Chris Walker to leave the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
I will admit he has finally turned his life around, but he is one person who I wish had left our game a very long time ago and has been on my most disliked list for a very long time. To me he is now showing the type of loyalty I have come to expect from him. Don't let the door smack your bum as you go.

TITANS star Chris Walker is just days away from announcing he will quit the NRL and move to England next year.

The former State Of Origin flyer has knocked back an offer from the Titans and is expected to take up a two-year deal in England.

Titans coach John Cartwright yesterday said the Gold Coast had made their final offer and it was up to Walker to decide.

"We put an offer on the table, at this stage they've knocked it back," he said.

It is understood the Titans had offered Walker a one-year $120,000 deal while he can command over $200,000 in England.

Cartwright admitted all NRL clubs struggled competing with lucrative overseas contracts.

"He's got a big offer to go overseas, it happens to every club. The lure of the dollar overseas is always going to be bigger when they target someone."

"It's up to Chris to decide what he wants to do with his future."

The Titans are keen to sign Walker for another year, but are not prepared to engage in a bidding war for the talented winger who has overcome two, potentially career ending, achilles tendon injuries in recent years.

Walker is believed to be finalising his future this week.

Cartwright said the negotiations had been cordial between all parties.

"Regardless of what happens we wish him well. We did have an offer on the table, he'll sort his future out this week I'd imagine."

Walker's form has been solid for the Titans this season.

He missed Saturday night's win over the New Zealand Warriors with migraines.

Despite a history of off-field indiscretions the Gold Coast club threw him a lifeline in 2007.

However early in that season he was involved in a minor incident in a Gold Coast nightclub and the Titans banned him from playing for eight weeks.

Since then Walker's image has transformed from 'bad boy to choir boy' and he has won club awards for his community work.

I well remember the other Walker brother creating history for League and for us when he was the first person to kick a penalty and thus win us a game against the Slime at Brookie in extra time for the first golden point victory in the NRL..

Nice player and great goalkicker Ben Walker and pity that Pom rubbed him out in the sevens game before the start of ??? was it season 2004? Beaver got the broken eye socket in the same match no wonder the sevens idea was shelved....

Wasn't the ref later shown to have erred in giving Manly the penalty that allowed Ben to create golden point history?

Disgraceful from Chris Walker..... the titans have done him a huge amount of favours over the last couple of years and he's gonna turn his back on them.

Can't teach an old DOG new tricks.

Weren't Ben and Shane involved in some scandal when Manly played Souths. Shane gave away a penalty in front of the sticks early in the game and Ben slotted over the penalty. There was some anomoly with the betting on the first scoring play of the match.

Brookiegreg you're right.  As I recall through the fog of time, the Slime guy got penalized for a doubler tackle or laying on the guy.  I thought it was harsh and not worthy of a penalty, but there you go.  He kicked it from near the sideline about thirty five metres back. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6