Choc on Nein

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Does anybody have a link to the interview? A lot of people have strong opinions about what's been said.
It would be good to watch before it hits the papers.
Thank you.
You're welcome.

I think this interview highlights the divide between the playing roster & the club itself. I don't think skivvy wants to leave, he just wants more money & choc is helping him. After all, they are in negotiation aren't they? After his supposed comments on the weekend, it's no surprise skivvy didn't personally front the media to clarify his admission of wanting to leave. He currently earns less than certain other, younger players on the same roster, who haven't been there half as long as he has. Considering the market is inflated (tedesco 450k, jennings 500k, j morris 550k) it's hardly surprising. The ironic thing for all of us, is that we ALL wanted to hear an honest insight from the players, but NOT A SINGLE MANLY SUPPORTER WANTED TO HEAR what choc said

niccipops said:
Does anybody have a link to the interview? A lot of people have strong opinions about what's been said.
It would be good to watch before it hits the papers.
Thank you.
You're welcome.

It will be on here - takes them a while to post it.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/video/league

HappilyManly said:
It will be on here - takes them a while to post it.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/video/league
Thanks HM. I didn't read the 'takes them a while to post it' bit and went on an unsuccessful clicking frenzy.:shy: I'll have a look later. Cheers.

I agree that Skivy (and Choc actually) should honour their contracts next year, if Manly so insists.

I just mean what Choc said, in context, doesn't surprise or worry me too much.

I love Manly………always have and always will……..!

And no one player is bigger than the club and gee am I pretty unimpressed with Choc at present.

I don’t want to see an arrogant poor me attitude creeping in and this sense of entitlement.

Choc, Matai and Gift have been very well looked after by Manly, for many, many years. Where would they all be without Manly, would they have any premierships or have enjoyed as much on field success?

Manly the club which also incorporates the fans have all created the incredible winning culture, not just one or two players alone. It goes both ways boys and as for any Manly players taking any pay cuts as such, I really don’t know about that. Just look at how much money Gift is on this year (and how many games has he actually played for us this year anyway) and Choc apparently $900,000 for next year. Would Choc take $450,000 to keep Gifty next year, speculation on my behalf but Choc seriously mate, pull your head in? What employee bites the hand that feeds them, I certainly never learnt this in the being a good employee hand book? And Matai what is going on there? He is on a contract until the end of 2015. (Did he not also sign that very same contract and agree to the terms and pay?) The NRL need to stamp this contract breaking BS out and no other team should approach any player’s manager or player until a very maximum of 6 months before the contract ends.

I am very passionate about Manly and I just can’t believe some of the rubbish that is being dished out by media and some of our own players and ex player. Brent Kite has also put in his two cents worth. This article among others (link below) is just ridiculous. http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/brent-kite-fears-manly-dynasty-may-unravel-20140716-zti7v.

I don’t want any players to threaten the board or us the fans indirectly if they can’t get their own way. That is just ludicrous.

I am also dirty on that dog Des, what did he do with all those back ended contracts? Could he see it coming and got out in time?

Anyway, stay if you want to, but if you don’t please leave….! Wearing the Manly jersey is an honour and should be viewed as such by all players given the opportunity to put one on. Be proud being a Mighty Sea Eagle, play hard, give your all and focus on trying to get us yet another premiership boys.

That is all……...!!!! :mad:

KaZa said:
BOZO said:
Choc was playing his heart out with a torn bicep for us and he has maroon blood running through his veins . This post is a disgrace . Take the bloody thing off !!!

Sorry. I will post whatever you like instead. Don't like it don't read it.

If you read properly.. I want him to stay but if he or any other player is unhappy. I want the club to let them go.

Have you ever been unhappy at work? I have - I got over it, they will too. FFS we don't have to let people go just because they have a sook

It should be very simple IMO , players are payed to play that is what they sign contracts to do.

