Co Patron of Eagles set Zorba straight.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lovefooty

Reserve Grader
I see in the Manly daily Letters to the editor that co patron Kerry Sibbra has a go at the crap zorba wrote last week. Good on him but stand by Kerry as this bloke will be out after you now. We know what a narcissistic bully he is.

Sorry i dont know how to down load the story here. If someone can for those out of town can see it , that would be great.

• 3 May 2016
  • Manly Daily
Ignoring work of past
ListenTranslate
I OBJECT in the strongest terms to Peter Peters’ column (“Penn’s mightier”, MD, April 23). He wrote that the Brookvale Oval funding makeover is “a massive tribute to the perseverance” of chairman Scott Penn, Sea Eagles chief executive Joe Kelly and chief financial officer Neil Bare, who “got away from the unsuccessful efforts of the past 20 years and changed tack to heavily involve powerbrokers at federal and state levels of politics”.

Not only is this offensive to the efforts put in by many to secure funding for the upgrade of Brookvale Oval, it is incorrect.

I am happy to give credit to the efforts of the current Sea Eagles administration led by Mr Kelly to secure an additional $10 million from the State Government. However, Mr Peters not only insults Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles chief executives including Frank Stanton, Ian Thomson, Paul Cummings, Grant Mayer, Graham Lowe and David Perry, and former chair Joe Cross – but also myself, as I was involved in every bid for funding. In the period referred to by Mr Peters, $22 million had been raised for Brookvale Oval (not including the $10 million promised by (then) deputy prime minister Anthony Albanese prior to the 2013 election).

With respect to “the changed tack” to involve state and federal powerbrokers, I think even Premier Baird and former PM Tony Abbott would be surprised to read that, having received numerous representations from these chief executives and myself. This is in addition to (former) premiers Bob Carr and Morris Iemma (who gave $6.6 million in 2008), and PM Kevin Rudd and Mr Albanese, who received many direct representations.

Between 2013 and 2014 I chaired a group established by the ManlyWarringah Sea Eagles board called the Brookvale Oval Committee. This committee, which included Mr Penn, worked with Mr Baird and Mr Abbott, Warringah Council, the NRL and St Augustine’s College to progress the plans, with a Sea Eagles/NRL jointly funded feasibility study undertaken by Aver Consultants. After a year-long hiatus, the plans were updated and resubmitted to Mr Baird this year. This was done in the context of the State Government’s $1.6 billion announcement of stadiums funding, which was a direct threat to the Sea Eagles’ capacity to continue to play out of Brookvale Oval.

Representations have taken place with senior NSW and federal politicians since 1998, and years of advocacy have taken place in the lead-up to funding announcements. Kerry Sibraa, co-patron, Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

I've never heard a bad word about Kerry Sibraa from either side of politics. He is well respected everywhere. What possible motive would zorba have to ignore his massive contribution to the club over many years?

Self importance.

This lot are re-writing history. It's really weird.
I bet they wish they'd kept the leagues club now they're locked into Brookie. They could've expanded the license like Pamfers have done into country areas.

I recall a pre-match function in Melbourne 3-4 years ago where Kerry outlined all the work that had been put in on plans and funding and that the preferred option was a modest stand at the rear of the Hill which could be added to over time. This is exactly, as I understand, the upgrade that will happen at Brookie.
On'ya Kerry.

Self importance.

This lot are re-writing history. It's really weird.
I bet they wish they'd kept the leagues club now they're locked into Brookie. They could've expanded the license like Pamfers have done into country areas.
The main asset of the Leagues Club, namely the land, was shifted out to a Penn Company. My understanding is, according to previous Manly Daily reports, that it has since been on sold at a very large profit by them.

Neither the Football Club nor the Leagues Club have any more value to the MSE Franchise, as they are both community membership Organizations.

The previous plans to Council includes a Club Facility space. Only problem is that the proposed building will be owned by a Penn Company, on Council owned land and the Leagues Club will be paying rental to this Company. No value going back to the LC Members.:(

We will continue to uphold as much of our Community Asset and history as is possible through our membership to to MWDRL Football Club.

$25 buys you 70 Years of History :inlove:
http://membership.manlyfootballclub.com.au/

Dear Member

The Board of the Manly-Warringah Rugby League Football Club welcomes Premier Mike Baird’s decision to allocate $10 million towards the upgrade of Brookvale Oval. This is in addition to the existing $10 million commitment made by former Prime Minister Tony Abbott back in 2013. Further, the Board sincerely hopes Mr Abbott will be able to persuade the federal government to allocate further funding which according to Premier Baird’s commitment will be matched by the NSW government.

The Board however rejects attempts to rewrite history with respect to the long history of funding for Brookvale Oval.

In the Manly Daily of Saturday 23 April, Peter Peters, included a piece in his weekly column about funding for Brookvale Oval. The article contained many mistruths and inaccuracies. Club Co-Patron and Football Club Life Member Kerry Sibraa who has been associated with the raising of $22 million for Brookvale Oval over an 18-year period wrote the following response which we felt our members should also have the opportunity to read.

I write to object in the very strongest terms to the article written by Peter Peters in his weekly column in today’s Manly Daily.

Under the heading “Penn’s mightier” he writes:

“The recent news that funding is available to start stage one of the Brookvale Oval makeover is a massive salute to the perseverance of the chairman Scott Penn, Sea Eagles chief executive Joe Kelly and chief financial officer Neil Bare.

They got away from the unsuccessful efforts of the past 20 years and changed tack to heavily involve powerbrokers at federal and state levels of politics.”

