Cherry replacement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Cliffy said:
Ralphie said:
Jarrod Croker.....LMFAO. That bloke has the worst defence in the game and has glue on his hands that prevents him passing the ball. he is singularly the great HOG in the history of the game. I would honestly rather have Willie Mason at halfback that Croker.........bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha.........

Manly would still make him the best half back in the game. ;-)

Is that you Ricky? Are trying to surreptitiously offload another dud player?

If you want to ditch DCE every time there's a story about some club wanting to sign him, or a comment from his manager about how much he's worth, get a thicker skin.

As for him being overrated, the suggestion that Jarrod Croker could replace him says it all.

Ben Hunt is the only halfback approaching DCE's talent level currently, and for anyone who thinks he'd be much cheaper than DCE - you might not have noticed but he's now in the Kangaroos too.

Penn's aren't stupid, Joe Kelly isn't stupid, Tooves isn't stupid. Of course we need to retain Foran and DCE. Of course every other team will try - some desperately - to lure one of them away. Luckily Foran and DCE aren't stupid either, so I'm quietly confident they'll both be Sea Eagles long term.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
If you want to ditch DCE every time there's a story about some club wanting to sign him, or a comment from his manager about how much he's worth, get a thicker skin.

As for him being overrated, the suggestion that Jarrod Croker could replace him says it all.

Ben Hunt is the only halfback approaching DCE's talent level currently, and for anyone who thinks he'd be much cheaper than DCE - you might not have noticed but he's now in the Kangaroos too.

Penn's aren't stupid, Joe Kelly isn't stupid, Tooves isn't stupid. Of course we need to retain Foran and DCE. Of course every other team will try - some desperately - to lure one of them away. Luckily Foran and DCE aren't stupid either, so I'm quietly confident they'll both be Sea Eagles long term.

How? I think he is overrated, but I never mentioned Jarrod Croker once?

I rate DCE as a fine player, but not of a level that his current profile demands. I think his profile is a media product, not a result of on field performances. He was great in his rookie year, but outside of a bumper run of form at the back end of 2013, I don't think he has been anything more than solid, playing two stand out matches last year (Dogs and Raiders) out of a possible 29 games. It could be that I expect too much of him since his profile is so mighty, but i've seen plenty of better halfbacks in only 16 years of following the game.

DCE or death. lol

Look, if you want a top quality, extremely tough and intelligent halfback in the future, you better get some boots on the ground and start looking in CQ. That's where the best footy halves come from. Why? Because it's a tough area to grow up in. It's a tough region to learn your trade. You have to be smart or get clobbered every game. CQ boys in the NRL are funnier, tougher, smarter, more talented and way more relaxed and easy going. That combination makes them successful.

I must agree that the current figures quoted seem on the high side to me. To reach Most Money in the Game status, I reckon you have to be the player that opposition players, staff, and fans all hold their breath when you get the ball because there's always a chance you'll turn the game. For me, that's the likes of Andrew Johns, Bozo, SBW, Inglis, Slater, Jonathon Thurston, Alfie Langer, Wally Lewis, Darren Lockyer, Cliffy Lyons, Jarryd Hayne, etc.
For me, DCE isn't close.

We could all take a leaf out of Fiona Apple's book. While all the chaos and destruction of our team (real or perceived) is going on all around us, we need to know that as Manly fans, we'll be just fine and will carry on our winning ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ5WPXxNzPU

Budgewoi Eagle said:
I must agree that the current figures quoted seem on the high side to me. To reach Most Money in the Game status, I reckon you have to be the player that opposition players, staff, and fans all hold their breath when you get the ball because there's always a chance you'll turn the game. For me, that's the likes of Andrew Johns, Bozo, SBW, Inglis, Slater, Jonathon Thurston, Alfie Langer, Wally Lewis, Darren Lockyer, Cliffy Lyons, Jarryd Hayne, etc.
For me, DCE isn't close.
From your list, these are no longer playing: Johns, Bozo, SBW, Langer, Lewis, Lockyer, Cliffy, Hayne

That leaves Inglis, Slater, & Thurston, none of whom are coming off contract. Throw Smith in there as well.

Bearing in mind his young age and the key position he plays, I am not surprised in the least about the figures bandied about (and that's all they are, bandied about), nor about the suggestion his next contract could make him the game's highest paid player.

Are you Gavin Orr CIG?

All this thread does it emphasise how hard DCE is to replace.

He is the only first tier half available. There are no second tier halves available so we are left the rustle up a third or fourth tier half. We might just be able to get away with that if we keep Foz, but if not...

Yeah, keep it dark fellas!! As far as I'm aware, no other club has twigged that DCE is coming off contract yet. The last thing we need is to draw attention to the fact. You all know that every sports journo alive visits here.

Get rid of this thread STAT!

Right. Now the sarcasm is out of the way, where do you think players like DCE and Hunt come from??? Forget the CQ angle. They aren't just spawned overnight.

