Choc for Captain ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Is it time for a new team Captain

• Yes it's time for Choc to be team captain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No keep Ox there

• Or someone else like Jamie Lyon ?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I honestly don't think Choc has the IQ to be captain.

That's saying something considering i'm comparing him to other football players.

We don't need huge amounts of IQ. I would go with someone who has passion. We never see Ox giving the team a solid fire-up when we are behind. Nothing when we were 14 behind the Knights, nothing when 18 behind the Tiges. I would like to see the captain telling the troops to htfu and put in.

Chosing a captain doesn't necessaily mean you chose the best player in your team..... (insert dumb snipe here about Matt Orford for those inclined....)

The choice of the next Manly Captain is important - although it may not happen for a few years yet.

Before making a choice, it is more important to work out what qualities we want from our captain - perhaps there is too much thought involved for some people......

IMO - the following virtues are required of the Captain of our great club:
1. They MUST have good PR skills to compliment Des' understated nature
2. They must be able to gel with the personality players in the team (Matai, Watmough, Wolfie).  By gel, i don't mean be "best mates", but rather he must have their respect, and be able to give them a spray and have them take him seriously
3. They must be able to warrant their first-team selection voer an extended period
4. They must be a player who will BENEFIT from taking on the role.  The most astute captaincy choices are made where a players game IMPROVES because of the responsibility.  Take the time to compare the relative merits of Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar, Kevin Petersen as cricket captains.  ALl were by far the best players in their respective teams - yet alls truggled under the weight of captaincy and expectation.  I feel that NOT making Shane Warne captain was smart (although i lvoe the bloke).  Ricky Ponting (in my opinion) should NOT be captain - he is our best bat, and should be allowed to focus on batting.... but that is for another forum altogether......
5. They need to be committed to the cause (signed to a longer-term contract)
6. They must portray the kind of imagine that will atrract fans to our game, and gain respect of referees, fans, and opponents
7. They must WANT the job

For mine, the clearest choices we have in our side for captaincy at the moment are (in no particular order):
1. Glenn Stewart
2. Jason King
3. Matt Ballin

Any of those 3 would do a fine job - and would raise their game to a new level, whilst projecting the kind of public persona we require.

Good points Harmless and remember how having the captaincy weighed down Beaver in 2004 (or was 05?).

The minute its taken off him and given to Monas the world comes off Beaver's shoulders, his game improves and the team starts winning again.

Not every player can have that responsibility and continue to play their best game. For this reason alone Des should probably NOT risk having Choc as el capitano....and we know he can be a little "firey" at times (think sponsors launch  ;) ) so he mightn't be too ref-friendly

Undoubtedly Des would know if Choc would suit the role of captain.

I'm firmly in the "no" camp.

The next captain should be either Glenn Stewart or Matty Ballin. I have nothing against the Jason King idea but props just don't spend enough time on the field. Ballins long contract makes me think there's plans afoot.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6