Not only is this offensive to the efforts put in by many over the years to secure funding for the upgrade of Brookvale Oval, but it is entirely untrue.

I am happy to give credit and praise to the recent efforts of the current Sea Eagles administration led by Joe Kelly to secure an additional $10 million from the State Government – as well of course, thanks to the Premier, Mike Baird for providing the much needed funding.

However, Mr Peters not only insults a range of distinguished Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles CEOs who have served the Club during the 20-year period he mentions, but also myself, as I have been involved in every bid for funding with them over that time. The CEOs he denigrates includes Frank Stanton, Ian Thomson, Paul Cummings, Grant Mayer, Graham Lowe, David Perry and former Chair Joe Cross.

Clearly Mr Peters fails to recollect the Lifetime Achievement Award presented to myself at the Annual Awards night in 2008 by Chairman Scott Penn for my efforts in securing funding for Brookvale Oval.

In the 20-year period referred to by Mr Peters, prior to Premier Baird’s recent announcement of $10 million in funding, a total of $22 million had been raised for Brookvale Oval (not including the $10 million promised by Deputy Prime Minister Albanese prior to the 2013 election).

With respect to “the changing of tack” to heavily involve State and Federal powerbrokers, I would think even Premier Baird and former Prime Minister Abbott would be surprised to read that, having received numerous representations from these CEOs and myself over a long period. This is in addition to former Premiers Carr and Iemma (who gave $6.6 million to the Club in 2008), and former Prime Minister Rudd and Deputy Prime Minister Anthony Albanese (who had already pledged $10 million prior to Tony Abbott’s $10 million) who also received many direct representations in the past.

Between 2013 and 2014 I chaired a group established by the Board of the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles called the Brookvale Oval Committee. This Committee, which included Chairman Scott Penn, worked with neighbouring St Augustine’s College to draw up plans for Brookvale Oval to be able to submit to Mr Baird and Mr Abbott (paid for by St Augustine’s). The Committee then worked closely with both Mr Baird and Mr Abbott, Warringah Council and the NRL to progress the plans with a Sea Eagles/NRL jointly funded feasibility study undertaken by Aver Consultants. After a year-long hiatus where other plans involving a private development around Brookvale Oval came and went, the St Augustine’s/Aver plans were updated and resubmitted to Premier Baird early this year. This was done in the context of announcements of the State Government’s $1.6 billion announcement of stadia funding, which was a direct threat to the Sea Eagles’ capacity to continue to play out of Brookvale Oval.

I have attached a table that reflects some (but by no means all) of the representations that have taken place with senior NSW and Federal politicians since 1998. As the table reflects, years of advocacy have taken place in the lead up to significant funding announcements.

I am therefore disappointed the Manly Daily would allow an article of such personal bias, conflict of interest and misrepresentation of fact to be published unchecked.

Hon Kerry Sibraa AO
Co-Patron
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

History of fundraising for Brookvale Oval since 1998.

Politician or representative

Year

Funding

Comment/Outcome

Special Minister of State & Minister for the Central Coast, John Della Bosca MLC

Presented a $9 million proposal for a total upgrade of Brookvale Oval

Premier Bob Carr

Presented a $9 million proposal for a total upgrade of Brookvale Oval

NSW Minister for Planning Craig Knowles

Sought advice as to ways of securing funding for Brookvale Oval

NSW Minister for Sport, Morris Iemma

$300,000

Scoreboard and seating to be matched by Warringah Council

Warringah Council

$300,000

Scoreboard and seating as above

Federal Member for Warringah, Tony Abbott

$1,000,000

Television standard lights

NSW Sports Minister, Graeme West

$170,000

New turnstiles

NSW Treasurer, Michael Costa

Presented a $20 million proposal for upgrading Brookvale Oval (4:6:10 million split between local, State and Federal governments)

NSW Premier Morris Iemma

2007 & 2008

$6,600,000

Extension of Jane Try stand and other facilities

Warringah Council Administrator, Dick Persson

$4,000,000

Extension of Jane Try stand and other facilities (as above)

Shadow Federal Sports Minister, Senator Kate Lundy

Lobbying for Federal Government funds to provide $10-15 million to upgrade Brookvale Oval as above

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd

Lobbying for Federal Government funds to provide $10-15 million to upgrade Brookvale Oval as above

Federal Treasurer, Wayne Swan

Federal Sports Minister, Kate Ellis

Federal Sports Minister Senator Mark Arbib

Deputy Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese

$10,000,000

Announced funding for new eastern hill stand if elected

Opposition Leader/Prime Minister Tony Abbott

$10,000,000

Announced funding for new eastern hill stand if elected

NSW Sports Minister Gabrielle Upton

Lobbying for State Government funds to match Federal funding to upgrade Brookvale Oval

Premier Mike Baird

2012 onwards

Lobbying for State Government funds to match Federal funding to upgrade Brookvale Oval.

Also, when Treasurer, Chairing Brookvale Oval Committee Roundtables involving Prime Minister’s office, Warringah Council and NRL.

NSW Sports Minister, Stuart Ayres

Lobbying for State Government funds to match Federal funding to upgrade Brookvale Oval

Federal Member for Mackellar, Bronwyn Bishop

Ongoing

Meetings held at various times

Member for Wakehurst, Brad Hazzard

Ongoing

Meetings held at various times

Total funding announced prior to 15 April 2016

$32,370,000

(includes Albanese $10m pledge)

It will be interesting to see how Zorba responds to Sibraa's letter.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6