They are out there playing bush footy as 16/17 year olds right now in both Qld and NSW and probably other States too. So, did Manly really think DCE would stay here forever, or play forever, or have they been smart enough to find some young talent, lock them up and nurture them??

It's really not that hard to spot talent at a young age. Why aren't we able to do it? Why aren't our lower grades brimming with talent? Any young bloke would jump at the chance to be part of the most dominant team of the last 10 years. Manly should have people across both States watching games, talking with young players and their families and pushing hard to get them on board. This mentality of grow your own talent and produce players locally first and foremost is complete and utter bullsh1t.

If the club wants, and although it would piss a few people off locally, I'd be proud to freely represent Manly in CQ. I'll video bush footy throughout CQ, interview the talented players and their families and submit all findings to the club. It won't cost the club a cent. Give me a business card and watch me go! I'm sure there are others that would do the same in other areas.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Budgewoi Eagle said:
For me, DCE isn't close.
From your list, these are no longer playing: Johns, Bozo, SBW, Langer, Lewis, Lockyer, Cliffy, Hayne

That leaves Inglis, Slater, & Thurston, none of whom are coming off contract. Throw Smith in there as well.

Bearing in mind his young age and the key position he plays, I am not surprised in the least about the figures bandied about (and that's all they are, bandied about), nor about the suggestion his next contract could make him the game's highest paid player.

Sorry SER8, always thought you were one of the smart ones on here. Yep, I am aware that these people no longer play. Thanks anyway.
My point was simply that he is not of the ilk that has others trembling. I think his biggest development has already happened and unless Choc was putting him completely off his game, I can't see him getting to the level I described. To me he has very good skills but fits more into the 'book learner' category than the type of player who has the ability, every time, when the game is moving all around him to see what the great play would be.
I do hope I'm wrong because I think he is an outstanding young man who brings a great deal to the club.

PS: I know I could have put plenty of others in the list but I really need to add Sterlo - he had it all.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
Sorry SER8, always thought you were one of the smart ones on here.
And you are 100% correct, of course. ;)
And while I don't really disagree with your list of dominant players, that does not always equate to the highest contracts at any given time. The MVP may not be the one who is paid most, for that is all a matter of timing and a matter of supply and demand.

DCE has been in first grade for only 4 years. He has played in 2 grand finals. He has won a premiership. He is a Clive Churchill Medallist. He has played State Of Origin football. He has played test football. He is the current Dally M halfback of the year.
Yep. Sounds like he's over-rated. Let's punt him and put an out of position player there.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Snake said:
i've seen plenty of better halfbacks in only 16 years of following the game.

And how many of those are currently available for Manly to sign?

It's not of matter of who is available to sign, it's a matter of is he worth over a mil and upwards of 1.5 mil and in my opinion that is NO. It's only my opinion, take it or leave it.

I'd pay a mil for Foz and find a cheap foil for him to just kick the ball and direct the forwards. We r Manly and we'll survive without DCE.

bones said:
DCE has been in first grade for only 4 years. He has played in 2 grand finals. He has won a premiership. He is a Clive Churchill Medallist. He has played State Of Origin football. He has played test football. He is the current Dally M halfback of the year.
Yep. Sounds like he's over-rated. Let's punt him and put an out of position player there.

You can be a great player and still be overrated. I'm not saying he is not a very fine footballer, but if he is valued at 1.2 million plus, then I think he is over paid for his contributions.

He was great in his rookie year, but I'm not blown away by his performances in Origin or for Aus. He ran into form at the back end of 2013 but seems to have plateaued out. I'd love him to stay, but he is no messiah in my very humble opinion, just a really good footballer on his day.

Snake said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Snake said:

It's not of matter of who is available to sign, it's a matter of is he worth over a mil and upwards of 1.5 mil and in my opinion that is NO. It's only my opinion, take it or leave it.

I'd pay a mil for Foz and find a cheap foil for him to just kick the ball and direct the forwards. We r Manly and we'll survive without DCE.

Yep, you're right we will survive... Just won't be as good without him.

the mauler said:
Snake said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Snake said:

Yep, you're right we will survive... Just won't be as good without him.
We have survived in the past without great players, test players and immortals and we have continued to win premierships . DCE is a fine player but he is only one fine feather in the Sea eagles wings !!!

bones said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Best half back in the game and will be for the next 8 or so years. If people dont think he is worth 1.2mil at the moment you can bet your fkn balls he will be in a year or two. I personally believe he can only get better and better than the best is worth that much money.

mozgrame said:
DCE or death. lol

Look, if you want a top quality, extremely tough and intelligent halfback in the future, you better get some boots on the ground and start looking in CQ. That's where the best footy halves come from. Why? Because it's a tough area to grow up in. It's a tough region to learn your trade. You have to be smart or get clobbered every game. CQ boys in the NRL are funnier, tougher, smarter, more talented and way more relaxed and easy going. That combination makes them successful.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...... ok thanks, I needed that ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8