Chris Baily

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

reyam

Reserve Grader
What an oxygen thief,I always thought he was a poor buy and last night proved that.He was only a bench player in a very poor drugcastle team yet he pushes the best 5/8 in the comp to centre.I cannot see us going anywhere with him in team

FFS Manly fans need to learn to get some patience

This time last year, the exact same thing was being said about Lyon, and Des was copping it left, right and centre for sticking with him, because "He would never be a 5/8". The same happened in Kite's 1st season with us, people were calling for his head and he was a useless buy

The bench player at Newcastle thing is irrelevant as well, we had a side last year that won the comp made up of a lot of them, guys like Robertson, Matai, Williams, Hall, Bryant etc

I would leave him at 5/8th if we had no other option, but we had a winning combo with Lyon/Orford why change it?

I guess if you look at the basic question:- Who is the better 5/8 right now? Lyon or Bailey. Lyon should be there every day of the week.

I might agree if we had other centre options but the fact is we are down a number of players in the backline.  Once we get Stewart, Williams and Williams back then it should be considered.  Until then Bailey stays for mine.  And as Kiwi said he needs time. 

This time last year, i wanted Lyon shifted to the centres, by the end of the year Lyon was a standout in 5/8

I am willing to give Bailey some time to develop, it's the first game, not ready to give up the season just yet

Ryan link said:
I guess if you look at the basic question:- Who is the better 5/8 right now? Lyon or Bailey. Lyon should be there every day of the week.

I just have to laugh at how quickly players of all sports are written off these days. A little melodramatic, don't you think?

Phillip Hughes was written off after his first over in test cricket and look what happened! Why are we so quick to write somebody off after 4 balls or, heaven forbid, one game? I hope that you don't have a child at school who has one bad spelling test...God help him/her!!

Settle, give him a few games before crucifying him.

I just have to laugh at how quickly players of all sports are written off these days. A little melodramatic, don't you think?

Phillip Hughes was written off after his first over in test cricket and look what happened! Why are we so quick to write somebody off after 4 balls or, heaven forbid, one game? I hope that you don't have a child at school who has one bad spelling test...God help him/her!!

[/quote]

I agree. You can't write some one off on one game, let him work with Dessy for awhile and he'll come good.  Anyway it's the media's job to write people off without reason. :)

His hands were the worst but he will get better. His tackling style and build suits the 6 and I have no doubt we will be praising him before long.

I think he'll be OK.  Lyon is needed to stiffen the outside backs.  Don't write anyone off after last night.  It was, after all, our first trial match.

Doesn't all this crucifying of Chris Bailey after one game sound a little bit similar to the way Brett Stewart has been portrayed in the media and by the NRL after just one incidence?

Come on guys, give it a break. Don't sink to the low depths of the media & NRL. Give the guy a few games before you criticise. Yeah, keep an eye on him and if after a few games you think that nothing has changed with his game then by all means, blast away.

Fair enough Jethro, i am willing to give him a few more weeks, but the situation reminds me of when we signed Craig Field for 1997 and shuffled the halves around to fit him in.
The way i see it, Glenn Stewart only really plays as a right-hand second rower, not really a "Lock". Let Bailey play lock so we have Killer, Ox, Bailey and both Stewarts playing ball distributing roles.

Moops link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=179648.msg212709#msg212709 date=1237074949]

[/quote]

I'm definitely not writing him off mate - I just think we have better options. I want Lyon with the ball more in his hands, Bailey - well - a little less. He'd make a great impact # 17 IMO.

But like Garts said above - this can only happen when Tony Williams, David Williams and The Bullet returns.

Bailey is more of you "do it yourself" sort of guy runs a lot more than Lyon did.

I am not going to write him off yet, I am happy to give him more chances, i didnt warm to Lyon in 5/8 until about round 8 or 9 I think

Ryan link said:
Basic it may be, but I don't think Des is looking at that question.
My guess is he is looking at who will be the better 5/8 for the team by the end of the year (and the year after). Good forward planning (again) Des.

It's hard to get a read on the guy just from last nights game. We had no ball early and then we were blown off the park. Not the sort of game one can showcase some wares in. Let's see how he goes in dry weather when our pack are laying a decent foundation. I'm prepared to give him a few games, as I prefer Lyon at centre TBH. We can guarantee one thing, if we lose the next 2 or 3 and he doesn't produce then he will be hung out to dry.....he could be the new Monas or Mullane if he trys particularly hard.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6