Cliffy on the outer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
Looks like he wont be nsw cup coach next year.Suggestion Willow going back to coach them.

Source Tele(cliffy not being coach is probably true. I heard the rumour a month ago)

What a shame :-(

Both Cliffy and Willow have had two shocking years results wise, dangling at the foot of their respective tables.

I STILL believe we should just get rid of reggies and our junior grades, and have that affiliation with the Sunshine Coast.

Waste of time, resourses & effort as it stands to be honest.

Ryan said:
Both Cliffy and Willow have had two shocking years results wise, dangling at the foot of their respective tables.

I STILL believe we should just get rid of reggies and our junior grades, and have that affiliation with the Sunshine Coast.

Getting rid of Reggies for an affiliation in QLD I can understand but why would you get rid of the junior grades??

Ryan said:

The NRL forced Manly into having a NSW Cup side. If not,then no Junior Teams could be registered:mad:

Mals said:
Ryan said:

Getting rid of Reggies for an affiliation in QLD I can understand but why would you get rid of the junior grades??

Disagree. Sending our gun juniors like trbo and gutherson out of state would mean they would be playing for qld in future. Also young guys want to represent their district. If a talented high school kid had to leave school and his family to play for sunny coast, the most likely result would be he'd stay home and play for the tigers or easts instead. Having our adult fringe 1st graders playing for qld cup or Nsw cup doesn't bother me, but I think it is important to have the younger ones closer to home.

EagleRock40 said:
He won't be coaching NSW cup because he'll be Tooves assistant with Matt Parish moving to Parra.

Apparently Tooves was on the Big Sports Breakfast yesterday and said he wasn't a career coach.
Where have I heard that before?

If we want to be a real "bred not bought" club, we have to keep our lower grades within the structures of the club. They have to be part of the system. The Q cup thing is just a myth to make Queenslanders feel better about selling out their real clubs to support the Broncos.
Only three teams worth of potential first graders play in the Q cup, the rest are in reggies. That's the obvious logic.
Keep locals local. If NSW cup is so weak, why is it such a challenge for our lads? There's some pretty good players in that team but the competition was too strong.
As Shoe said, we don't want to lose local juniors to other Sydney teams because we'd have to ship them off a thousand k's away.
Worst idea ever. The Sunny Coast thing was done for financial reasons only. With an upturn in the finances of both the club and the game as a whole there is no need for it. We need to be building this club into a production line in order to maintain our success.

Our NSW and Toyota Cup sides both performed poorly this year. So why would Willo go back to NSW Cup...he hasnt done much special either.
I agree though that Cliffy will be assistant to 2V.

Duff said:
If we want to be a real "bred not bought" club, we have to keep our lower grades within the structures of the club. They have to be part of the system. The Q cup thing is just a myth to make Queenslanders feel better about selling out their real clubs to support the Broncos.
Only three teams worth of potential first graders play in the Q cup, the rest are in reggies. That's the obvious logic.
Keep locals local. If NSW cup is so weak, why is it such a challenge for our lads? There's some pretty good players in that team but the competition was too strong.
As Shoe said, we don't want to lose local juniors to other Sydney teams because we'd have to ship them off a thousand k's away.
Worst idea ever. The Sunny Coast thing was done for financial reasons only. With an upturn in the finances of both the club and the game as a whole there is no need for it. We need to be building this club into a production line in order to maintain our success.

How do you think our current NSW cup side would go in the Qld cup? Do you think it would be a casual stroll to the grand final? How many of our current NRL side were in that Sunshine Coast team? I don't get to watch the NSW cup side, but it seems that we are weak. Honestly, the big myth, or dream is that there will ever be a club made up of born and raised juniors. It will never happen. There will always be imports and exports due to cash restraints, greedy managers etc.
Melbourne draw heavily on the Qld cup, Tim Glasby from the Capras has signed with them for a couple of years recently. I'm not pig headed or arrogant enough to say one comp is better than the other, but if it was at all possible, i'd want a side back in Qld.

mozgrame said:
Duff said:

How do you think our current NSW cup side would go in the Qld cup? Do you think it would be a casual stroll to the grand final? How many of our current NRL side were in that Sunshine Coast team? I don't get to watch the NSW cup side, but it seems that we are weak. Honestly, the big myth, or dream is that there will ever be a club made up of born and raised juniors. It will never happen. There will always be imports and exports due to cash restraints, greedy managers etc.
Melbourne draw heavily on the Qld cup, Tim Glasby from the Capras has signed with them for a couple of years recently. I'm not pig headed or arrogant enough to say one comp is better than the other, but if it was at all possible, i'd want a side back in Qld.

