Central Coast Challenge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I can't believe that intelligent people give the Central Coast discussion any credence. 

Taking Manly to the Central Coast as a "good business move" is tantamount to Coca Cola deciding to sell aniseed arsenic in their bottles to drum up additional business.

Mayer has just bought in millions of dollars of sponsorship making us the best sponsored club in the entirety of Sydney, and we have the lowest overheads of any club at our Stadium, with a break-even crowd being less than 6,000.

We are probably the strongest side in Sydney for dollars, demographics and exposure, why would we of all Sydney clubs go there when we've already tried it and failed?

Plus, as my protagonist Cliffy GC continually points out - the football club has the casting vote on this issue and will never allow it.

So my challenge to you fellows who keep bringing it up is - give us some good reason why Manly on the Central Coast should enjoy any oxygen as an issue?

How many people would go to see the Central coast eagles
most of em want the central coast bears or a completely new franchise

I was undecided about where things stood in this split in the owners but this 'furphy' has pushed me to thinking that Max is dangerous for our club and now involved in power-play as akin to what is best for the club.

Penn was guilty of going to the media (though they probably came to him) but he and Peters have asked Max to pay up money that was owed and supported the person they think is the best CEO. It wasn't personal at that point from what I could see.

The Central Coast move is just a red herring being used as leverage in a very public p1ssing contest between two egos.

I'd love to know what the bottom line in all this is............surely it couldn't just be a battle to get grubby hands on the leagues club land could it ? I can't see how they would be going hammer and tongs at each other just to have control over the Sea Eagles, it's not a money making investment by any stretch of the imagination.

If it's about the Leagues Club then perhaps there is an edge to Max' desperation.  Maybe the recession has hit him harder than some people think. 

Matabele, maybe it's a love for Manly and where people want to go with that.  Not everything's about money.  Canteen, 'Max is dangerous for our club'!  What's this all about?  Just put down your drums guys and take a deep breath.  Stop with the agendas and relax.  It'll work itself out.   

Personal vendettas that affect the runnings of the club are dangerous. If what he is reported to have said is true, he is saying one thing publicly and another thing privately. A personal vendetta to get rid of those of opposing views is potentially dangerous.

Bailing Manly out 7 years ago, does not give someone the right to put personal above the larger good of the club.  I have no agenda except what is best for 'my' football team. I haven't to believe that Mayer is part of that good.

Canteen, I agree that personal vendettas are dangerous.  However to suggest that Max is the only 'danger' to the club is preposterous.  I'm sure that Max firmly believes he's doing what he considers 'best' for the club.  And 'bailing out' the club surely is disingenuous, 'saving' is more the truth.  What is 'reported' to be said by the protagonists and their supporters can be taken with a grain as far as I'm concerned.  Plenty, from both factions, is 'reported' to be said but scepticism should be applied to it all.  With regard to Zorba, as I've stated in the past, if he is employed by the club then he should keep his mouth firmly closed when asked for a comment regarding Board members.  He seems to be hiding behind a 'journalists hat' at the moment.  Irresponsible, unprofessional and surely, untenable.   

So if Max chipped in $4m in 2004, how long does that give him the saving hero for?  Keep in mind that there were other options at the time - albeit maybe not as lucrative, but nonetheless, enough that Delmege was not the *only* lifeline out there.

And how much has he contributed since on a day to day basis?  He's sponsored the club and probably done quite well out of that while it's been on the rise.  But it seems in recent weeks he has held a gun to the club;s head by not paying his bills and, when his bluff on that was called, has conspired to knife the CEO who has only been trying to put the interests of the club first (and collect monies payable).

The Board's role is to make policies and appoint the CEO to get on with the job of management.  Now that they've seen fit to remove a CEO that is generally regarded as excellent, they should not be surprised that people are demaning an explanation.

The money max 'chipped' in in 2004, saved our arses full stop.  He's a Manly hero because of it.  If there were other 'lifelines' out there at the time it wasn't reported or acknowledged.  We all loved him for it then, and shouldn't throw stones at him now.  Whatever 'seems' to have occurred at the board level may or may not be kosher, who knows? certainly not you Matas, or others hell bent on making ill-informed comments that just inflame this blog.  It does seem to me to be a fact that Mayer saw fit to not re-sign past October 09.  That 'seems' to be the only fact we know for certain.  If that was his decision, then fair enough.  It's his right to not re-sign, not ours to bully the board into begging him to reconsider.  As I've said, CEOs come and go, they don't have to stay.  Another person will arise who will carry on the excellent work that's gone before.         

