1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choc's ball playing

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Kiwi Eagle, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    We should really be looking at a way of using this. In 2 Origin games he has thrown some nice balls to put others through gaps but we don't have him doing that at club level. Get Matai running off it and we have another weapon in the armoury

2. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    He showed how far he has matured. In a couple of tackles he was smashed around the head and in the old days he would have had a stink. These days he gets up and plays the ball at blinding pace, and THEN gets in their face. You are right KE, his passes are terrific, he can read where the weaknesses are in defence and takes advantage of them.

3. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    No reason why he can't go on to play 15+ Origins after this series.

4. DVS Matt

DVS Matt Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I loved it when he was straddling a NSW player trying to get a hold of one of the markers.

Typical choc - just busting at the seems with energy

5. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    That ball for Creagh's first try was awesome, he drew the player and let the ball go at the perfect time, Creagh hit the gap perfectly too

6. KaZa

KaZa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 20
    hes got to keep playing like this at club level

7. ads

ads Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1
    Yeah if he plays like that for us, we'll win plently more games this season.

8. Brookvale

Brookvale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 1
    One solution here - Brett Stewart

9. Rodo

Rodo Goldmember 2016 Tipping Competitor

Southern Sydney
    Ratings:
    +484 / 14
    One solution here - Brett Stewart
    [/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.  We need Brett Stewart back or somone to follow near Watmough and be ready to hit the gaps.  I hope Dessie will try to utilise Watmough more in this way.

How great were his hands last night?  Nearly every ball that came his way stuck although on a few occasions he nearly fumble it as he was trying to get up quickly to play the ball.

He now needs to continue this great form for Manly for the rest of the year.

10. Si

Si Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm worried that Choc will not recreate that form at the club level.

He has been playing well for us but he is a big game player. The extra excitement and energy is evident in his game when there is a big crowd and lots at stake.

Fingers crossed he keeps going like he did last night.

Made Bellamy look a fool for leaving him out last year.

11. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    1 answer to why Choc is getting better "BK" is giving him coaching

12. Pepi

Pepi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 20
    His grand final (08) game was probably the closest he has got to last night.
    To be fair the only big match he didn't turn up in was the 07 GF, but then again none of the team did.

13. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,799 / 122
    Interesting that he was picked at lock last night, her certainly bobbed up on both sides of the park rather than predominantly on the left which is more usual for him. Maybe he will swap with Gift or alternate during a match.

14. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I noticed that too, playing him at lock meant he could be on noth sides of the ruck, and looked a lot better for it.

15. eggson

eggson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +239 / 2
    Roy Masters wrote an article on the game and pointed out something about Watmough, in regards to him playing number 13 -

"One moment encapsulates the effort of Watmough who Bellamy correctly read as a player more effective close to the ruck than out wide, where his reactions are less instinctive and options more varied."

I wonder if Des would bring him to the middle more?  Then again, he'd still need support players to run off him

16. Pepi

Pepi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 20
    Maybe play Rodney as left second rower, Gift as right (where he usually plays anyway) and Choc at Lock.
    Geeze thats a good backrow.

17. Mal Cochrane

Mal Cochrane I'm not really Mal Cochrane...

Ratings:
    +442 / 4
    It's probably more about how Des uses watmough moving forward. it doesn't matter what number he has on his back. If Gifty is 2nd row, he will still be used as a link in the backline. Watmoughs improvement will obviously give Des more options other than playing on the left side and you'd think Des would have all this in mind.

As for the captain poll...I'd prefer not just so he can concentrate on his own game, but wouldn't be averse to trying out the idea to see how he goes if we are looking for a captain.

18. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,625 / 132
    he didnt play on the right side all night, it was all through the middle third and left side. Nothing is stopping him doing that now.