1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cartwright to the dogs?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Clay, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +968 / 40
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/bbc1f5c72436dd4d31dc35827026247b

"Ivan Cleary and John Cartwright are ready to step into Des Hasler’s shoes should Canterbury cut loose their high-profile coach.

It’s understood both are eager to take over the reins at Belmore if the board and Hasler part ways."

People's thoughts on this?
    I swear I read an article yesterday saying Cartwright is more then just an assistant at Manly.

If he is already looking elsewhere show him the door now imo. We need stability in our club not people searching for there next gig

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Clever Clever x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Active Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 5
    True that!! Brad Arthur comes to mind!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,783 / 100
    Whilst it is no secret that I believe Barrett deserves to be given an other year to prove himself, I don't think he has gotten much help from Cartwright..... let him go.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Supernintendo Chalmers

Supernintendo Chalmers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +401 / 6
    Heard from a few usually reliable people that Cartwright got the tap on shoulder a couple of weeks ago saying services no longer required.
    I'd be surprised though if dogs go for that combo. If they give Cleary the job the assistant would surely be Dymock after all this flapping around of 'coaching staff not getting the DNA of the club' seems like thats the line they're pushing through the media to justify the coaching clearout.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,353 / 111
    I won't stand in his way if he wants to leave-
    Manly fans.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. madmax

madmax Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +569 / 63
    With the team we're building for next year.......I think easy top 4 with Des at the helm & Trent assisting! Just my opinion!!

• Optimistic x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Dislike x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  7. TimmyQ

TimmyQ Active Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 10
    Regardless of what people think of Des I guarantee you we are 50% more likely to make the 8 next year if he's running the show. Our club needs really strong uncompromising leaders that the players look up to and are willing to bust a gut to get the win. For all the Trent talk 'He's a great coach' we get fed by the players I just don't think he's got that respect. And without it you can have all the theoretical knowledge in the world but ure not gonna win comps. Big Mal wasn't much of a theoretical coach when it came down to tactics strategies structures with QLD - Michael Hagan was apparently the brains trust. But Mal was the leader and the bloke no player wanted to look in the eye if they hadn't played 100%

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  8. maxta

maxta Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Toowoomba, Queensland
    Ratings:
    +2,355 / 56
    Of all the New Manly personal that fans have complained about, personally think its Cartwright by a length and a half over Myles as worst buy in 2016.
    Barrett for all his "Yes Nah" & "I was happy with that game, they never stopped trying" after losing by a cricket score....had a fair few obstacles in his first year & I think apart from his post game circus speeches, is a better coach than most think.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. TimmyQ

TimmyQ Active Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 10
    Based on.......

10. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,825 / 53
    Barrett is too nice a bloke to be a good NRL coach imo. I thought it before he came here and his performance in 2016 only reinforced my opinion.

All successful coaches have a bit of mongrel in them - Bennett, Bellamy, Maguire, Robinson, Hasler all have a dark side, and you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of them. As did Bozo and so did Tooves by the way.

Manly had its best performances this year when Barrett was under pressure after our poor performances in the early rounds. We had a few good weeks in a row, and I got the impression that Barrett was really fired up for those couple of weeks as he could see his job was under pressure.

After that though we slipped back to mediocrity. I don't think Barrett could keep up being a hardarse, as it doesn't come naturally to him, so he reverted to his usual nice guy personality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,353 / 111
    The fact that nobody from the Titans or Manly can name 1 (one) solitary good thing he has done for either club. Not one. He was Michael Searle's best friend and that got him SO much koala status at the titans. The cowboys found out pretty quick that he is a myth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Harry Smith

Harry Smith I think i'm actually a bloody Sea Eagle

Ratings:
    +734 / 75
    Let's bloody hope so

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ALinda

ALinda Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +979 / 5
    Not sure about "easy" top 4 but certainly top 8, at least.

14. ALinda

ALinda Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +979 / 5
    Spot on! In particular that game at Brooky against the Panthers, or his reaction after it, was what clinched the 'worst buy' tag for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Harvies elbow

Harvies elbow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    Hopefully good riddance to the greatest gatherer of dust in the NRL coaching cupboard.....
    And stay out !!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,904 / 27
    I won't be crying in my beer if Cartwright makes an early exit....it might be an unfair thing to say but at least Barrett gives the impression that he cares about winning.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,116 / 287
    The day I saw him laughing at Barrett losing his **** in the box, was the day I turned off Cartwright forever. It was raised with him, and he defended it, but boy, what a dickhead.

Just like his key recruit in Myles, laughing up a storm with his Broncos buddies just after they flogged us - then posting Broncos Nation on his Twitter feed.

We need to weed these imposters, and interlopers out of the club. If you're not Manly - **** OFF !! That's why I want Des back - maroon and white blood at the core.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. double hoops

double hoops Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,633 / 113
    The suggestion Carty has been tapped on the shoulder is interesting. Who is ready and waiting to fill the void?

19. maxta

maxta Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Toowoomba, Queensland
    Ratings:
    +2,355 / 56
    Can you specify what part confuses you....
    Did you watch any games?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,159 / 26
    I think he's crap. Nathan Brown is probably the only one worse than him.

• Agree Agree x 1