Cashed up Titans hunting NRL best young Talent

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
With a bigger war chest than Manly, the Titans are looking to further recruit for 2016 and are specifically after young players that will be future representative stars, to play alongside there already experienced older

team members. It's a good approach, Manly should be re-signing our young talent pool a.s.a.p to avoid a bidding war with other NRL teams looking to poach the turbo brothers, Gutherson, Sao etc. Might be hard to get Elgey if that is their approach. They have money, and they won't young star players. Article attached below.

NRL clubs be warned, the Gold Coast Titans are hunting the scalps of your best young players.

Chris Garry and Todd Balym Exclusive
The Courier-Mail
March 22, 2015 11:00PM

The NRL-backed Titans are going on a recruitment spree and The Courier-Mail can reveal the club’s Daly Cherry-Evans endorsed hit list.

Coach Neil Henry and recruitment chief Jamie Mathiou are targeting players in their early 20’s who are considered future representative stars.

Mathiou is the club’s first full time recruitment manager and he has already helped secure arguably the club’s greatest signing in Cherry-Evans.

The Gold Coast have at least $2 million to spend in their cap even after their $1m a year splurge on Cherry-Evans.

Their next priorities are Rabbitohs revelation Alex Johnston, St George Illawarra sensation Euan Aitken, young Broncos props Joe Ofahengaue, Francis Molo and George Fai and future Origin centre Dane Gagai.

646061-b1263b72-d06e-11e4-9cb0-ca25d560d473.jpg

Euan Aitken produced a stunning debut on Saturday.

There will be an overhaul of the Titans roster for 2016 with Cherry-Evans to be joined by at least two more representative-quality players.

The Titans are fighting three other clubs for the signature of Johnston, one of the most exciting talents in the NRL.

The 20-year-old is already among the NRL’s best wingers and was selected in Australia’s Four Nations squad last year.

Souths are nervous that Johnston’s desire to be a permanent fullback will see him leave Redfern as there is no chance of him usurping Greg Inglis.

The Titans have met with Johnston’s manager Clinton Schifcofske regarding his client’s next contract but an offer is yet to be made.

Any offer will depend on whether they secure the services of Gagai and Aitken as centre is the Titans’ major roster hole.

Aitken, 19, was brilliant in his first game for the Dragons in their win over Canberra with coach Paul McGregor rating his 192 metre effort one of the best debuts he’s witnessed.

Benji Marshall rates him the best teenager in the NRL.

646089-bf5494dc-d06e-11e4-9cb0-ca25d560d473.jpg

Joe Ofahengaue has been churning out big stats for Brisbane. Picture: Peter Wallis

Gagai is seriously considering spurning Wayne Bennett and joining the Titans and has been impressed with their negotiations so far.

While coach Henry would not be drawn on individual talents he revealed the club now had a youth policy and confirmed there would be further roster change.

“We’re trying to recruit, with Jamie Mathiou, young players for the future around a nucleus of older guys we’ve got here that have got the experience,” Henry said.

“There’s no doubt there is a changeover in players and that will continue like it does at a lot of clubs.

“We’ve had a little bit of movement this year and there will be a little bit more next year with the nucleus of the players staying.

“That recruitment is an ongoing process and we just get on with our footy in the meantime.”

While Cherry-Evans is being asked for advice on potential recruits he is not making offers to his NRL brethren.

The Knights are furious that Cherry-Evans contacted Gagai about coming to the Gold Coast but Henry said the issue had been blown out of proportion.

“I think Dane Gagai was just something Cherry-Evans makes a call about because they know each other,” Henry said.

“He is not recruiting on behalf of us. Players talk all the time.

“There was a bit of publicity around it and it was motivated that way and I don’t think there is anything in it.”

WISH LIST

Alex Johnston

Club: Rabbitohs

Position: Wing/fullback

Dane Gagai

Club: Knights

Position: Centre

Euan Aitken

Club: Dragons

Position: Centre

Jo Ofahengaue

Club: Broncos

Position: Prop

Francis Molo

George Fai

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...st-young-players/story-fniabrr8-1227273645244

Last edited by a moderator:
It warms my heart that on the very day they release this crap, Euan Aitken re-signs with the dragons for a bunch of years. Here's hoping they get none of these targets and fold by 2018.

So Cherry-Evans will be their captain, chief talent scout and recruitment officer as well.

No wonder they are paying his $1.3m a year if he is doing several jobs.

Very amateurish telling every CEO who the Titans are after. I would expect clubs to re-sign all good players on upgraded contracts shortly and the titans will end up with none of them.

He will be under huge pressure for the new few years trying to make to titans competative. Good luck with that and I hope that he is prepared for the **** storm he will cop when they fold again next time

The salary cap in the NRL is designed to make some clubs more equal than others.

That they can be so deep in debt for so long and then have the NRL just allow them to rape and pillage with the NRL money as well as questionable deals is just ridiculous.

They have set a precedent that any NRL club can just spend themselves into the ground and the NRL will bail them out, be interesting if the same situation happens to us

it still amazes me that the last 2 years they have had major drama,s,one being over the cap and they lose points and get fined, the club was dying,the drug scandal,and now the NRL help them get DCE with a massive contract,and yet they still have 2 million dollars left in their war chest, that,ll do me. Someone told me yesterday that rugby league will be dead in 10 years,with these 3 clowns running the show,Im starting to believe them,its a bloody joke

It still amuses me that the NRL. See it as a heartland yes this is the 4th geneation of failed or struggling clubs to play out of the GC.

Someone remind me of the definition of insanity again

It still amuses me that the NRL. See it as a heartland yes this is the 4th geneation of failed or struggling clubs to play out of the GC.

Never-ending Repeatability Loop (NRL)

This propping up of the Gold Coast is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever seen in supporting rugby league. How does a team and a club that has brought so much disrepute to the game deserve to be in a position to sign someone like DCE who was brought through the juniors at manly. Unbelievable.

I'll give you the definition of an oxymoron. Cashed up Titans!

What an absolute farce, maybe the NRL should help pay the money the titans owes to just about everyone. The leagues club alone ripped off half of the GC. The sooner this mob folds the better IMO.

Very amateurish telling every CEO who the Titans are after. I would expect clubs to re-sign all good players on upgraded contracts shortly and the titans will end up with none of them.

Smoke and mirrors perhaps? Maybe, just maybe, they are not the droids they're looking for? While CEO's are busily wrapping up the guys mentioned in teh article the Tits are sneaking under their guard and signing other kids...

Or, going on the history of the Gold Coast franchise, they'll buy washed up ex stars for massive overs on non-incentive based contracts and wonder why they suck... Again!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4