Chris Walker turns on Storm's wrestling tactics

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
Adrian Proszenko
August 21, 2011

FORMER Melbourne star Chris Walker has unleashed a savage attack on his former club, claiming the Storm's wrestling techniques are a blight on the game.

Walker posted a series of explosive comments on Twitter after watching the Storm defeat St George Illawarra in Friday night's blockbuster at AAMI Park.

''Melbourne & Craig Bellamy have f----d league with the way they employ wrestling moves, grapple, etc, it's not MMA or wrestling, IT'S RL!!!!,'' Walker tweeted late on Friday night.

He followed up soon afterwards with: ''I'm sorry Melbourne fans, but it's not the way footy should b played, they r a well coached team without that rubbish''. The former Queensland flyer added: ''… I call it as I c it, I was apart of it and I can tell u that they employ all the s--t tactics, we trained 4 it''.

The spray did not go down well in Melbourne. Storm officials did not wish to comment publicly, but were disappointed the tirade will deflect from their surge for the minor premiership, a feat achieved just a year after the salary cap scandal decimated their playing ranks.

One club insider offered: ''Chris Walker is not really well liked by a lot of people in our place, including the coach. Chris is one of only two players sacked on Craig Bellamy's watch, along with Arana Taumata. They are both characters who have had plenty of clubs, were given plenty of opportunities but didn't take them.

''He had numerous misdemeanours down here. He failed the culture of the group and was sacked.

''The biggest thing that pisses us off is that he wants to get into our tackling technique - this coming from a bloke who couldn't tackle.''

Walker played just seven games for the Storm in 2006 before he was sent packing for disciplinary reasons. The veteran three-quarter, who was granted an early release from Parramatta to concentrate on his Walker Brothers Earthworks business, was unrepentant yesterday.

''Some of their techniques … and holds to slow the play the ball down - to a person who knows - are not in the best interests of the game,'' Walker told The Sun-Herald. ''I watched the game pretty closely last night. Having three in the tackle - one around the legs and having two guys hold [the attacker] up, was what Melbourne were doing. St George had ample opportunities to get a third in at the knees, but they're obviously not coached like that down there.

''I know that 99.9 per cent of the teams employ wrestling coaches, but they just seem to have a better technique than everyone else.''

Walker clocked up 163 NRL games across six clubs during a colourful and controversial career. The 31-year-old was a prolific try-scorer but, ironically, was not known for his defence. ''I think defence was a thing that went around my place,'' he joked.

While there wasn't any one incident that caught his attention in Friday's game, the man dubbed ''Texas'' claimed the Storm pioneered many of the wrestling moves now prevalent in league.

''The style of football has certainly changed and I know its changed because Melbourne have changed the game,'' he said. ''I'm certainly not condoning what they do, but now there's a large focus on holding players up, chopping knees, putting people into submission holds that have been learned from coaches.''

Accusations of wrestling always hit a raw nerve with the Storm. Their recent tactics, copied by rivals, have not piqued the interest of the match review committee.

Walker said the Storm didn't need to resort to such tactics. ''That's the thing, Craig Bellamy is probably the best coach at the moment,'' he said. ''He's got a team there with the big three - Cooper [Cronk], Cameron [Smith] and Billy [Slater] - that you don't need to put that on.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/tackleshy-walker-turns-on-storms-wrestling-tactics-20110820-1j3l4.html#ixzz1VfMRx9Ta

LOL at the sledge from the club on his tackling ability. Remember the controversy about the Ben Walker sandpit as well. The Walkers' backyard games must have always racked up 50+ points a side.

Well he had enough credibility to play state of origin. So whether you like him or not, his opinion is valid and he's just saying what everyone else thinks.

Spot on, the scum simply don't play in the spirit of the game. They approach every game with an attitude that they will do whatever they have to do, legal or not, to win. Winning is the only thing that matters, it's Ok to cheat to do that.

They are a blight on Rugby League. The sooner bellamy is gone from Rugby League the better. What sort of an example are they setting for young blokes?

Fonz said:
Well he had enough credibility to play state of origin. So whether you like him or not, his opinion is valid and he's just saying what everyone else thinks.

To put it in perspective so did Mundine.

Not a good look to slag of former employer's well IMO anyway.

I didn't mind Chris Walker. Total idiot of course, but he could score a decent try. Ripped of Souths as well. All good.

People that know Chris Walker know he is not a bad bloke. Fairly out spoken and a bit of a wild child but is always speaking at charity and football events and when at the Titans, did a mountain of charity work. He played in 6 origins and 2 grandfinals. If the guy has an opinion i'm happy to hear it.

• 👍
Reactions: God
The more pressure placed on Melbourne's tactics the better for every other team in the finals. Wasn't it 2008 when the Grapple tackle issue flared up - and you know what happened to Melb that season.

Didnt like Walker as a player but as with anyone who makes public attacks on the storm i am just going to have to like him for the time being.

Not a Walker fan & laughed with the comeback tackle comments because i agree but... he makes a valid point & still has the insight on how they train, even though he wasn't capable of tackling he has played at a few clubs & was adament the tactics were not part of the game he has played since he was a kid. Regardless of it being claimed by Lazaras , Walker or any ex Storm player the NRL needs to listen or face a serious long term or permanent injury. Prevention is better than cure & illegally slowing down the game is not a great spectacle for fans.

TerryRandall said:
Can't believe more isnt being made of the storm tactic of holding players upright in tackles while a third tackler dives in at the knees. Saw it a few times in the dragons game - will cripple someone eventually. Might be OK by the letter of the law, but definitely not in the spirit of the game. I like our tactic of actually picking players up and carting them backwards in tackles. More reward and doesn't risk physically injuring people.

I wasn't paying close attention to it, but there was 1 really bad one on Weyman just before halftime, couldn't beleive it wasn't pulled up. Dragons dropped the ball a tackle later and Weyman was questioning the refs on it at the scrum

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6