Cherry replacement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sillybus said:
bones said:
DCE has been in first grade for only 4 years. He has played in 2 grand finals. He has won a premiership. He is a Clive Churchill Medallist. He has played State Of Origin football. He has played test football. He is the current Dally M halfback of the year.
Yep. Sounds like he's over-rated. Let's punt him and put an out of position player there.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Best half back in the game and will be for the next 8 or so years. If people dont think he is worth 1.2mil at the moment you can bet your fkn balls he will be in a year or two. I personally believe he can only get better and better than the best is worth that much money.
Good point but do you think by spending the million + price tag we will be able to put the players of the talent we have now around him , which has a hell of a lot to do with his success to date....just look at hoppa jnr has done nothing since leaving us, but was bought on huge money.... Because of great performances along side great players.... Remove the talent and your left with all your eggs in on basket , cowboys are a prime example, shut thurston down and you beat cows.....million + price tag players are expected to deliver week in week out in the nrl pressure cooker..... It's a no from me

There is no right or wrong answer to this; it's just peoples opinion. Time will tell the story one way or the other. I respect those that think he is worth 1.2 million although I choose to think otherwise.

So here is the math. Salary cap is what? 6.2mil for the top 25 players. Lets say DCE is paid 1.2mil rather than 800k like some are suggesting. Thats a difference of 400k. Across the remaining 24 players that would mean a loss of 16,666k less to pay each player. If we pay both DCE and Foz the 1mil march each we will be fine. It may mean we have to fine an extra diamond in the rough but its not the end of the world.

If Manly are smart about how they structure the contract they may be able to make these deals happen.

c eagle said:
Sillybus said:
bones said:
DCE has been in first grade for only 4 years. He has played in 2 grand finals. He has won a premiership. He is a Clive Churchill Medallist. He has played State Of Origin football. He has played test football. He is the current Dally M halfback of the year.
Yep. Sounds like he's over-rated. Let's punt him and put an out of position player there.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Best half back in the game and will be for the next 8 or so years. If people dont think he is worth 1.2mil at the moment you can bet your fkn balls he will be in a year or two. I personally believe he can only get better and better than the best is worth that much money.
Good point but do you think by spending the million + price tag we will be able to put the players of the talent we have now around him , which has a hell of a lot to do with his success to date....just look at hoppa jnr has done nothing since leaving us, but was bought on huge money.... Because of great performances along side great players.... Remove the talent and your left with all your eggs in on basket , cowboys are a prime example, shut thurston down and you beat cows.....million + price tag players are expected to deliver week in week out in the nrl pressure cooker..... It's a no from me

So you're saying cherry plays good because of those around him? Fair statement but I believe they play just as well because cherry and foran organise the troops. He is the best halfback in the game and I think we need to do all we can to keep him a one club legend. Both of them need to stay.

A team with a poor halfback is a bad team as you just said with thurston so wouldnt keeping the best halfback in the game be a no brainer? If he is offered 1mil+ at another club and leaves everyone will have a go at him for being all about the money but if he stays and has an off week everyone will complain about how much he is being payed to perform. I think the 1mil+ pricetag we're offering is to compete with all of the other teams trying to poach our talent because they have none. If we offer him 700k because we think he's only worth that and sharks offer 1.2mil he will leave. I would leave if I was in his shoes. But then if that happens everyone will complain about the club not fronting enough money to keep him on the northern beaches.

1mill each including tpa's 4-5 years with 100k bonus for every GF we win. So if we win in 2015 and 2016 they are on 1.2 each. I'd be happy with that.

So now it's down to ... in Joe Kelly we trust.

As others have mentioned, a $1m plus salary (for DCE or Foz or anyone) and expectations increase massively. An off week is a crisis. And whilst the players are human and can't be up for every game, and can't win every game, if they don't criticism will follow.....that's just life.

I'm undecided on the whole thing. We need to keep DCE and Foz but at reasonable prices. The word reasonable however can mean a thousand things to different people, and there's a huge range. They are worth let's agree more than $500k each, but we wont pay $2m each.....there's a lot of room in there!

Thurston is on 1 mill according to zero tackle. If either of these clowns think they are anywhere NEAR this blokes shadow, then they are kidding themselves.

Thurston in for DCE in the 4 nations, and we win that.

They are about 1/2 the player Thurston is, so should negotiate on that basis.

Clubs show interest in our players and suddenly our players are "clowns"..........nice

IMO if cherry goes i think Foz will play half and Gutherson will be groomed to play 6. Hiku and Tom T to cover Snake.
We can not!! afford to pay overs for both it is simple as that! Another option from outside the club would be Aiden Seizer from the GC. With right conditioning this kid could be anything.

Disco said:
Clubs show interest in our players and suddenly our players are "clowns"..........nice

Yup, sorry, that was wrong, I should have written, either of these clowns MANAGEMENTS. That's what I meant, but typed before brain clicked into 1st gear.

Cooper Cronk is on 625k. He is MUCH better than DCE. MUCH BETTER. Honestly, I think:-

+ DCE - 575k
+ K Foran - 575k

Based upon Cooper's Contract.

Apparently Johnson recently signed a contract for 575k per season (for three years). Panthers were willing to go UP to 700k

Red Pill said:
We can not!! afford to pay overs for both it is simple as that!
With 3rd party deals anything and everything is possible. Ever heard of the Broncos? Roosters? Over to Mr Kelly, and indeed Mr Penn who surely still has some wealthy acquaintances he can lobby. Isn't that how business is done?

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Red Pill said:
We can not!! afford to pay overs for both it is simple as that!
With 3rd party deals anything and everything is possible. Ever heard of the Broncos? Roosters? Over to Mr Kelly, and indeed Mr Penn who surely still has some wealthy acquaintances he can lobby. Isn't that how business is done?

Excellent point sir. Also, I'm sure Kelly achieved 3rd party deals for guys like Burgess / Inglis / Stewart etc.

Ryan said:
Disco said:

Yup, sorry, that was wrong, I should have written, either of these clowns MANAGEMENTS. That's what I meant, but typed before brain clicked into 1st gear.

Cooper Cronk is on 625k. He is MUCH better than DCE. MUCH BETTER. Honestly, I think:-

+ DCE - 575k
+ K Foran - 575k

Apparently Johnson recently signed a contract for 575k per season (for three years). Panthers were willing to go UP to 700k

Nice logic, but the serious flaw in your logic is that the Sharks & Eels don't think logically. They are desperate and will pay ridiculous overs.

Ralphie said:
Ryan said:
Disco said:

+ DCE - 575k
+ K Foran - 575k

Nice logic, but the serious flaw in your logic is that the Sharks & Eels don't think logically. They are desperate and will pay ridiculous overs.

I agree, but as a player, you go to junk, your career slips away into mediocrity (see Justin Poore). Winners want to win, surely?

Ryan said:
Disco said:

+ DCE - 575k
+ K Foran - 575k

Yeah but $625k per contract x 2 contracts = $1.25m. DCE is worth about $1m based on that.

Ryan said:
Disco said:

+ DCE - 575k
+ K Foran - 575k

Yeah but their playing ability is not the only factor which determines their worth, or how much it will cost Manly to keep them. How much other clubs are prepared to offer needs to be factored in to any offer Manly makes, otherwise we will lose both.

And on a similar theme to bones's post, consider the impact if we lost one or both - not only impossible to replace them on the field, but, just as importantly, it will suddenly be far harder to attract good talent to the club without paying through the nose.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4