Captains divided on interchange impacts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Captains divided on interchange impacts

By Chris Kennedy,
National Correspondent, NRL.com

Sat 27 Feb, 2016, 12:00pm

NRL club captains have mixed views on what sort of impact the reduction in interchanges will have this Telstra Premiership season, and whether the figure should have been dropped from 10 straight to six.

There has been much discussion through the pre-season on exactly what effects a reduction from 10 to eight interchanges will have, with many noting coaches kept a couple of interchanges in reserve right up until the end of games last season.

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen said it would have been better to drop the figure straight to six while Eels captain Tim Mannah praised the safety-first approach, though both agreed the decrease by two is unlikely to have a drastic impact.

Click here to read more.

Old mate Des was preparing for the interchange reduction when he was still with Manly. Back then we kept asking why he'd leave someone on the bench for the full 80mins but now we know... he was AHEAD OF HIS TIIIIME.

Problem for Dez and everyone else is the impact of the concussion rule.
All of a sudden the Team can lose one or two players. Then the lack of fresh legs will exponentially weaken a Team @:cool:

Everyone can guess what impact it could have but we don't know. Surely having one more season of 8 interchanges, and seeing what happens is the sensible approach

Jake T, Myles and Kapow going off and coming back on is 6 of your interchanges. If you add a hooker rotation then your done. No room for injuries or the unexpected.

All forwards will need to play longer minutes and with minor injuries. Some won't be able to maintain the rage. Game plans will change as circumstances change.

The impact of the changes will be substantial.

Players such as Brown, Leary, Buhrer and Symonds that can slot from back row to centre or hooker become pivotal.

Provided he can stay concussion or injury free, I think the new interchange should suit someone like Jake Trbojevic. He proved last year that he's an old fashion style front rower who thrives on actually being on the park rather than spending half the game resting on the bench.

But personally I do think that the NRL should look at taking a leaf out of the AFL's book. Have an extra player on the bench who can only be used to replace a concussion (or major injury). That way if someone gets a head knock or even does something like an ACL, the team isn't adversely affected by having to use an interchange.

Related Article:

Michael Ennis has urged the NRL to reduce the interchange to six as soon as next year

• February 28, 2016
  • by Nick Walshaw
  • Source: The Daily Telegraph

CRONULLA hooker Michael Ennis has urged the NRL to spend only a year using eight interchanges if they want to again produce legends like Allan Langer and Geoff Toovey.

Among the game’s best thinkers, and a regular Fox Sports panellist, Ennis says the NRL must lower its interchange to six by 2017 as too many “natural footballers” are still being lost from the code.

In fact, the Sharks veteran wants the six-interchange system brought in for players as young as 12.

“Eight interchanges isn’t going to make enough difference,’’ Ennis warns of the rule change for this year. “It will make some, but six is what will really benefit the game.

“And we need to filter it down to the juniors, to the school systems, all the way down to the under 13s.

“Then we’ll see the guys I loved to watch growing up — the Allan Langers and Geoff Tooveys — all those little guys, natural footy players, who’ll get that opportunity to play without having to tackle all day.”

Click here to read more.

Provided he can stay concussion or injury free, I think the new interchange should suit someone like Jake Trbojevic. He proved last year that he's an old fashion style front rower who thrives on actually being on the park rather than spending half the game resting on the bench.

But personally I do think that the NRL should look at taking a leaf out of the AFL's book. Have an extra player on the bench who can only be used to replace a concussion (or major injury). That way if someone gets a head knock or even does something like an ACL, the team isn't adversely affected by having to use an interchange.
Concussion is an injury, in fact a pretty serious one. No reason that shouldn't use up an interchange. However, clubs should name their 17 but should be allowed to have as many other reserves available as they want, to be used only if they have to replace a victim of foul play. That definitely shouldn't have to cost them a normal interchange.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4