Choc's ball playing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
We should really be looking at a way of using this. In 2 Origin games he has thrown some nice balls to put others through gaps but we don't have him doing that at club level. Get Matai running off it and we have another weapon in the armoury

He showed how far he has matured. In a couple of tackles he was smashed around the head and in the old days he would have had a stink. These days he gets up and plays the ball at blinding pace, and THEN gets in their face. You are right KE, his passes are terrific, he can read where the weaknesses are in defence and takes advantage of them.

I loved it when he was straddling a NSW player trying to get a hold of one of the markers.

Typical choc - just busting at the seems with energy

That ball for Creagh's first try was awesome, he drew the player and let the ball go at the perfect time, Creagh hit the gap perfectly too

Kiwi Eagle link said:
We should really be looking at a way of using this. In 2 Origin games he has thrown some nice balls to put others through gaps but we don't have him doing that at club level. Get Matai running off it and we have another weapon in the armoury

One solution here - Brett Stewart

Brookvale link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=181083.msg232327#msg232327 date=1247703284]

One solution here - Brett Stewart
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.  We need Brett Stewart back or somone to follow near Watmough and be ready to hit the gaps.  I hope Dessie will try to utilise Watmough more in this way.

How great were his hands last night?  Nearly every ball that came his way stuck although on a few occasions he nearly fumble it as he was trying to get up quickly to play the ball.

He now needs to continue this great form for Manly for the rest of the year.

I'm worried that Choc will not recreate that form at the club level.

He has been playing well for us but he is a big game player. The extra excitement and energy is evident in his game when there is a big crowd and lots at stake.

Fingers crossed he keeps going like he did last night.

Made Bellamy look a fool for leaving him out last year.

His grand final (08) game was probably the closest he has got to last night.
To be fair the only big match he didn't turn up in was the 07 GF, but then again none of the team did.

Interesting that he was picked at lock last night, her certainly bobbed up on both sides of the park rather than predominantly on the left which is more usual for him. Maybe he will swap with Gift or alternate during a match.

Roy Masters wrote an article on the game and pointed out something about Watmough, in regards to him playing number 13 -

"One moment encapsulates the effort of Watmough who Bellamy correctly read as a player more effective close to the ruck than out wide, where his reactions are less instinctive and options more varied."

I wonder if Des would bring him to the middle more?  Then again, he'd still need support players to run off him

Maybe play Rodney as left second rower, Gift as right (where he usually plays anyway) and Choc at Lock.
Geeze thats a good backrow.

It's probably more about how Des uses watmough moving forward. it doesn't matter what number he has on his back. If Gifty is 2nd row, he will still be used as a link in the backline. Watmoughs improvement will obviously give Des more options other than playing on the left side and you'd think Des would have all this in mind.

As for the captain poll...I'd prefer not just so he can concentrate on his own game, but wouldn't be averse to trying out the idea to see how he goes if we are looking for a captain.

he didnt play on the right side all night, it was all through the middle third and left side. Nothing is stopping him doing that now.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6