Masked Eagle

Bencher
Is it true Cliffy has lost his job and won't be involved in coaching the Sea Eagles in any capacity next year? Sad if true.

Masked Eagle said:
Is it true Cliffy has lost his job and won't be involved in coaching the Sea Eagles in any capacity next year? Sad if true.

I think he quit. I don't think he was sacked.

bones said:
Masked Eagle said:

I think he quit. I don't think he was sacked.

Ok, I suppose the way I heard the information I just assumed it wasn't his call. I suppose its still sad someone who loves the club as much as he does, has felt the situation doesn't suit him. Could have a thousand guesses to why and they could all be wrong.

Good luck to Cliffy and hope he'll be back.

Youd hope the club would make an official announcement before the Telecr@p are all over it

He should be the clubs indigenous ambassador. Our club has a rich history of indigenous players who have excelled and won premierships
Lyons
Shearer
Cochrane
Ron Gibbs
George Rose

Stevo said:
Maybe he just wasn't allowed to smoke in Brookvale Oval.

Well...you would imagine the club would invest a few dollars into some sort of portable smoke extraction unit that Cliffy could wear on his back, that has a long chimney/snorkel type set up made of an extremely light weight material that could release exhaled smoke up to say....40ft into the air. A sort of mini "cone of silence", with a snorkel for the great man.

For an ex-player of such esteem...is it really that much to ask??

I remember many, many years ago seeing Cliffy at a petrol station on Pittwater Road filling up his car with petrol while smoking a ciggy.

Mals said:
I remember many, many years ago seeing Cliffy at a petrol station on Pittwater Road filling up his car with petrol while smoking a ciggy.

I don't believe you unless he was also drinking a stubbie at the time.

Ah Cliffy. I was hoping that with A. Johns, he may offer his genius to the next generation. But then he was such a natural I think half the time he didnt know what his next move was. I've been watching Manly since 1967 and there are a couple of players who always stood out for me. Fulton, Johnnie Gibbs, Reilly, Eadie, Menzies just to name a few of my favourites. But for me only Fulton matched for appeal the sheer genius of Cliffy. I see a lot of Cliffy in Cooper's unorthodox style for the Reds, and he is facing the same problems at representative levels. If you dont have a coach who understands and utilises this unique skill, it makes it all seem disjointed. Fortunately we had a few coaches at Manly who understood Cliffy's brilliance and we won premierships as a result. I personally miss your game Cliff, but I'm happy I got to watch you mesmerise opposition and help Menzies become such a champion forward.:D

Does anyone have a highlights package of the Lyons/Menzies combo, would love to watch that, one of the best combinations that game has seen.

I can remember some of the gaping holes Cliffy created for the Beaver :)

Some clips from that era:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBCD31CA226F9E624

MANLY legend Cliff Lyons retired almost 15 years ago, but he was still carving it up at the State Cup over the weekend.

Playing in the men’s 45s division, Lyons set up numerous tries in an 11-2 win over the Manly B team.

http://www.portnews.com.au/story/1174500/rugby-league-royalty-still-stepping-up/?cs=258

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2