Club’s darkest hour -Zorba

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Club’s darkest hour

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/zorbas-view-3/

THERE can be no sugar-coating in this column.

This is the darkest time in the history of the mighty Sea Eagles.

The club has reached absolute rock bottom when club legends are attacking the character of a man who has played in or coached the club to four of the club’s eight premierships.

The Sea Eagles have never been a club to act in anything but a dignified manner towards its champions but that has all changed since Manly lifted the NRL trophy aloft on the first Sunday of last month.

Passion has taken over from common sense and there will be no winners in this tragic mess.

There can be no doubt the biggest losers are the fans.

In my first week back on the peninsula since an overseas holiday, a feeling remains of total bewilderment in the community. They are confused and divided.

And they are angry that what should have been a summer of celebration has turned into a nightmare.

The talk in every coffee shop, hotel or club bar is about the imploding of the club and where to proportion the blame.

It simply has to stop.

The exit of Des Hasler has to be used as the club’s darkest time and a reminder that something similar cannot be allowed to happen again.

Hasler rebuilt the Sea Eagles from a basket case on a shoestring budget to a juggernaut and benchmark.

In that time he was the powerhouse in charge that the club needed to claw its way back. Desie did it his way. It was the only way success could have come back to Brookvale.

Sure he trod on toes and didn’t care who he upset. I have had more arguments with Des than anyone. But I haven’t seen a more hard working, professional coach who could dissect the opposition like a surgeon.

He was a father figure to his players and fiercely loyal. Like I learned a few months ago, if you make enemies in a football club there is always a bullet with your name on it.

I accept that with no hard feelings and Dessie in time will too.

Some of my closest mates have thrown some low blows Dessie’s way in recent days, that is their right.

I won’t be doing that. I have been through too many battles with him. I have been beside him at hospitals, police stations, court houses and judiciary hearings making sure players got professional support and advice.

Des, thank you on behalf of the majority of people on the peninsula. You gave it everything you had every day you went to work. You were always first at work and last to leave.

You are a legend of a great club which will rise again.

You stood by Brett Stewart because you knew he wasn’t guilty of a charge laid against him.

The only thing you are guilty of is that you won’t give an inch. It is your greatest asset and sometimes your greatest weakness. It may not seem possible now but I don’t think Manly has seen the last of Des Hasler.

I’m on board

I should know better but I will take my position on the board of the Manly Football Club because I owe it to the supporters who asked me to be their voice in the wilderness.

It’s high-time voting in factions ceased and decisions were made on what is best for the club. And it is also time that people were elected to positions not put in place to be trick ponies. I believe only people representing the Football Club board should be eligible to represent the club on the Sea Eagles board.

And as a member of the Manly Leagues Club board, I want to ensure that someone with knowledge of the game is the board’s representative on the Sea Eagles to ensure the relationship between the licensed club and the Sea Eagles remains strong.

Horror draw

THE start of the 2012 season is a horror stretch for Manly, with no matches at Brookvale for the opening five rounds.

Hmmm!!! Great, a battle has been lost but Zorba wants to go to war!!

2012 will be a long year for the Manly administration. Let's hope the boys are able to focus on the field.

It's always darkest before the dawn.... and the sun will come up tomorrow as the dawning of a new era at the Sea Eagles.

In Tooves we Trust!

Sounds like Zorba has shifted back towards Manly and not so much Des, Its funny that I think he has he realised that the club was gooorne if this hole infighting crap was left to go on. It also seems like Scott Penn has changed his tune a bit too. He was very critical of the way Des handled his negotiations so it shows that he might not be at total loggerheads with the board like the DT keeps saying. Things are starting to feel good again. I hope the players are all on board and things get going properly again. By the way I was so impressed with Geoff Toovey at that press conference. You can tell he hates the Dogs with a passion and I get the feeling he blames them for all the crap that Des is in. He was so well spoken and to the point, which is a breath of fresh air unlike Des was.
Scott Penn was strong and solid too and remarkably honest about it all. I reckon Des signed during the year thats why he knocked Penrif back.

It's a ****storm at the moment, but I believe things will settle down now that Des is gone. One thing the last few weeks has highlighted is that the fans, the players and everyone invloved with the club are by far the most passionate of any club in the comp.

The media are having a filed day as they know how much passion there is, and it is stirring everyone up.

If Zorba had not carried on like a prima donna at the thought that he might not - at the age of 66 - be the right person to carry on media duties for club next year and beyond, then who knows? Maybe things never would have gone this far.

I've always been a big (though not unconditional) fan of Zorba's, but his ego has played a part in the debacle.

Darkest hour? Serious? Because the coach left and took some staff with him? WHO CARES YA GOOSE - We're still the MANLY SEA EAGLES - the darkest hour was when we had to merge with the now (thank god) extinct bears.

Pretty good article actually IMO - reading between the lines it looks like Zorba is aiming for a Mel Gainsford spot on the MWSE board.

STFU you whinging prick. If you hadn't been so precious some of these things would not have happened. Des and some of the individials who left said the reason that made them go was because you were terminated.

So Penn couldn't find the money to pay Hasler but managed to find an entire years salary to ensure uncle Zorba was looked after following his dismissal?

By the sound of the article this won't be over by a long shot.

I will go on record and state :

1. Des will have success at the scumdogs no matter how much it breaks my heart.

2. Sometime in the distant future Des may return is some capacity with the club, maybe even as CEO.

3. The main culprits of this debacle (whoever they may be) will hopefully disappear into the abysses for their names never to be mentioned in association with this great club.

Like Zorba or not, it is a good article. A month ago Des was a hero. Zorba sums up the man appropriately but also looks forward positively. I agree with what he is saying about the board. Should we have puppets on the MWSE board or not?

Very sad day for the club when a hero and champion gets the shove!!

Zorba's self serving media releases never ceases to amaze me. The past Legends of Manly can not all be wrong about Des's attitude towards the Club. I've never seen Igor make a comment against the actions of anyone, it was telling! And the Bombthrower did NOT miss with his volley. :cool:

Zorba seems to be too obtuse to have picked up that the sustained attacks of the Board was one of the reasons for Des' Contract cancellation. He better get his diatribes checked prior to publishing in future. Interesting that Des did not headhunt Zorba :p

The clouds parted at 12pm on Friday, 11 November 2011 and Manly is well on track for 2V-B2B :heart:

HappilyManly said:
Zorba's self serving media releases never ceases to amaze me. The past Legends of Manly can not all be wrong about Des's attitude towards the Club. I've never seen Igor make a comment against the actions of anyone, it was telling! And the Bombthrower did NOT miss with his volley. :cool:

Zorba seems to be too obtuse to have picked up that the sustained attacks of the Board was one of the reasons for Des' Contract cancellation. He better get his diatribes checked prior to publishing in future. Interesting that Des did not headhunt Zorba :p

The clouds parted at 12pm on Friday, 11 November 2011 and Manly is well on track for 2V-B2B :heart:

What did Randall say that was anti-Des?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6