Listen 'sweetheart' that article acknowledges that Max saved the club.  End of story.  Sure the Penns are saying in the article that they are the latter day saints, but when the club was insolvent it was Max who put up the cash, the Penn's didn't.  Let's not denigrate Max's contribution by smearing his name and referring to him being 'dangerous' etc.  The board should tell Peters to keep his gob shut or piss off. 

Caught in your own trap sweetheart - your memory is poor if you don't remember the lead up to Max' privatisation and the role of Penn Sport in precipitating it.

But here's a question for you - in an entity with a turnover of $14m pa, how long would you expect $4m would provide "untouchable status" for?  I'd suggest the sunset clause expired quite a while ago.

Mata, I'm not caught up in any trap mate.  That's the problem with this ongoing saga, the point-scoring and pettiness.  What I do recall is that Max offered more than the Penns, full stop.  At the time of the rescue they didn't come back with more, and they could have.  He's been the major sponsor until this year.  Four  million out of fourteen million (and I would suspect that four mill is understated) gives a whole lot of 'untouchable' about it, moreso than anyone else in my opinion.  The reality of the whole situation is that Delmege saved the club when it was going under, that's an undisputed reality which many don't want to admit.  Peters is disloyal to the board, that's another reality.  Mayer is the one that does not want to continue beyond this season.  That's another reality.  Now lets see what transpires this week shall we?           

What the article (and many others from the time) shows is that Delmege was not the *only* saviour and that one moment of apparent largesse depreciates significantly over time. 

However, let us see what transpires this week.  If we think it is going to go away, or that a Bob Reilly penned letter of "explanation" will make everything make sense, then I think we may have another thing coming. 

Incidentally, back to the first post, noone has put forward a realistic explanation for the CC assertion made my Delmege (and subsequently pulled) in today's online press. 

Maybe Max truly thinks/believes the Penns might take the club to the CC if they have control.  Maybe, just maybe, he might be correct.  Maybe Max thinks by raising this issue he will get some admissions that if they get control they won't.  Who knows Mata?  Conspiracy theories abound.  'Apparent largesse'.  Jesus Christ Mata.  You've never recognized the value of Max's four million plus.  He gave the dough when others may have come forward.  The Penns didn't, but could have, but didn't, but could have...The man deserves recognition and respect for saving our club with the money, I couldn't have.  End of story.   

I agree with both of you for certain points here, but I think the points over all that you are actually debating are both irrelevant and counter productive to the argument at hand.

First of all I couldn't agree more with DSM5 on the point that this entire thing has way too much "Chalk another one up for me" point scoring on both sides and i think such things provide nothing to the argument apart from deepening the divide.

I think there are 2 business men here, and 2 factions that need to go back to the table and nut out issues and stop the escalating school yard battle.

That part I think needs to be left to them!

For mine the issue is the representatives of the football club members and by a slight separation the fans and supporters (although we have no rights here without being FC members)  and their decision that clearly by the large majority outcry on the issue, is not a reflection of the wider supporters of the club.

Rather than us fighting between ourselves we should be fighting together to have the question of "Why was the decision made?" and "what was the reasoning?"  in particular these should be asked of the FC board reps, and this is where I ask each of you focus you energy. All other points are pretty much moot beyond that, who is right who is wrong will only be evident once we know the reasoning surely?

To my knowledge the people responsible for the decisions have not come out and given their reasoning, whether they have to is a different question, but I think they should, or at least they should explain to the FC members, from there the vote holding FC members can either agree or disagree and from there perhaps put a vote of no confidence forward to remove and replace those FC Board reps if required.

I will also mention that there have been some dangerous precedence set by Delmege and his tinkering in things he really shouldn't tinker with, and this is something that worries me more than anything else.

As for the FC board members, I have to say I really don't know either personally nor their agenda but I do believe they owe us all an explanation

DSM5 link said:
Maybe Max truly thinks/believes the Penns might take the club to the CC if they have control.  Maybe, just maybe, he might be correct.  Maybe Max thinks by raising this issue he will get some admissions that if they get control they won't.   Who knows Mata?  Conspiracy theories abound.  'Apparent largesse'.  Jesus Christ Mata.  You've never recognized the value of Max's four million plus.  He gave the dough when others may have come forward.  The Penns didn't, but could have, but didn't, but could have...The man deserves recognition and respect for saving our club with the money, I couldn't have.  End of story.   
Respect and recognition for saving the club - yes. But noone has the right to ongoing plaudits, without recognition.

George Piggins is rightly credited with saving Souths but when his usefulness had passed it was 'sayonara'. That paper article today has me thinking that Max is now playing power games rather than seeking what is best for the club.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4