It's not about being 100% locals. It's about keeping what you can and builing a club on that foundation.
So if Melbs draw on Q cup it's three and a half teams with a presence there. They still have a halfy with the Sharks, remember.
It's such a logistical nightmare to have the club split by so much.
If you aren't saying one is better than the other, why would you take the more difficult, less unifying option?
I think our team would do better than the Sunny Coast did this year.
Our 20's started to come good once the young blokes stepped up as well. We don't want to lose these kids by making things too hard for them to continue. They need to be able to see a direct path from junior reps to 20's to reggies then firsts. Disappearing up to bumfeck nowhere for a couple of seasons can't be all that inspiring.

Duff said:

Worst idea "ever". You need to broaden your horizon's if that's the case champion.

From the last couple of years, players like DCE, Hodkinson, Lussick, T Williams plied their trade in QLD, and in my point of view, came out better players for it.

Sitting & playing in teams that have a -292 point differential (NYC) and 3rd last, and -368 point differential (Reggies), and second last, after horrific seasons the year before isn't about development.

Historically, guys like Lussick, DCE, Foran, Buhrer & co. have come from a winning culture (yes, Manly's NYC, but also the QLD Cup). These kids know how to, and expect to win.

The guys coming through at present know how to lose, and know how to lose EXTREMELY well, and I'd expect nominal impact comparitively speaking to 3-4 years prior, with those exceptional kids like Foran blossoming.

Sorry mate, respect your opinion and what you say, but have to disagree with you on this one. Des, and his support staff (Toovey included) built a "club" culture around winning.

We are a basket case in the lower grades at present.

The QLD Cup would give us a different sense than that. We could at least field teams that are competitive, and engrain a sense of winning, as upposed to surviving. Manly, the club as a whole, is better than this.

But Ryan, Lower grades are in a constant fluid state. We happened to have a good batch at the time we went to Q cup. As you said, they were winners at Brookvale before they got shoved up there for a stint and then had to come back again.
We have a less successful batch now, with a few exceptions. If we keep the good ones and bring in a few more young guns in each age group, the squad will build on itself. Some will go to other clubs, some will go to first grade at Manly. The comp we're in shouldn't matter. If we had no competition in NSW, maybe we'd want to look elsewhere but I think there's plenty of better opposition down here for the guys to worry about before they can feel unchallenged.
You can't credit the Q cup for making our T cup lads minor premiers retrospectively. Thank the recruitment and development team at Manly for our killer batch.

Duff said:
mozgrame said:
Duff said:

It's not about being 100% locals. It's about keeping what you can and builing a club on that foundation.
So if Melbs draw on Q cup it's three and a half teams with a presence there. They still have a halfy with the Sharks, remember.
It's such a logistical nightmare to have the club split by so much.
If you aren't saying one is better than the other, why would you take the more difficult, less unifying option?
I think our team would do better than the Sunny Coast did this year.
Our 20's started to come good once the young blokes stepped up as well. We don't want to lose these kids by making things too hard for them to continue. They need to be able to see a direct path from junior reps to 20's to reggies then firsts. Disappearing up to bumfeck nowhere for a couple of seasons can't be all that inspiring.

Mate, i'm still not sold on the current set up. I do respect your opinion and am not trying to convince you of anything but, the Sunshine Coast is hardly bumfeck nowhere. The fact there are 3.5 teams with a presense around the Q cup wasn't really my point. How many clubs get to view our young guys in Sydney? More than 3.5 surely.
Melbourne are a strong outfit and they bring a few players through from Q cup because they're good tough competitors. I fully agree the logistics must be trying, but the rewards speak for themselves.
If the competition in Q cup is weaker, and we could dominate that competition, then the unification bought on by installing a winning culture would be the ultimate reward. I am sure that Manly juniors would relish the chance to play Qld sides, and win premierships in Qld before moving on to the NRL.

I don't think our financial situation allowed us to bolster the lower grades but it looks like things are turning around with some of the new signings.

Don't forget we also had to virtualy start from scratch when we were forced to field a NSW cup side. It will probably take a year or two to rebuild the lower grades.

bones said:
EagleRock40 said:
He won't be coaching NSW cup because he'll be Tooves assistant with Matt Parish moving to Parra.

Apparently Tooves was on the Big Sports Breakfast yesterday and said he wasn't a career coach.
Where have I heard that before?

I believe the plan with Toovey (and has been for a long time) is for him to have a stint as coach before moving into club administration. Like a latter-day Ken Arthurson.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2