Clean out and recruitment

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Our youngstars are looking good. Bainbridge will be our future second rower, he plays exactly like frizell. Ramien is good and very strong with a great fend. Cust is a really good half and was named in 18 origin being a year young coming off the bench. I may be biased because he came to my high school last year in manly. But mover in year 12 to a closer school.

A lot of 20s kids there .don't know what you have seen in j. Walker and t wright so far cust got a very ordinary kicking game, ramien needs to learn to pass to be first grade centre the two I like in 20s are cox and Bainbridge both solid workers.went to canberra the other day parker was well outclassed by is opposite in 17 year old Nic cotric . Liam knight should be playing second row but I have seen him play reserves and he lacks discipline giving away silly penalties early in games.
you dont pay overs on reserves, i doubt tom wright, cade cust and brad parker will be needed at all as we have koroisau, williame for backup but ramien probably will be with that squad. Would rather give a few reserves a go and buy a few quality players than spend money on reserves from other clubs who will play one or two games. Also j.walker won't be needed at all, jut in there for experience as he might in a few years time. got lussick, cox, meehan bainbridge and kelly who can all backup by next year. Lussick is better than a backup but that means we have a good bench.

Last edited:
I'm with a number of you guys. Manly is not going to be a contender this year, unless there is a miraculous turn around and we'll even be lucky to make the 8. Its time to look and plan for next year.

First step is identify in the lower grades those players who seem to have the goods. Then, but not all at once, give them a taste of the Majors for a few games to let them have an idea of what they need to do to their game. I would bring Knight in on the bench for the rest of the year to acclimatise him. He'll make silly mistakes but better to address them at first grade level now than wait. He's served his apprenticeship. Try out Cust once or twice against the lesser performing clubs. Give Ramien, Pratt and Bainbridge a couple of games. After he's played a few more games in the U20s (he's only played 2 or 3 I think) I'd give Tom Wright a taste on the wing before the season's end.

I'd also make a big play that may be hotly disagreed with. I would recontract Jamil Hopoate, who is killing them in minor competition. He'll be needed next year.Before he went to serve his time, he was one of the best lower grade forwards we had, if not the best. We've forgiven others in the team for past crimes. Time to forgive young Jamil and bring him back into the fold.

Thing is the team we have look stagnant. It needs life, enthusiasm, and where better to get it but from the kids wanting to prove their worth. We may even win a few more games than we expect. But I would be now aiming to separate the chaff from the grain for next year so they know who to sign up and who to let go. It will also define what positions need boosting and 5/8 is certainly the No 1 priority.

Unless we really go sour we wont be wooden spooners, so what have we to lose by starting major experiments.

Last edited:
I'm with a number of you guys. Manly is not going to be a contender this year, unless there is a miraculous turn around and we'll even be lucky to make the 8. Its time to look and plan for next year.

First step is identify in the lower grades those players who seem to have the goods. Then, but not all at once, give them a taste of the Majors to let them have an idea of what they need to do to their game. I would bring Knight in on the bench for the rest of the year to acclimatise him. He'll make silly mistakes but better to address them at first grade level now than wait. He's served his apprenticeship. Try out Cust once or twice against the lesser performing clubs. Give Ramien, Pratt and Bainbridge a couple of games. After he's played a few more games in the U20s (he's only played 2 or 3 I think) I'd give Tom Wright a taste on the wing before the season's end.

Thing is the team we have look stagnant. It needs life, enthusiasm, and where better to get it but from the kids wanting to prove their worth. We may even win a few more games than we expect. But I would be now aiming to separate the chaff from the grain for next year so they know who to sign up and who to let go. It will also define what positions need boosting and 5/8 is certainly the No 1 priority.

Unless we really go sour we wont be wooden spooners, so what have we to lose by starting major experiments.

I'd give Knight a debut aswell as Parker, Wright and Bainbridge and if we get Meehan early play him as much as possible to get match fit.

A fair bit will depend on the amount of cap space that's left, I "think" when you bring up the young guys , even for one game, they have to then be paid the minimum salary, and we may not have this available.

PS: That is not fact, to be honest I don't know but I seem to remember a few years ago when we had all those injuries people asking why we couldn't bring up player A or B, and this was the reason.

Sorry guys but Hayne is never going to agree to play for Manly, I don't care what we offer him. So let's get the Hayne thing out of our system once and for all. I do agree that we are sorely lacking a backrower who can run into a hole off DCE's passes.

A fair bit will depend on the amount of cap space that's left, I "think" when you bring up the young guys , even for one game, they have to then be paid the minimum salary, and we may not have this available.

PS: That is not fact, to be honest I don't know but I seem to remember a few years ago when we had all those injuries people asking why we couldn't bring up player A or B, and this was the reason.

You may be right thereMark, but then they seem to be making moves to sign up at least one player before Jun 30 so I suspect they have some money in reserve for a bit of experimentation. My understanding of the salary cap rules are that the top 25 are to be paid a limit of $4.4 million. However a further $350,000 can be used on players outside of those 25, so using U20s players for instance is acceptable as long as they are paid when playing first grade out of that $350,000. I would suggest if that is the case there is plenty of leeway for experimenting with those players for a couple of games each.

I was thinking along similar lines and wondered whether that was the reason behind Tom's early departure.

Cap is a lot more than 4.4 mill.It is 6.1 million for top 25 right now and going up in 2018 by a hefty amount so you wont see many players commit past 2017.

Sorry Susan. I'm as usual behind the times. But I think the extras still exist for bringing in players on occasions not designated in the top 25. Or have I got that wrong too

I am not sure about who to buy, you cannot just sign random players for positions. There needs to be an overall fit, and the coaching staff has a responsibility to mould the squad. Can Trent do this, I know many may laugh, but I think he can. This is his first year, and I am sure he has learnt a lot about the club and the personalities within the club. Expect a new blue print for 2017. Like I said previously, due to current contracts, we bought stop gap players to be competitive and to change some of the culture.
I love all the Manly boys, but the following need to go
Mateo
Starling
Lawrence
Tafua
Stewart
Burgess
Vave
Leary
+ Jamie retires

Plenty of coin to rebuild our forward pack!!!!!!
That's were we compete with the big boys

First step is identify in the lower grades those players who seem to have the goods. Then, but not all at once, give them a taste of the Majors for a few games to let them have an idea of what they need to do to their game. I would bring Knight in on the bench for the rest of the year to acclimatise him. He'll make silly mistakes but better to address them at first grade level now than wait. He's served his apprenticeship. Try out Cust once or twice against the lesser performing clubs. Give Ramien, Pratt and Bainbridge a couple of games. After he's played a few more games in the U20s (he's only played 2 or 3 I think) I'd give Tom Wright a taste on the wing before the season's end.

I'd also make a big play that may be hotly disagreed with. I would recontract Jamil Hopoate, who is killing them in minor competition. He'll be needed next year.Before he went to serve his time, he was one of the best lower grade forwards we had, if not the best. We've forgiven others in the team for past crimes. Time to forgive young Jamil and bring him back into the fold.

Good post but wright and Bainbridge are a couple of years away from trying first grade . Reserves for them in fact cust and Bainbridge both played against the doggies reserves

Sorry Susan. I'm as usual behind the times. But I think the extras still exist for bringing in players on occasions not designated in the top 25. Or have I got that wrong too
Not sure mate but it rings a bell. Would make sense.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6