Castleford rule out Menzies but flag more foreign raids

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/castleford-rule-out-menzies-but-flag-more-foreign-raids/2008/06/21/1214009170014.html

ENGLISH club Castleford have pulled out of the running to lure Manly's Steve Menzies to the Super League.

Menzies, 34, is in the twilight of his career, but was considered a desirable signing by Castleford, whose roster includes former Bulldogs halfback Brett Sherwin. But the club has changed its priorities.

"Steve Menzies is the consummate professional, a class player and tremendous person … he'd be great for any club over here," said Castleford's manager, Mick Robinson. "In the end, we had to look at a few things. We have to look at filling other positions."

Menzies is expected to be pursued by the Leigh Centurions (based in outer Manchester) if they are named as one of the two teams Super League intends to include under expansionary plans.

Leigh, the Wales-based Celtic Crusaders, Salford, Widnes Featherstone, Halifax and Toulouse from France are all in contention.

Robinson said regardless of which franchise was included in the competition, it would mean an even greater demand for quality NRL players. "They'll be wanting results quick, so they'll want to sign the best players available, and that will mean the NRL," he said.

St George-Illawarra's Jason Ryles (Catalans) and Parramatta's Chad Robinson (London) are the latest players to join the Aussie exodus to cashed-up northern hemisphere clubs.

So far this year, 11 players have signed with the Super League. They include representative players Danny Buderus, Ryles and Michael Crocker.

However, former Australian winger Matt King, who signed a multimillion-dollar deal with Warrington, is proof that while England might be paved with gold, it is still a challenge for NRL stars. While King starred for the Melbourne Storm, he admits he has struggled to come to terms with the English lifestyle.

Former England star Gary Schofield has slammed the form of King and fellow Aussie import Michael Monaghan, even going so far as to label King one of the worst overseas signings in the history of Super League.

Lets hope they make raid on our NSW cup side.  Deadwood, NBQ, Robson and Halden are avialble for ESL.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=deadlyeagle link=topic=177692.msg187540#msg187540 date=1214112069]

Former England star Gary Schofield has slammed the form of King and fellow Aussie import Michael Monaghan,

I just love that sentence!
[/quote]
so so predictable Mr Runner

i saw that sentence and i thought how long will it take for u to latch on to it.

If Beaver doesn't want to go around for another year with us, I hope the new clubs coming into the ESL competition start a bidding war for his services and he secures a huge deal. If anyone deserves to cash in it's Beaver!!

You do know Mata that Schofield has bagged nearly every Australian player that has gone to England in the past 20 or so years, i think Kenny and Barrett are the only 2 he has given credit too

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2