Cleal 'driven out by infighting'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
lsz said:
To be fair look at how the board responded at the end (with the additional $) you can understand Des wanting that sooner and playing hardball over it

Pretty hard to offer a contract extension and upgrade in $$$ if you don't have the money in the cupboard, or tangible prospects of obtaining it. Some people live in dream world.
It's Des's personal right to negotiate a better deal....the key word is "negotiate"
If I am a business owner (I am) I am not going to throw endless dollars that I can't account for just to satisfy one persons wants(needs)
It's a bit like the salary cap-Des achieved all his KPI's on the field, and it drove up his bargaining power and worth-he simply peddled that to a more financially viable club-simple.
Just like negotiating any new individual contract.

That's a pretty damning article, you can almost feel his frustration. This really has turned into a battle of egos and control. Love to know what the precipitation has been for all this to come to a head. I don't think it is any coincidence that things have degenerated since Lowey left. Maybe the new bloke has an out of control ego, or has been brought in specifically to do the dirty work of the "faceless men". There's a lot of blood on the floor since he has arrived.

Anyway I hope their "victory" is not a pyrrhic one.

DSM considering the length of player contracts (and need for stability) and the lack of coaching talent in the NRL I would think 18 months is the bare minimum

Ultimately the NRL is a results based business. Manly had the best coach, in terms of results, in recent NRL history. How the board, regardless of who you think is responsible, could fail to retain him is the key issue. The anecdotal evidence is Des / team had achieved the results using comparatively minimal funding compared to other clubs

I can not see how this was an issue unless there are significant ego's involved.

Did the club go over the cap? No
Did the club over perform on the field? Yes

I am not going to buy into the apparent rush to trash Des now he is leaving. I would rather look at why and how we ended up here

Stevo said:
I have heard that Manly was the only club that had the coach and the recruitment manager running the show. Really, shouldn't it be their job to recruit and manage players. Surely it should be left to the board or at least with the blessing and directive of the board to negotiate contracts?

The buck stops with the CEO - Just ask Brian Waldron. Perry has every right to insist that he have a role in recruitment as a key aspect of the club's future performance.

Maybe Perry is an a-hole and overstepped the mark with Des and Crusher. But it sounds more likely to me like Des and Crusher were the ones with out of control egos. Maybe their egos were fuelled in recent years because Lowe was a pushover and let them do whatever they wanted. When a CEO came in who actually wanted to perform the function of a CEO they couldn't handle it.

I can't see Greenburg letting Des and Crusher do whatever they want. If that's what Des and Crusher expect, I think they will be sorely disappointed and there will be plenty of trouble out at Belmore before too long.

Stevo said:
I don't know much about this. But, from the outside looking in, the "they had the chance to sign Des 6 months ago" line is effin bull****. I don't know if this question has been asked yet but if anyone can shed some light on it that would be great.

Why would it be a priority to re-sign a coach who still had 18 months to go on his contract?

Shouldn't player retention and the current season be the focus? Couldn't it have waited until the off season?

As it turns out, no it couldn't of waited. Board was probably awaiting Hoppa to return from his mission before they tabled him a contract aswell.

Stevo said:
I have heard that Manly was the only club that had the coach and the recruitment manager running the show. Really, shouldn't it be their job to recruit and manage players. Surely it should be left to the board or at least with the blessing and directive of the board to negotiate contracts?

So making 3 grand finals in 5 years is not proof enough to say that we got it right and the other clubs are wrong?

Tell me what our CEO knows more about football compared to 2 guys who have coached premiership winning teams and played at the highest level in their sport?

If we are not winnjing games and comps then the board/CEO makes changes. But if we are winning why would you change FFS?

Isz, ultimately the NRL is a game that has to survive financially. Results are a bonus. It's how a club survives financially that's important. I, for one, don't want our club to end up in the Cronulla camp. You never answered the question of just who you think is financially responsible for the running of the club, the CEO, coach or recruitment guy? And it's good to read you're in the know with regards to the cap. I wasn't aware that the NRL had published the data from this season.

DSM des and crusher should be allocated a budget. How they spend it should be up to them not the CEO. CEO sets the budget which they have to work with.

Pretty simple really

As for the salary cap I am not the one handing accusations re spending over the cap. All i know is the club has been audited many times (as per media reports) without any anomalies

All that said I am over this argument and will agree to disagree with people on it.

tookey said:
Stevo said:

So making 3 grand finals in 5 years is not proof enough to say that we got it right and the other clubs are wrong?

Tell me what our CEO knows more about football compared to 2 guys who have coached premiership winning teams and played at the highest level in their sport?

If we are not winnjing games and comps then the board/CEO makes changes. But if we are winning why would you change FFS?

Yep that's great mate. I'm as happy as the next bloke about that. However, being a good coach and player doesn't give you the authority to run a football club. Perry is the boss. And if he wants a say in who comes and who goes he's entitled to it. Preferably all 3 would sit down together and nut through these issues. And if Des and Noel don't like A CEO taking back control of his club then they are free to leave like they have done.

Perry obviously had/has a job to do and i admire his stance(if this is what happened). How can a bloke run a club if he doesn't have control of it?

Stevo said:
tookey said:
Stevo said:

Yep that's great mate. I'm as happy as the next bloke about that. However, being a good coach and player doesn't give you the authority to run a football club. Perry is the boss. And if he wants a say in who comes and who goes he's entitled to it. Preferably all 3 would sit down together and nut through these issues. And if Des and Noel don't like A CEO taking back control of his club then they are free to leave like they have done.

Perry obviously had/has a job to do and i admire his stance(if this is what happened). How can a bloke run a club if he doesn't have control of it?

I just watched the FoxSports interview with Max Delmege http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/hasler-had-to-go-delmege/video-e6frf3ou-1226191705663?subcat=1225914677120 and at the 1:10 minute mark, he stated that the foot being put down to Des with regards as to who is the boss started with Graham Lowe and was carried on with David Perry.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6