It is not their place to discuss on social media , how they feel about the clubs decision on issues or vent their displeasure on other players contracts & future and their reasons why.
Each club has their big men on the field trying to win games , and big men in the office trying to run a confident & positive club neither should interfere with each other and advertise it in public.Its not a good look.

Little disappointed with that interview , it made our club look unprofessional.

Hopefully it doesnt have an effect on monday night.

KaZa said:
I like Watmough and I do want him to stay however he appears unhappy and chats to Wielder at every opportunity. First with Glenn Stewart unhappy that we let him go. Now hes unhappy were not releasing Matai. Which is it? He should have a media ban. I just don't get what he gets out of talking to Wiedler? Money?

If any senior players are unhappy. They should be let go. Including Watmough. We always have and always will find replacements and be successful. They can all goto Souths or Warriors or wherever. They won't win a championship again.

Sick of seeing them in the headlines.

I like Choc too. I agree with him that it is a business (even though my heart says the Manly club is part of our souls).

I disagree with Choc on letting players go if they wanted to for the following reasons:

1. It would be a bloody stupid "business" decision for Manly to let go of any player that is at the peak of their game to see them play for the opposition. Matai is currently on fire. He is kicking ass on the field. Furthermore, he's a huge drawcard and very popular with Manly players and fans.

2. What kind of message does Manly want to send to all our players if they decided that when another club will offer them more money and the players can just take a hike by asking for a release? It will set a bad precedence and these "business" contracts will mean jack!

Sorry Choc. You're WRONG.

Skivi, first of all, he should do 200 games before he can consider himself having given his all to our club. Even then, I don't believe any quality player should be let go (if it is a "business"). To assist an opposition club would contradict any sound "business" strategy.

It's only a business when it suits them. (The players) Will there be any eyes on Choc's game on Monday night?

PS @Eagleheart I loved ya passion in that spray. Great stuff. Dam we better smash those dragons Choc.

RiverEagle said:
I agree that Skivy (and Choc actually) should honour their contracts next year, if Manly so insists.

Absolutely - a contract's a contract! If the shoe was on the other foot and Manly didn't want to re-sign them (a la Gifty), there'd be such an outcry.

Very disappointed with Choc. Love his passion as a player and admired him for being Manly through and through, particularly during De$gate. Now he airs his grievances to Weidler (couldn't he pick a better journalist, or preferably not at all?!) and completely undoes yesterday's positive interviews with BJ and Tommy. Where's Manly's Media Manager to.....manage the media?!!

Rant over, move on!

Cliffy said:
It's only a business when it suits them. (The players) Will there be any eyes on Choc's game on Monday night?

PS @Eagleheart I loved ya passion in that spray. Great stuff. Dam we better smash those dragons Choc.

Thank you Cliffy, yes I am very passionate about my Mighty Sea Eagles.
;)

If you watched the Footy Show tonight, dedicated to Alex Mac and the RiseForAlex round and cause, you should recognize footy is a lot more than just a busines too, though.

It seems some people want the players to be supermen, to the point of being complicit robots; and never display the same human frailties the rest of us do.

Of course it would be better if everyone was 100% content and all went on their merry way to greener pastures and/or retirement like Beaver.

That's not reality.

And I agree with the view that men like Choc, and Skivy and Gift for that matter, have earned the right to speak their minds when it's their lives and their families that are as important as the Manly club (if not more). And that extends to the bond these guys have too.

They act like ''family'' as much as just team-mates; and I love that.

Some seem to welcome or expect comment (from the players), as long as it toes the line and vision they prefer.

And to say Skivy as well, isn't a legend already at Manly @Ramrod is a disgrace mate (sorry, I just disagree strongly there).

You only have to read these forums to understand this is a whole lot more to a whole lot of people, than just a business.

It means a hell-of-a-lot more than that!

Choc is one of my favourite players. I think he was as important as any who kept the club on an even keel after Des and the Dogs tried to rip the place apart.

I can fully understand where he comes from, he is only looking after his mates. Gifty didn't want to go and he had to, Matai wants to go and we won't let him. That's all he is doing.

