagine how we'd be going if we were given a stadium like Skilled at Brookie.

The Gold Coast Chargers actually ran at a profit before given the raw end of a deal that saw them shafted.
If the thing was fair the Sharks would have been shafted as they were in a worse finical position then the Bears and the Chargers retained.
The money that they had basically kept the Knights afloat after the SL war until Tinkler arrived.

Jethro said:
Yep, that's the reason.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast_Titans :

"Initially the team was to be named the Gold Coast Dolphins, with the team colours to be white, jade and orange. While the Dolphins moniker was popular among many, the heavyweight Brisbane Queensland Cup side the Redcliffe Dolphins saw it as a threat for any prospect of entering the NRL they had, and as a result threatened severe legal action if the Gold Coast used the Dolphins name."

I like the term, "severe legal action".....lol.

Chip and Chase said:

It's not the football club. That is going fine according to the report. What it says without the actual words is that Searle has put his money into the excellence centre and is not making money back on it and the footy club is helping it out.

DSM5 said:
Maybe their stadium can be relocated to Brookvale.

From what Ive seen since living up here, there would be no shortage of Qlders who would want to attempt to transport it mega movers style by putting it on the back of their one tonner and driving it down.

The Titans are stuffed if their debts are $35m. I have seen the Centre of excellence and I know the value of the three facilities I manage. The idiots bought and built at the height of the pre-GFC. I struggle to see how that facility could realise much more than $10m.

Expect to see a lot more angst on this one. Bligh will be counting her lucky stars she's out of government on Monday morning, since Skilled will be sitting there without a tennant.

Hope the NRL takes over the admin of the place.
Otherwise I can only see the bears being readmitted to make the 16 teams and we don't want that

I think the area needs a team, get someone involved who can run the place properly.

Maybe Clive Palmer, his policy of capping ticket sales at 5,000 shouldn't be a problem for the Titans :D :D

How many chances does the gold coast (as a region) get

What's that the 4th failed team in the past 20 years?

Just an other example of the NRL's incompetence. How come it takes an outside auditor to get to this. $35 Million? What's Schubert been doing? besides sleep. The Independent Commission should immediately commission an audit of every club so the playing field is even. Shoveling money at clubs that are clearly insolvent is just wrong. Searle should be investigated and if found to have built his own 'white shoe tower' he should be banned from the game for bringing it into disrepute.
'A Centre of Excellence'... In Queensland? Please.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6