1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central Coast Mariners want to play A-League match out of Brookie Oval

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ManlyArmy, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ManlyArmy

ManlyArmy Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +939 / 23
    THE Central Coast Mariners have held talks with the Manly Sea Eagles to play an A-League match out of Brookvale Oval next season.

However, the rare joining of forces by the two rival codes could lead to much more than just a one-off game.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/the-central-coast-mariners-want-to-play-an-aleague-match-out-of-brookvale-oval/story-e6frf3ru-1226834677330?from=public_rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Interesting, A-League teams have 13 home games, if they moved 3 games to Brookie, plus Warringah Council sold the naming rights, and we get the proposed $10M upgrade good ol' Tony, we should be playing at Brookie long into the future.

IMO, for the upgrade, if they could:

-add 1,000 seats to the Jane Try Stand
    - upgrade the dugout to a more modern facitily
    - add another 500-700 seats at the bottom of the F-M Stand.
    - increase the size of the hill
    - Make the changerooms bigger
    - More toilets
    - Improve the drainage of the pitch

Then maybe, just maybe we should be allowed to continue at the Fortress!

• Like Like x 1
  2. mickqld

mickqld Sack Greenslime 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +3,750 / 57
    CCM is struggling for crowd support up there and there is a huge soccer following on the northside that dont want to follow Sydney FC or the Wanderers. It could be a very beneficial partnership between the 2 clubs and we must try to embrace the entire northern Sydney region right up to Swansea.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ManlyArmy

Ratings:
    +939 / 23
    A partnership between the 2 clubs could work very well. Could offe 10-20% off tickets for Manly members for Mariners games and vice-versa.

4. PONTIAN SEA EAGLE

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +948 / 80
    If they can't get support up there what makes them think they'll get it in sydney.Are they persuming supporters from sydney fc or the wanderers may jump ship & start supporting the mariners.

I don't think so i know i'll never stop supporting my beloved sydney fc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mickqld

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +3,750 / 57
    They need to change their name and colours. Central Coast Sea Eagles in maroon and white. We need to expand the Sea eagles brand and with 800000 people living north of the harbour to the outskirts of Newcastle we need to embrace the entire territory.

6. ManlyArmy

Ratings:
    +939 / 23
    The Mariners got a crowd of over 7,000 for a Tuesday night game at North Sydney, I don't think they will struggle with crowd numbers.

7. mickqld

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +3,750 / 57
    Plenty of soccer people in Sydney not aligned to Sydney FC (city side) or Wanderers (Westies). A better name would be Man(ly) United Red Devils

8. Bearfax

Bearfax Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,660 / 75
    An A League soccer club has made Kogarah Oval their home track so its not new. Personally I think the more codes that play at Brookie, the more chance there is of getting the upgrades that are needed. Much more political and fan punch. I'm for it.

9. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,766 / 72
    Plus the new Rugby comp below super 15 where Manly and the Rats team together will also play out of Brookie I understand - looking at a pretty good argument for it becoming a state trust run ground IMO

10. Pommie Eagle

Pommie Eagle Active Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +101 / 3
    Can only be a good thing for the development of Brookie and as mentioned if the second tier Northern Suburbs union team play some games out of Brookie, more exposure and more potential funding...
    As for whether Sydney can support (only 3?) more games in Sydney I think there is massive untapped support on the Beaches - plenty of people wanting to go to games but can't be arsed for the trip to SFS or out west - sound familiar.....?

• Like Like x 1
  11. faithful

faithful Active Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 7
    CCM are poison at the moment please do not touch them , the owner is getting desperate . Money is a massive issue with them , please stay clear.

12. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,486 / 42
    First of all Dave Smith can go and get f*****, if he thinks we will all be playing out of three stadiums. Won't happen.
    All for the Mariners mob to play out of Brookie.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ManlyArmy

Ratings:
    +939 / 23
    My 3 stadiums: ANZ, Allianz and Brookie :p

• Like Like x 2
  14. StuBoot

StuBoot Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +796 / 7
    Victory and the Storm both use AAMI Park - although that is a new stadium.
    With A-League in summer and NRL and union in winter it makes sense as the asset is being used almost all year round by national televised competitions.

15. Duff

Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +555 / 10
    It would be interesting to go to Brookie and boo the home side.

Mariners can eat a bag of wanderers but if Brookie can make money from them, we'll take it.
    My only issue is that I don't like this supposed symbiotic relationship between the Northern Beaches and the Central Coast. Call me a snob but it's a bit offensive. It was a bad idea before the Northern Eagles and a worse one now. We are from Sydney. The leafy North of Sydney. Not Blacktown by the sea.

16. Daddycool08

Daddycool08 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4
    I agree.

The three stadia is a ridiculous idea. Unless one of them is Brookvale.

Doesn't the CEO understand the tribalism of this game. After all he has a funny accent from the Old Dart and would understand the same tribalism abounds in English soccer as it does in rugby league.

If Manly aren't playing out of Brookvale they may lose their identity.

17. ssar

ssar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +206 / 4
    Whilst I shudder at the initial thought of letting a gaygame (read: the world game of football) upon the hallowed turf of Brookvale Oval, if a beneficial relationship can be developed whereby Brookvale Oval gains significant improvement, and the Maroon & White / Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Rugby League Brookie identity remains true or flourishes even better, then it's worth considering.

Due care had better be used when even examining such an option with the risk of the gaygame club failing financially etc.

18. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,799 / 58
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.......

Whatever it takes to keep games at brookie is ok by me *

*don't live in the area so my thoughts on the subject may be oversimplified....
    like most of my thoughts.

Would like to get the 10 mill from wing nut and some assurances from pommy assed smith about future directions.

19. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +829 / 10