Choc play the ball

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
Definately one of the NRL's quickest as he's rarely put on his back and nearly always lands on elbows and knees but do you guys worry everytime he actually plays the ball. He does it that hard at least 2-3 times a game i'm worried Ballins gonna miss it or knock on.

No big deal but is it just me or does everyone else get nervous?

I'm more worried choc is going to drop it but this year has been our most consistent and one of the top 3 in our team so my heart wouldn't be in it if I were criticising him

He went through a period late last year where he kinda angled off to the right whilst playing the ball, to the point where in the GF the commentators started sooking about it but seems to have that under control.

His play the ball speed in terms of the time between tackled and playing it has got to be on average close to the quickest in the league. Absolute machine whom I wouldn't swap for any other back rower running around currently :)

Komori do you not think that was a tactic?
Every fraction of a second counts, that borderline play the ball was all about giving is some extra space and time on the right hand side, it helped chez a lot

A bit over two years ago he would have got up throwing a punch, whinged and carried on for a penalty, played it sloppily or dropped it cold. Since then it has been all about speed of the play the ball and absolutely no rubbish. He gets it wrong rarely and is one of the best go forward no nonsense players in the entire NRL. It is a credit to himself that he has made this turn-around. Outstanding imo and no complaints.

Daniel you could be right!! To be honest I never looked at it that way but you make sense....

Either way he's a dead set legend and a Manly hero :)

Yep he has come a long way. You would be surprised at the amount of small tactics there are that go unnoticed as soon as one is pointed out, it stands out like dogs balls everytime it's used.

Another is the storm and tigers leaving a man behind in the tackle to run back through the ruck as the play the ball happens. Tigers generally try to get a man to stay just enough in the way to be annoying but legal, storm try to put off the dummy half and force his options. You'll notice it every time now

I kinda miss the old school simplicity of footy back when I played.... 2 simple rules for a prop: run straight and hard, and if they're not wearing your colours belt nine colours of crap out of them :)

Remember the old play the ball facing your own posts trick... That's when props were props.

KOMORI said:
I kinda miss the old school simplicity of footy back when I played.... 2 simple rules for a prop: run straight and hard, and if they're not wearing your colours belt nine colours of crap out of them :)

Agreed! Backs were free to run sideways & throw Hail Mary passes ;-)

It seems to me that in recent times Choc has changed the way he plays the ball. He was a big liability with his hands until last season but now he has "safe" hands. He's looks very unnatural in the way he plays the ball but it is very effective and he rarely makes a mistake playing it. Could it be that he has changed which foot he puts forward in playing the ball?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6