Choc on Nein

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

KaZa

Bencher
I like Watmough and I do want him to stay however he appears unhappy and chats to Wielder at every opportunity. First with Glenn Stewart unhappy that we let him go. Now hes unhappy were not releasing Matai. Which is it? He should have a media ban. I just don't get what he gets out of talking to Wiedler? Money?

If any senior players are unhappy. They should be let go. Including Watmough. We always have and always will find replacements and be successful. They can all goto Souths or Warriors or wherever. They won't win a championship again.

Sick of seeing them in the headlines.

RE: Time for Choc to go

It seems every bloody day we are in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. And Watmough always gets to have his 5 cents worth.

BOZO said:
Choc was playing his heart out with a torn bicep for us and he has maroon blood running through his veins . This post is a disgrace . Take the bloody thing off !!!

Sorry. I will post whatever you like instead. Don't like it don't read it.

If you read properly.. I want him to stay but if he or any other player is unhappy. I want the club to let them go.

You want Choc to stay, but your thread is titled "time for Choc to go".
Which one is it???

BOZO said:
Choc was playing his heart out with a torn bicep for us and he has maroon blood running through his veins . This post is a disgrace . Take the bloody thing off !!!

Disagree.

He doesn't like the fact him and his mates best years are behind them. DCE, Foran, Buhrer, Hiku, Gutherson are the future.

Choc is a Manly legend as is Matai and they always will be but I do believe that no players under contract at Manly should speak to the media about what the Manly club 'should' or 'should not' do.
It's not a good look.
Just play footy please Choc.

Yeah two sincere comments from Choc is no big-deal for me.

Half the time you blokes were whingeing about all the media crap, and why won't the players speak up on things; one way or another!

They do and it's still not good enough.

I would EXPECT Choc to say exactly what he did.

Not happy that Gift is leaving.

Perhaps let Skivy go and get one last payday.

He's backing his mates.

And they ALL bust their back-sides together, out there on the park, no matter what is naturally occuring with contracts.

Especially Choc!

RE: Choc

I understand Choc's sentiments, as Matai and he were always in trouble together, and now he feels that he is helping his mate :angel:

The Club needs to have a Media Policy, and if these interviews are OK by them, then I guess Choc will continue with them :sleepy:

KaZa said:
BOZO said:

Sorry. I will post whatever you like instead. Don't like it don't read it.

If you read properly.. I want him to stay but if he or any other player is unhappy. I want the club to let them go.
We all have our opinion feathered friend and mine is that no player that loves and plays his heart out for our team should go . Choc is passionate about our club and players like Gift and Matai who have become legends of our club and he is obviously cut to see them go . Passionate people have feelings and so does Choc .

it's not just a walk on by interview, Choc is all dolled up for an interview on a lounge knowing what he will be asked, adding fire to the Matai issue. Does he really need to do an interview to put HIS thoughts out on Manly dudding matai to the media. This should be kept in-house for the good of the club and fans. All this after Ballin, Lawrence and Symonds say all is good in the place.

I've personally given more than 15 years to a company, does that give me the right to appear or write on social media and put the company in a negative light? And I don't get as much $$ as Choc, who is doing what he loves, what he earnt and what Manly gave him the opportunity to be. I'd be getting a warning from my employer.

Love the bloke, always have, but poor, poor form Choc.

Choc was the glue that kept the team together when the **** hit the fan during Desgate.
I will never forget that, and he's earned the right to say what he wants with his exploits on and off the field for Manly.
He will go down as one of the greats of the club when he hangs up the boots.

They are paid very well to play football. It suits them (and their manager) to play the professional athlete / "this is a business" line at contract time, but they won't afford the club the same respect ?

I don't doubt their loyalty to Manly, but at what price ?? Were they thinking of Gifty when they negotiated their last contracts, were they leaving money on the table so their mates could stay ? Sure it was "reported" (we'll never know) they accepted unders, that's their decision as they obviously put their own price on loyalty, mateship, and premiership winning potential. I'm glad they did, but it wasn't for wholly altruistic reasons I'm sure.

The club has to work within the confines of a very restrictive salary cap, and I'd like to think they are doing their best juggling a difficult situation. We've done very well over the last 10 years and that should continue with the securing of some of the great young talent we have coming through. I have seen no reason to doubt the clubs recruitment/retention processes to date.

If Matai has signed a contract and the club wants to enforce it then he should honour it. If Choc doesn't want to be here, then ask for a release and see what they say. Life will go on, we all know the club is bigger than any one player. All 3 of these guys mentioned are Manly legends in my book, how they write that last chapter is entirely up to them. But whinging in the media about contractual stuff isn't something I like to see.

BOZO said:
Passionate people have feelings and so does Choc .

^
For Choc.
Maintain the passion. Use it on the field and see that you and Stevie and Gift get another ring this year.

Apparently Choc is under some deal with ch9 which is why he is always being interviewed. However the club need to step in and manage what he talks about. He gets paid by the club to play footy not bad mouth the club. I kind of understand now why des was so paranoid with players talking to the media

MissKate said:
Apparently Choc is under some deal with ch9 which is why he is always being interviewed. However the club need to step in and manage what he talks about. He gets paid by the club to play footy not bad mouth the club. I kind of understand now why des was so paranoid with players talking to the media
Des is a swear word but good point.

After watching the interview I instantly thought about tomorrow's sports headlines ! Nice choc, way to throw the club into the media frenzy it's already trying to deal with !

I don't feel Choc was ''whingeing''.

Yes they are well-paid, but a contract is two-sided.
The club reaps great reward, on and off the field, because of champions like Choc, Skivy and Gift.

And yes: as far as we know the main players at Manly have taken unders, and back-ended their deals trying to stay together as long as possible.

Within reason, they are entitled to their opinion.

Would you prefer he say, ''I don't care what happens (to Matai or Stewart) it's a business, and all I care about is gettin' the biggest piece of the pie for me''!

You could argue whether he should do a ''formal'' interview like that, now and then, or not.

On what he actually said, I'm ok with it; and don't see any point in him not being honest.

And yes (for me) I'm glad he's backing his Manly brothers. That unity is what delivered, and continues to deliver, all of us the success we bask in.

Chip and Chase said:
If Matai has signed a contract and the club wants to enforce it then he should honour it. If Choc doesn't want to be here, then ask for a release and see what they say.
Haha. And if they granted his release ... imagine how offended he'd be!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6