Club North Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Manly Leagues merger prompts poker machine concerns at Club North Manly site
  • STEVEN DEARE
  • MANLY DAILY
  • JUNE 02, 2015 4:51PM

A “TAJ  MAHAL”-style venue packed with poker machines could be in store for North Manly according to a councillor, triggering concerns over problem gambling.

A proposed Club North Manly merger with Manly Leagues has raised the prospect of the latter moving its poker machines to the bowling club on Pittwater Rd.
http://www.clubnorthmanly.com.au/contact-us/

Warringah councillor Pat Daly said introducing more machines would be detrimental to the community in light of plans to make District Park a premier sporting venue.

“With hundreds of young people using this area and it planned to be a sporting hub, if we have a big increase in poker machines it’s not going to be helpful to the community and will expose a lot of young people to poker machines,” Cr Daly said.

The council leases the bowling site to Club North Manly. Councillors have voted to ask the two clubs about their merger plans.

story-fngr8hax-1227380022971

However Manly Leagues chairman Ian Thomson told the Daily the proposed merger was in its early stages.

If successful, the club could transfer its poker machines as allowed under state regulations, Mr Thomson said.

“If they (councillors) have concerns, they should take it up with the NSW Government because we’re bound by the rules they impose,” Mr Thomson said.

The leagues club hopes to remain at Brookvale and have a second venue at North Manly.

There are currently 12 poker machines at Club North Manly while Manly Leagues has 200.

The council has proposed a $6 million clubhouse be shared by a range of sporting groups at the bowling site as part of its draft District Park Plan of Management.

Club North Manly, which has suffered financially, has chosen Manly Leagues as its preferred amalgamation partner.

Councillors Daley and Vincent De Luca raised concerns Manly Leagues Club could install more machines at the council’s venue.

“We don’t want a Taj Mahal of poker machines here,” Cr Daley said.

While all councillors voted to seek more information on the merger, some said the poker machine concerns were premature.

Mayor Michael Regan said to Cr Daley: “I think you’re jumping at shadows.”

Cr Sue Heins said: “I think we’re jumping the gun. This (plan of management) is a discussion about a geographic plan where down the track we get more specific.”

Club North Manly secretary Paul Campbell declined to comment when contacted by the Manly Daily.
===================================
Interesting as the DY RSL was the preferred relocation site for the Leagues Club

Gee... young people exposed to poker machines! What a worry, especially when every minute of a sporting event you are bombarded with betting odds and so called 'cash-back' incentives.
With drugs, youth suicide, domestic violence, unemployment etc. I think "young people" have a lot more to worry about than poker machines.

Why is the council even bothering to comment on this? I suggest they work on things that they actually have responsibility for, such as brookie oval.

The council seems to have a lot of revenue raising facilities being rented out, where are they spending the money?

I don't know anythiong about the politics of Warringah but the De Luca sounds like he doesn't like us very much. His name is always associated with negative crap about Manly.

Why is the council even bothering to comment on this? I suggest they work on things that they actually have responsibility for, such as brookie oval.

The councils should simply look after the three R's. Rates, Roads and Rubbish and leave the businesses to get on with their jobs and create more jobs in the local areas. Too many levels of government are sticking their noses in places they do not belong.

That De Luca is the most Anti-Manly person in the council, who only got voted in by lying about being a pro-Manly fan way back when he first started out.

this income stream for the future could be massive for the sea eagles. a thriving leagues club would be a fantastic asset. think of all of the extra $$$$$$ that we could generate to the clubs benefit

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8