Coaching

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Arguably the hardest job involved in professional sport.

With some recent posts, about Toovey, and news articles about other coaches, i was wondering, if anyone on here, has ever been involved, or around anyone that does this kind of work.

Just looking for peoples thoughts, on whether some of the onus should fall on players, for being slack, or lazy or just maybe not lifting for a game. Does the coach warrant all the blame?

Tooves, is new to the head coaching role, and i for one think he is doing great. He seems to have the players respect, but yet we have not really clicked. I understand injuries do not help with this and perhaps has been a main contributor to recent defensive issues.

So, if our defence is a little worse than usual, is it just a new style they are getting used too, or are the players just being lazy and Tooves is getting some of the blame?

We clicked pretty well the first 2 rounds, I guess it's a lack of depth.

Contracts negotiations/speculation through the media would also be in the back of some players' mind.

Watch us bounce back at Brookvale . We have key players coming back. Have faith in 2v . He will deliver !!!

swoop said:
We clicked pretty well the first 2 rounds, I guess it's a lack of depth.

Contracts negotiations/speculation through the media would also be in the back of some players' mind.

Yes, forgot to factor that in.

Canteen Worker has coached some teams in his time, and always come across in a balanced manner - he'd probably give you a sound indication of what it is like.

That being said, I will say I always loved Tooves as a footy player. I remember watching him make his State of Origin Debut. Such a little bloke, with such a big heart.

That being said, I have been rough on him when it comes to this season (especially in defence), and whilst I complain, I'd probably like to give him 10 more games to get a broader look.

Are we like other sports? Do we have specific coaches for specific areas?

Or most of the job fall on the head coach? Would be a very hard gig, seeing they have to keep players happy, work drills and be involved with contracts.

The majority of missed tackles have been due to piss poor attempts by the players or poor reads. I cannot blame Tooves for that. If we looked completely clueless with no defensive structure that would be different. However that does not seem to be the issue from my view, the issue is poor reads and players making soft attempts.

I just think everyone needs a bit of time.

Toovey to find his feet as the head coach, and get some rhythm going and develop his own style and approach to the game & the players and the team to adjust to his mentoring and style.

Having injuries is bringing about a lack of consistency and it has made it harder for everyone I think. I think it will all come together but not sure how soon.

It really comes down to what the role of the coach is. From my observation it is more about man management than technical ability. They have specific people for specific skills.

Take Bellamy etc for example. As much as I hate the guy he has a great ability to manage the players around him and get the best from them. Bennett is the same and dare I say it so is Des.

Ryan said:
Canteen Worker has coached some teams in his time, and always come across in a balanced manner - he'd probably give you a sound indication of what it is like.

That being said, I will say I always loved Tooves as a footy player. I remember watching him make his State of Origin Debut. Such a little bloke, with such a big heart.

That being said, I have been rough on him when it comes to this season (especially in defence), and whilst I complain, I'd probably like to give him 10 more games to get a broader look.

Wow not even a full season to judge his wares! I think just as players mature into their roles do do coaches. That is probably why there are next to none (if any at all) first season coaches that get the axe

Any coach will tell you that defending a premiership is nigh on impossible.
Every other team aims up just that bit more, maybe your team doesn't have that same hunger, etc,etc.
If an experienced coach finds it tough, what chance a rookie coach.
How many coaches take on the role of defending a premiership in their 1st year?
How would've Bellamy or Bennett gone ?
Has it happened before in the NRL?
Give Tooves a break people.

StuBoot said:
Every other team aims up just that bit more, maybe your team doesn't have that same hunger, etc,etc.

John Monie did it a Parra when Jack Gibson gave it away. Ricky Stuart took over Roosters from Gould.

A coach can tell the players what to do. A bad coach will tell you the players are not executing my instructions. Anyone can beat their chest and say do this or do that. A good coah will find a way to get the players to do what he wants.

mickqld said:
StuBoot said:

John Monie did it a Parra when Jack Gibson gave it away. Ricky Stuart took over Roosters from Gould.

Gibbo retired so Monie knew well in advance that he was taking over.
Sticky took over from Graham Murray.

Monie was in his third season as 1st grade coach before they won. Stuart's team actually hadn't won the premiership for 27 years when they broke through in 2002.

Phantar - That's what I'm getting at, it hasn't been done before.
Monie had a side in the midst of a golden era and Sticky took over a side that played in 4 GF's in 5 years ( winning only 1 ).

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6