1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carney a Rooster

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by DUFFMAN, Feb 10, 2009.

1. DUFFMAN

DUFFMAN Active Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 5
    The Roosters and Todd Carney have approached the NRL to get permission for Todd to play for the Roosters in 2009.

A mate who told me this last week (he is friends with someone high at the Roosters), Didn't believe it but there is a story in Wednesdays Telegraph about it. He also said that the Roosters believe Mitchell Pearce is all but a Sea Eagle come 2010 and wanted to tie up Carney. 

2. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    The Rorters forward pack are getting incredibly long in the tooth.  Little wonder Pearce would want to play behind something a little more mobile.

3. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    With Fittler coming out and saying that Anasta will play lock and then suggesting that some 'ranga' 20 year old will get first dibs at 5/8, it now makes sense. Carney and Pearce in the halves would be quite interesting.

I nearly choked on my corn flakes when I heard the report this morning. I can't see how the NRL can register Carney, having said they wouldn't and also based on the refusal to do the same for Bird.

Interesting also to note that serial bad-boy Ngaima is also in trouble again and has been stood down pending an investigation (read waiting till it all blows over again.)

4. Zep

Zep Active Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    The rehabilitation program of the club i would only assume CW.

Anasta at lock is a perfect pos for him imho. Carney deserves a last chance even though he probably has had enough. And with carney at roosters it makes it more likely that pearce will join manly.

5. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    Yeah he will be a reformed character with all those Rorters choir boys as inspiration for him.

6. Zep

Zep Active Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    [move]o rly?[/move]

7. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    MAybe he'll get white line fever like the rest of the Bondi boys.

8. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    If Manly miss Carney then I can see DSM5 giving Gallop and Politis another roasting :)

9. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    You're right there MB.  But I can't really see how the NRL can refuse Carney the right to earn a living playing NRL.  He wasn't sacked for an on-field discretion, rather a social one, that the Raiders felt was not in the image they wanted to have off their club players, like Cronulla did with Bird (both unfair in my opinion).  We've got our own troubled souls but don't sack them for social misdemeanors.  On the maybe Pearce signing, he is just not good enough and obviously the Roosters feel the same way or they would be stating that they want to keep him.  Carney plays with more go forward and I'd hate it if we get Peace for big bucks.  He really reminds me of luke Dorn because he plays a very similar game.  He is easily put of his game and gets run over way to often.  It's interesting how many points we put on the Roosters in our last two meetings.  That says it all for any of their players, especially their pivots.     

10. Canteen Worker

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    Wasn't Carney threatened with deregistration though as he brought the whole game of Rugby League into dispute as well as his individual club. I am sure that he was told he had to have a year off over here. That's why he took his trip to Africa, to change his image and show signs of concern for others. I can't see how the League can change their mind, if I am correct in what their position was.

11. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Was he threatened with deregistration or is he deregistered?  If he's not deregistered surely to stop him from pursuing employment is a restraint of trade.  If the Roosters are chasing his signature, then I can't see why we shouldn't too, if we've got the coin.  If we don't want him, fair enough,  we should develop our own Ox replacement rather than buy a Dorn clone like Pearce.  Another question;  Will the Ox play on into 2010 and on?  Anybody know his future plans?   

12. eagle_predator

eagle_predator Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CW interesting you mention Carney working in Africa on the Hope in Rwanda project rebuilding new houses and well done to them all for that. along with the likes of Nathan Hindmarsh, Jared Hargreaves, and Co.

I was listening to 2UE this afternoon and a caller said to Brandy & Gibbo that Tod Carney was in trouble again ? something to do with Goulburn NSW.

Not sure when this happened it could be old news ? he did go on to say that Carney would never change.

13. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Goulburn is such a hole.  My sister lives down there and I sometimes have to visit.  Dreadful place, stinking hot in the summer, freezing in the winter, flies everywhere, zero to do for youth except get on the grog and drive.   

14. eagle_predator

eagle_predator Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I couldn't live there I've been through Goulburn plenty of times over the years on my way to the ACT,Cootamundra and Cowra etc.. and stopped to have a bite to eat.

15. Canteen Worker

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    Goulburn was a great place to stop on the way somewhere but also a great place to leave!!!!

16. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    FRENCH rugby has emerged as the potential last throw of the dice for banned league star Todd Carney if, as expected, he is unable to talk his former club, Canberra, into clearing him to play in the NRL this year.

17. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Eagle P, whereabouts did you stop to eat?  The place has a few greasy joints but nothing of any substance.  There used to be a very good cafe at Collector called the Linwood cafe..  Don't know whether it still exists but it served excellent coffee and just the place to stop on the way to or from the snow.     

18. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    The whole of Gouburn's economy revolved around pinging visitors for speeding on main roads with suburban street speed limits.

One of the best things that ever happened in NSW was building the Goulburn by-pass. May the banjos stay silent on their front porches.