The only issue I have is why he feels the need to tell one of the biggest leeches in rugby league.

I'll tell you what it does do; lets the fans down.

I don't care what anyone says, there is no game without the fans, and the last thing we want to see as Manly fans, is one of our star players publicly stating their disappointment for our club. It's not professional, not necessary, and instead of looking forward to a great game this weekend, we now have the concern of this interview and the ongoing saga to contend with.

Fair point @Snake

I think we've seen our team able to put ALL that aside once they run on, in the past, and many times this year too, mate.

And factor in the positive reassurances from BJ, TRed, Matty B... even Tyson (Andrews) to balance the overall attitude of the group.

It doesn't need to be a ''saga'' either, if us fans see it in perspective, and don't buy into the media whipping it all up to a much bigger deal than it actually is.

As Choc said "Its a business"...
Well then as much as we love Matai, a smart business move by Manly would be to not release him or re-sign him.
Why re-sign Matai when he has a contract with Manly until the end of the 2015 season?
Is it smart business to sign a player for what he is worth today (2014) when you are really paying for a 31 year old Matai in 2016?
Why releases the current best center in the NRL when you have him under contract for this season & next season?

niccipops said:
Thanks HM. I didn't read the 'takes them a while to post it' bit and went on an unsuccessful clicking frenzy.:shy: I'll have a look later. Cheers.

lol, don't you always tell your students: RTFQ...or RTQ before exams??

(read the question)

anyway...we should cut choc loose. what has he ever done for the club besides get into trouble peeing in public, getting injured, etc.

globaleagle said:
niccipops said:

lol, don't you always tell your students: RTFQ...or RTQ before exams??

(read the question)
Haha. No, I practically tell them what to write through over-the-top hints and they still come up with irrelevant responses. Being QLD kids you'd think they could at least one of their two heads.:p
Jokes. I love my kiddies and I do have one eight-year-old who could probably outscore most adults on any exam.
She's got a really cool teacher.;)

The remaining players from the brilliant 2008 Grand Final team are: Brett and Glenn Stewart, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, David Williams, Matt Ballin, Anthony Watmough, Jason King.
David Williams difficulties have been well argued here as has the apparent end of Jason King's health/form/career.
Brett Stewart received the most enormous support from the club and fans during the dismissed sexual assault charges. I think this puts him in his own boat.
You couldn't ask for more level heads than Killer and Matty Ballin.
That leaves Glenn Stewart, Matai, and Watmough.
My theory is that they really saw themselves as the steel of the club from that premiership, through the Brett incident through the 2011 premiership, and the immediate departure of Hasler. They see themselves as responsible for the survival of the club. To a great extent, I'm sure they were. But that discounts the great job done by Tooves, the halves, every other player, Donny Singe and his team, and the good people in management, development, and recruitment - there must be some, otherwise you're the Sharks.

They weren't with us in 1972, 1973, 1976, 1978, 1987, 1996 and they won't be with us for any premierships we win in the 2020's.
The truth is, and I thought they might have figured this, everybody ages. These three are no exception. And when you're running a football team, you must keep this in mind.
Truthfully, Glenn has spent sooo much time injured - and playing into form after injury - these past few years, that I applauded them letting him go. I am not privy to the way it was handled but if handled badly, that part was wrong.
As for Skivvi and Choc, yep they've given their all for us - as they would have for any club because they are pro footballers - but we have had to cringe at dropped balls, stiff arms, shoulder charges ... you know, weeks of suspensions and injuries.

It IS a business. Skivvi has a year to go on his contract and he must honour it. Imagine a phone developer at Apple asking for an early release on his contract so he could go work for Samsung. Yep.
While we're on that analogy, imagine an Apple employee being able to talk about the internal rumblings of the company to the media every couple of weeks. Yep.

I have loved cheering these three players - their brilliance, their grunt, their never-say-die attitude. But I loved exactly the same in Wombat, Igor, Bozo, Cliffy, Tooves, Beaver, and on it goes.

And on it will go.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4