Cliffy says sign Barrett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Pivotal decision for Manly

Jason Avedissian
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/04/19/9759_sports.html
19 April 2008

GIFTED former Manly five-eighth Cliff Lyons believes the Sea Eagles would be "mad" not to pursue ex-Dragons pivot Trent Barrett  who is desperate to return to the NRL to complete his career.

It is widely understood Barrett is eyeing a return to the NRL despite being contracted to Wigan for another season.

Lyons said Barrett would be the perfect acquisition for the Sea Eagles who are on the search for a quality pivot.

"They would be mad if they didn't," Lyons said when asked if Manly should pursue Barrett.

"He's a quality player. He's got good vision, speed and strength. He's highly experienced at representative level and would be a good signing."

It is understood Barrett is not happy at Wigan and desperately wants to return to the NRL.

"He definitely wants to come back," a highly influential figure within the game said yesterday. "He definitely wants out of Wigan."

Manly boss Grant Mayer said it would be difficult to squeeze Barrett under the salary cap.

"He's a terrific player," Mayer said ahead of last night's Sea Eagles round six clash with the Eels at Parramatta Stadium.

"It would be a fantastic world if there was no salary cap. Unfortunately we can't sign every player on the open market."

Mayer then suggested the lure of overseas deals was no longer a strong appeal for NRL players.
"Perhaps the pull of the UK Super League isn't so attractive any more," he said. "Which means, players like Trent Barrett may cut short or totally forego opportunities in the UK, which simply means NRL clubs like Manly will benefit." It is believed the Bulldogs and Dragons lead the race for Barrett.

In other league news, off contract Sea Eagles Steven Bell and Matt Ballin are in early discussions with Manly management about their futures at the club.

Bell has received interest from three clubs in Europe but is extremely content with life on the northern beaches.
Mayer said discussions with all off-contract players are progressing.
"It's early days but I'm sure we'll be meeting with all the agents about their clients in the near future," he said.

Punt Bell, Sign Ballin and if you have $400,000 for Toupo why don't we have the coin for Barrett? They would compliment each other, I have no doubt if Barrett was with us this year you would find Orford playing State of Origin

I think go for barrett too, he would add what we need

Unless i'm missing something, have to agree with Stiffi.  Seems perfectly logical to punt Bell and sign Barrett.  If we miss out on Tupou, then thats too bad.  We need a decent 5/8th not cover for the back row.

I don't know about Barrett, he had plenty of opportunity at Dragons and never delivered a premiership despite them having a pretty good roster for a few years there. Had a bit of the "choke in big match" smell about him IMO.

Plus what is he now, 30 + ? Not really a long term prospect is he. You'd get a couple of seasons out of him at best, and I really think he'd be past his best now.

He'd want good coin too I'd imagine, so I'd rather see that spent on younger talent. But if we could arrange a straight trade for Bell then I'd be all over it.

Meyer says Bell is 'extremely content' on the Northern Beaches.  That''s the reason for his lacklustre form.  Life is way to comfortable.  Hasler should put him in the park to make life a little less comfortable and we might just see some hunger back in his game.  Barrett's a tad to old, but has a footie brain.  Maybe sign him for a year to see how he goes.  We don't need another backrower, even with Menzies going we're good in that area. 

I would love to see him here, he almost signed with Manly once before, many moons ago when Bozo was coaching, I'll be shocked if it happens though.

I think this is beavers last year. Let Bell go to a new club and if we have $400,000 to offer tupou, then with those two out of the picture we should have the chash to get him. We are desparate for a 5/8th and how many are available?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7