1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ca't beat penalties

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by The Who, Aug 16, 2013.

1. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,840 / 103
    No team will beat another top side with a lopsided 5 - 10 penalty count.
    The boys played very well. Souffs just had all the ball in the second half.
    Not a disaster. The refs may put away the whistle in the finals and allow the players to decide the outcome.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Technical Coach

Technical Coach Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +863 / 45
    We have to push the boundaries more in slowing the play the ball due to the size differential and most not all were deserving penalties. I do agree though that it makes it hard to win a game but it was not the reason why.

3. Clint

Clint . Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 14
    Ironically I am more confident of a premiership in 2013 than what I was before the game. The better team lost, but only on the scoreboard. We will be back.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eagle66

eagle66 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +273 / 11
    After 20 minutes, I thought the refs had put the whistle away, silly me, it was Souths playing, wasn't it.

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    Wow, I can'y believe how delusional we can be. We were beaten by a better side, just like we have been every time we have played a top 4 team this season.

Souffs were a weakened team with Burgess out and Sutton and Inglis nobbled and this is the result.

6. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    You must me a happy man after the past 6 weeks Ralphie

7. Eagles2nv

Eagles2nv New Team, New Beginnings 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,410 / 35
    While it wasn't our best game its hard to gain possession against a lop sided penalty count.

We will bounce back against raiders next week.

8. eagle66

eagle66 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +273 / 11
    Didn't see Souths as a weakened team. Having so many big men, Sam Burgess was not missed one bit and Sutton And Inglis were powering on in the last 20 minutes, far from being passengers.

9. IQofalimabean

IQofalimabean Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 11
    The penalty count was 9-3 up to the 71 minute. The refs had their grubby hands all over the match.

10. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,404 / 130
    We need to be much smarter when it comes to penalties.

11. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,625 / 132
    pretty much how i feel as well, the finals arn't as blatantly badly reffed

12. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +829 / 10
    Wasn;t just the penalties. Some of the other calls were terrible & we never got ruck penalties to mirror the ones Souths got.

Jamie B had the ball stripped out when he was on the Souths goal line just before halftime.

In the 2nd half that knock on call that gave Souths a scrum inside our 20m & a try to Merrit was from a Manly player knocking the arm not the ball.

Snake dived on a ball just outside the goal line & a Souths player put a hand on him to effect a tackle, then another pushed him into the ingoal.

All wrong calls & I haven;t even got to Matai no try & the dragging players into touch.

• Like Like x 1
  13. conanu

conanu Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,839 / 31
    5 Penalties to Souths on the First tackle coming out of their 22. At the very time we had acendency and were trying to build pressure. It let Souths win the yardage battle without lifting a finger whilst they were in trouble. We couldnt score and when Souths a had 47 sets on our line in the second half we burned all our fuel and that was the result. Souths should be worried if we get them Rd 1of the finals, we were by far the better side if penalties were even.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brissie Kid

Ratings:
    +829 / 10

15. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,840 / 103
    Again, I say RL needs to reduce the impact of penalties by only giving the team another set of six, not the kick into touch. Only for foul play should it be a kick as well as a full set.

16. weev

weev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +684 / 17
    Must be smart on the turnaround plays.

Apart from Souffs great goal line drop out, the numerous drag/push/carries into touch was more than I have seen for a long time. That move snuffed out the attack like 20 dogs pissing on a redhead match.

17. Brissie Kid

Ratings:
    +829 / 10
    Never happen. The boffins inside NRL HQ are all convinced lessening the punishment will lead to more players deliberately breaking rules. Fact is the heavy penalty encourages "milking" penalties from duped referees but they will never see that line of thinking.

18. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    there were no penalties in the game for the first 8 or 9 minutes and manly were killing it.I We got the first for the leg twist that was called a head shot by the ref, and they got the next 5 in about the next 10 minutes. I was wondering if the refs swapped around at that point. I didnt notice but it was like a different game.

19. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    What makes everyone think the refereeing will be any better next time we play them ?? Some teams are allowed to push the limits........unfortunately we aren't one of those with a green light.

20. Jonesy072

Jonesy072 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Manly had there chances and a better kicking game most of the match but Souths were just better. Refs were pretty good tonight.